Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Just added 5 more varieties to my Dime Sets....

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Added the following coins:

1820 JR1 Statesof America PCGS20
1820 JR2 Office Boy PCGS35

1876-CC DDO 102 Right CC HI PCGS30
1889 DDR PCGS58

1899-O/O PCGS45

There are pics of the 1820's and the 1899-O/O

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

Widdling down to the final few!
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good Job! Very cool. Congrats.

Greg
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    DaveEDaveE Posts: 367
    Your a variety animal!

Congrats.

• Options
    coolkarmacoolkarma Posts: 512 ✭✭
    Excellent! Since you are the Dime variety King, what can you tell me about this one:

imageimage

I must admit, I picked up because I thought the doubling on ONE DIME was impressive and not because I knew anything about it. Can you enlighten me? Thanks.

Enjoy!

Richard
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Excellent! Since you are the Dime variety King, what can you tell me about this one:

imageimage

I must admit, I picked up because I thought the doubling on ONE DIME was impressive and not because I knew anything about it. Can you enlighten me? Thanks.

Enjoy!

Richard >>

Nothing is mentioned in The Cherrypickers' Guide about your coin(doubling in ONE DIME). It is the common Type I Reverse...I can tell you that. I think the obverse grades VG-8 and the reverse would grade a little bit better than that...possibly as high as F-15.

Maybe Jon will wake up soon to enlighten all of us? image

I like the coin, Richard. Nice doubling. image

Greg
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    I'm up!

Doubling on the reverse of 1876-CC dimes is rather common. There are different degrees of doubling and yours has real nice doubling. It is the type 1 reverse as Greg stated with uneven CC's.

At one time I had about 30 different 76-CC dimes. Different date placements. Different mint mark placements.

Nice coin. Hope I answered your question.
  • Options
    coolkarmacoolkarma Posts: 512 ✭✭
    I'm up too image

Thanks, that is helpful. I actually had some additional questions which I should have included.

What kind of doubling is it? Perhaps it is listed in one of the specialized dime books?
    I thought: Class II distorted hub doubling, but that usually occurs near the rim and is more uniform
    or Class IV offset hub doubling, but the degree of doubling is not constant
    or Class VIII tilted hub doubling, with the earlier hubbing incomplete
    or my favorite Class IX God only knows (all Classes from The Authoritative Reference on Buffalo Nickels by Wexler, Pope and Flynn).

For Buffalo nickels it is unusual for doubling to occur only towards the center of the coin (perhaps because of the design). Is this true also for dimes?

If listed somewhere, is there a rarity estimate?

Any more help would also be appreciated.

Enjoy!

Richard
  • Options

Sorry Richard, I don't know what class of doubling this is. All I know is that it is very common on the 76-CC dimes. Not rare at all.

Again sorry.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats on getting a bit closer on the dimes image wtg