by far the strongest example we
have ever seen and it is certainly
believed to be the finest
known. £5250.00

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, good work Jeff as that is the coin I saw. Ouch, looks impressive from what I can tell...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Love the "virtually" Bu part.
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the "virtually" Bu part.

Well, on the bright side, look at all the descriptions you have to look forward to:

Practically Uncirculated

Nearly as Struck

Mint Bloom is evident

and I could go on and on...image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Would like to see in hand but can see a 63 or 64 dep on if the obv. has polishing about/around bust. They frequently use "practically" for coins not quite gem at CCC but ch. unc. to US (ie the 63-4). Color looks good and rev. very PL. Obverse with what seems to be good strike for this issue which I have seen with rather poorly struck obv. hair & veil detail & thus allowing for relatively low grades of extant specimens despite not a lot of wear (at least on the VF specimens I have seen).

Can somebody linkify the Cheshire '93 Jubilee head 6d?
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Would like to see in hand but can see a 63 or 64 dep on if the obv. has polishing about/around bust. They frequently use "practically" for coins not quite gem at CCC but ch. unc. to US (ie the 63-4). Color looks good and rev. very PL. Obverse with what seems to be good strike for this issue which I have seen with rather poorly struck obv. hair & veil detail & thus allowing for relatively low grades of extant specimens despite not a lot of wear (at least on the VF specimens I have seen).

Can somebody linkify the Cheshire '93 Jubilee head 6d? >>

Page down to lot 2928. The large image does not seem to generate. Goldberg's archives have been problematical for quite some time.

Lot 2928 realized $3,220. in May 2005
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Not much doubt about the strike on that one - very nice. It would be a bummer to plunk down the £5,250 only to find out that it is cleaned. There are probably few others if any like it though.

Interesting trivia: this coin catalogued at £60 in UNC in the first British catalogue I ever had, printed just before the decimal coinage switchover.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    I wonder if it has sold yet?
  • Options
    Not much to tell from the little pic of the Cheshire. Might have that catalog about but would have to search for a while...

Makes one wonder what other coins might be held by the source of this one...
  • Options
    A bit of research on this "oldie" & on reliable authority that the coin is NOT cleaned but very small tick near to mouth of Vicky.

How would others rate rarity of unc. Vicky 6ds?

I would rate as follows:

- Virtual tie between 1854 and 1893 Jubilee
    - 1878 "Dritanniar" ....well very close to the above two but just a varietal if of some fame
    - 1848/6 very close in rarity to the above
    - 1863, 1869
    - tie between many also-rans such as 1882, 1876, 1843, 1846, 1867, 1868

• Options
    I would add 1878/7, thought to be higher rarity than all the others on your list.
  • Options
    Think I might put that '78/7 in the category as the Dritanniar but less famous. Certainly, if an unc. of these was matched to the '54 or '93 Jubilee at the same price, would have to go for one of the latter. Seen a couple of these overdates in high grade over the last five years or so (but not sure if any were duplicates)...
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We do have real experts here. This is a very interesting thread.
  • Options
    I'd add 1858 and 1870 and remove 1843 and 1846 from the "also-ran" list. 1882 in true uncleaned UNC is pretty tough and might fall more into the 1863/1869 category. The only 1882s I have seen for sale over the last several years have been cleaned and/or overgraded by the famous British overgrader/seller. The last time I looked / inquired, only one was in a slab from either major US TPG.

The 1878/7 piece is certainly not famous, so it might get a lower price. Price and rarity don't seem to correlate, as we witnessed when Heritage sold red UNC 1900 and 1901 pennies for ridiculous prices.
  • Options
    Yes, a bit of debate on some of the marginal scarcities. I have a proof and currency 1870 so this would not be a rare date to me, but might be to others. 1858s I have always been able to find as well, but rated "R" as I recall in ESC.

This series, Victorian 6ds seem to be unappreciated overall.