Home Sports Talk
Options

The Official LA Lakers 2010-2011 run for a Threepeat NBA Championship thread

bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
The Lakers just won their second NBA Championship in a row and will have their core together for the next season, but their are some big question marks.

Will Phil Jackson come back? That's a big part of the equation for a threepeat.

Kobe Bryant? He's been having his finger reset almost every game and his knee is worse than people think. Hopefully he'll take time off and get them addressed right away.

Bynum? Needs his knee operated asap. He's really progressed with his skill, but can he stay healthy?

Fisher? I think he's a key player for the Lakers and they need to re-sign him, but he will need to playing on a more limited basis to allow the growth of a younger guard. His leadership and intangibles are very important to the Lakers success.

Walton? I think he's been injury prone and his 4.8 Million Dollar salary could be used towards someone else. I've always like him, but his injuries have limited his progress and hindered his playing time.

Adam Morrison just finished his second season and got paid over 5 Million for the 2010 season and was not a contributor to the teams success. 2011 needs to be a productive year for him.

I think the Lakers need another key player but do they have the cash and roster spot?

Either way, I think if Jackson re-signs everything else should fall in place for a good shot at another championship.

Also, I think the Lakers chances greatly depends on where James, Wade and some of the other players land.....If James lands with a top team it could be big trouble for the Lakers and Celtics.

brian

Comments

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about LeBron signing with the Lakers?

Could Kobe and LeBron co exist on the same team?
  • Options

<< <i>How about LeBron signing with the Lakers?

Could Kobe and LeBron co exist on the same team? >>

LeBron on the Lakers would be incredible, but I don't see it as realistic. Lakers would have to dump some salary and get LeBron as a somewhat reduced salary and maybe even defer some salary during the next few years...Can owners defer salary like the NFL????

LeBron strikes me as a very intelligent person and I'm sure he's putting championships ahead of money, but within reason. Larry King was interviewed a couple of days after his LeBron's interview and said he believes Clippers would be high on the list for teams LeBron would be interested in playing for. Interesting.....

As far as Kobe co existing with a LeBron, I don't see it as a problem. Kobe wants championships and that's his main goal. So another super star on the Lakers would be gladly welcomed by Kobe.
  • Options
    Lakers starting the season well. Nice to see some of the stars getting some rest too. Looking forward to some games with some meaning.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    They trounced my Kings last night. image

The Lakers look good.
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    Once Andrew returns, this is the best laker team in the Koby era, including any team that included shag.

Barnes, Blake and the two rookies are great additions to the team.

going to be a great year in Lakers land!
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every time you say "threepeat" you owe Pat Riley 50 cents.
  • Options

<< <i>Once Andrew returns, this is the best laker team in the Koby era, including any team that included shag.

Barnes, Blake and the two rookies are great additions to the team.

going to be a great year in Lakers land! >>

Hate to ever say a certain team is better than a previous team, but this years Lakers team does have some great depth compared to the previous two teams.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I hope we see you in the finals again.
  • Options

<< <i>Every time you say "threepeat" you owe Pat Riley 50 cents. >>

lol
  • Options

<< <i>I hope we see you in the finals again. >>

I don't care who makes the Finals out of the East as long as its against the Lakers.
  • Options
    A Celtics vs Lakers finals is always great.
  • Options
    I don't want to be one of those guys who just posts when their team is kicking azz...So I thought this morning I would do a newspaper headline of last nights Lakers game.

<< <i>BUCKS Slaughter the Lackers >>

Here is the headline from the LA Times

Lakers lie down flat in shocking loss to Milwaukee
    By Broderick Turner

Here is the headline from my local paper in the South Bay (Daily Breeze)

Lakers look like deer in headlights against Bucks

This is the link title on Espn to the story.

Kobe ejected in 4th, Bucks dismantle Lakers
    ---------------------------------------------------------

I hear the interviews with Phil Jackson and all of the Lakers and I get it...Phil says they aren't working hard in practice and their practices are just over an hour long. They are veterans and they just want to be at full strength in May and June....But come on guys....We are into the season right now and you have only beaten one or 2 quality opponents.

Maybe you guys will show up on Xmas day and step up your game against the Heat.

brian
  • Options
    Based on the Lakers Christmas record the last 11 years I was expecting the worst when they would play the Heat.

Then Phil Jackson talked to the media and expressed how he felt about playing on Christmas day. WFT Phil? Talk about giving your team the wrong Zen for the game. I knew it could be another lackluster performance and it was.

The Heat played tight defense and played both sides of the ball and killed the Lakers.

So far the Lakers have only beat one quality team this year. Hopefully they will start playing soon...Maybe next month? Or End of April? We'll see. One thing is for sure...Not that I would have wasted that much money on a ticket, but I'm Glad I didn't shell out $600 for one crappy seat for yesterday's game like many others did.

brian

• Options
    Holy Crap Lakers! We beat a team last night with a winning record!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for showing up last night. Now lets build on it!

brian
  • Options
    Kobe shot lights out last night in the 4th and Odom is really playing some good ball.

Glad to see the Lakers pull it out last night. I gotta say the Warriors shot their butts off last night. Very good game.

brian
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    This might be the first time ever that I would root for the Lakers in the finals.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options

<< <i>This might be the first time ever that I would root for the Lakers in the finals. >>

Would you be rooting for the Lakers because you don't like Lebron and you think the Heat will be in the Finals?

brian
  • Options
    Should be a good game today with the C's and Lakers.
  • Options

<< <i>Should be a good game today with the C's and Lakers. >>

I hope it's a good game, but it depends on which Lakers show up today. They are still playing short practices and not playing great for long periods of time.

THe Lakers really need to tighten it up against the playoff teams like the Celtics.

brian
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This might be the first time ever that I would root for the Lakers in the finals. >>

Would you be rooting for the Lakers because you don't like Lebron and you think the Heat will be in the Finals?

brian >>

Possibly, yes.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    I think the quest for a threepeat is about over. Lakers playing terrible and Dallas at the top of there game. Lakers are a great road team, but winning two in Dallas is pretty much out of the question.

been a great run, not to many can say they were in the finals three straight, winning two.!!

Phil winning 11 rings in 21 seasons is simply amazing!
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not count the Lakers out yet.

They can turn it on when they have to. Game three in Dallas will require that they turn it on.

As for Dallas, I remember them having a 2-0 lead against Miami in the 2006 Finals and then losing 4 straight to give D. Wade, Shaq and others a title. The next year, Dallas was the #1 seed in the West and they stunk up round one losing to the Golden State Warriors.

The entire history of the Dallas Mavs is one of unmet expectations. Lots of promise that is not fulfilled. Maybe this year will be different for Dallas, but until I see Dallas win four games against the Lakers, I do not count the Lakers out [now if Dallas wins game 3 in Dallas to take a 3-1 lead, I will say that the Lakers are done].
  • Options
    Even if Dallas wins game 3, I would not count the Lakers out. Dallas choking 4 games in a row is a real possibility.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Winning a series after a 0-3 start has never been done in the NBA....yet.

It's bound to happen sometime...might as well be the Lakers. Remember 2004 ..... Red Sox down 0-3 to NYY.....came back to win AL and went on to sweep the Red Turds in the WS!
  • Options
    Wow what a pathetic exit by the Lakers. Not the way Jackson wanted to go out, but with 11 titles, he could probably care less.