Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What the heck is this coin?

A co-worker came into my office asking what this coin is. He said that he found it in the parking lot of the county courthouse. I have no clue what it is. If I were to guess, I would guess a 100 yen coin from 1963. It's about the size of an American quarter. Any idea of the value?

PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.

Comments

• Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>If I were to guess, I would guess a 100 yen coin from 1963. >>

Close. It's a 100 yen coin from year 63 of the Showa era, which is 1988.

<< <i>Any idea of the value? >>

100 yen. image

Okay- face value is about $1.10, and since it's kind of beat up, I doubt there's any collector value much above that.
  • Options

<< <i>face value is about $1.10, and since it's kind of beat up, I doubt there's any collector value much above that. >>

I'd be glad to sell a few hundred in equal or better condition for postage and 1¢ (each) over face.
    Roy

• Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>I'd be glad to sell a few hundred in equal or better condition for postage and 1¢ (each) over face. >>

Considering that these can often be found in four for a dollar junk boxes, you could conceivably be making money selling them under face. image
  • Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    Yes. But who is buying at face or anything close to?
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info gang! I appreciate the help!
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.