Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

High School Yearbook Thread - New: Dwight Clark (Sophomore)

Comments

• Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    1984 Montoursville High School Yearbook (Montoursville, Pennsylvania), titled "Sock."
    This was the Freshman year for future MLB star Mike Mussina, who attended the school and appears in the book a number of times.

Mussina has a Freshman class individual yearbook photo (page 76); is shown in the Spanish Club group photo (page 86); is shown in the Varsity Baseball Team group photo (page 120); is shown in a small baseball group photo (page 121); is shown in a second small baseball group photo (page 121) (one of these is likely the pitchers); is shown in the Junior Varsity Football Team group photo (page 136); is shown in the Varsity Football Team group photo (page 136); and is shown in the Freshmen Basketball Team group photo (page 138).

The 1983-84 Mountoursville Varsity Baseball Team finished with an 11-8 record, failing to make the playoffs by one game and for the first time in several years.

The Junior Varsity Football team won it's third championship in four years with a 6-1 record.

(Will add notes of where Mussina is the group photos tomorrow, see if you can guess.)

Spanish Club group photo

Varsity Baseball Team group photo

Junior Varsity Football Team group photo

Caption notes "Mike Mussina booms one to the goal line. Shawn Crawford looks for daylight."

Freshmen Basketball Team group photo

Former professional baseball pitcher Michael Cole Mussina was born December 8, 1968 in Williamsport, Pennsylvania. A standout from MontoursvilleHigh School, Mussina was drafted by the Baltimore Orioles in 1987 but chose to attended college rather then sign. In three years at Stanford University, Mussina compiled a 31-16 record with a 3.89 ERA, and helped Stanford make two World Series appearances.

Mike Mussina was drafted by the Batlimore Orioles again, this time in the 1st round of the 1991 MLB Amateur Draft and he made his Major League debut on August 4, 1991. He played for the Baltimore Orioles (1991-2000) and the New York Yankees (2001-2008). In his 18-year career, "Moose" carried a career 3.68 ERA and 3.42 postseason ERA, he won 270 games with a .638 win percentage. Mussina was a 5-time All-Star selection (1992-1994, 1997 & 1999) and a 7-time Gold Glove Award winner (1996-1999, 2001, 2003 & 2008).
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    1967 Fair Lawn High School Yearbook (Fair Lawn, New Jersey), titled "Crimson Tide."

In this yearbook, future Ohio State Buckeye's star Bruce Jankowski is in the Senior class and future Basketball Hall of Fame coach Hubie Brown is the school's basketball coach and an assistant football coach.

Bruce Jankowski Senior Class Photo

According to Brown, he recalls the first time he ever saw Jankowski. After finishing a session of the summer basketball league he ran at Fair Lawn, Hubie Brown, plus two Duke assistants, Chuck Daly and Tom Carmody, went out for pizza and beer. As they left, they saw a sight Brown said he'll never forget. Running in the dark, wearing a weighted vest, was a soon-to-be ninth-grader named Bruce Jankowski.

"I was a little bit psychotic," Jankowski said with a laugh when told the story. "I would do three, four workouts per day. I did crazy things."

But that, said Brown, who eventually coached Jankowski at Fair Lawn, speaks volumes about an athlete who's arguably the greatest in school history.

"He had, from Day One, the work ethic, the athletic tools, [the] competitiveness, [and was] not going to be beaten by anyone." said Brown. "He was the total package."

Still, Jankowski said, "I was a little nutso."

Most Popular Students

Bruce Jankowski led the 1966-67 Fair Lawn Varsity Football Team to it's most successful season and won the 1966 Northern New Jersey Interscholastic League Championship with an 8-1 record, losing the final game to Ridgewoodand and with it a possible state championship.

Jankowski is shown in the Varsity Club (page 79), in the Varsity Football Team group photo (page 82), playing in a football game and running with the ball around a defender (page 83), in the Varsity Baseball Team group photo (page 96), playing baseball and beating the ball to first base (page 97), voted most popular (page 120) and has a Senior Class photo (page 160).

Varsity Club Group Photo, Jankowski is the second person in the second row.

Varsity Baseball Team Group Photo

Varsity Baseball Team Captains, Jankowski is on the right.

"Bruce Jankowski beats the relay as he legs out an infield hit against Clifton."

Varsity Football Team Group Photo

Varsity Football Team Captains, Jankowski is on the left.

"Bruce Jankowski starts around right end against Lodi."

Varsity Football Team Coaches, Hubie Brown is the fourth coach, second from end.

Hubie Brown led the school to it's first winning season (14-10) in many years. In the four paragraph write-up about the season, Brown is talked about in two of them. It notes "Coach Brown deserves a great deal of credit as he used his vast basketball knowledge and experience to transform the perennial losers of the league into a contending team." After the following season, Brown would leave for the College of William and Mary and his path to the NBA.

Brown shown inside the front and back cover of the yearbook (same image) talking to his basketball players, in the center of a basketball court with the Varsity Basketball Team around him (page 88), in a photograph with the three Varsity Basketball Team co-captains (page 88) and with the Varsity Football coaches (page 82).

Varsity Basketball Team Group Photo, Hubie Brown, the head coach is in the center of the court with his two assistants around him.

Varsity Basketball Team Captains with coach Brown.

Inside the front and back cover of the yearbook.

Former NBA basketball coach and current television basketball analyst Hubert Jude "Hubie" Brown was born September 25, 1933 in Hazleton, Pennsylvania.

Following nine years of coaching high school basketball, Brown served as an assistant coach at the College of William and Mary in 1968 before joining Duke University in 1969 as an assistant coach. Brown coached at Duke until 1972, leaving to join the NBA as an assistant coach for the Milwaukee Bucks under Larry Costello.

After two seasons in the NBA, Brown left to be the head coach of the Kentucky Colonels in the American Basketball Association (ABA). Brown led the Colonels to the 1975 ABA Championship, but when the ABA and the NBA merged in 1976, the Colonels was one of two ABA teams that folded and did not join the NBA. Brown rejoined the NBA, this time as a head coach for the Atlanta Hawks.

From 1976 to 2004, Brown was the head coach of the Atlanta Hawks, the New York Knocks and the Memphis Grizzlies. He was twice named the NBA Coach of the Year (1978 & 2004).

Brown served as the lead basketball analyst for CBS in 1988 and remained with CBS unil the end of their NBA coverage in 1990. Brown anchored TNT's basketball coverage from the early 1990s through the 2001-02 season and is currently with ESPN/ABC. Hubie Brown was elected into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2005 as a contributor.

Former professional football wide receiver Bruce D. Jankowski was born on August 12, 1949 in Paterson, New Jersey. Jankowski attended Ohio State University where he played NCAA college football with the OSU Buckeyes under Woody Hayes. In 1968, Jankowski helped lead Ohio State to a National Title, making the November 11, 1968 Sports Illustrated cover scoring a fourth quarter touchdown against Michigan State University, and preserving the Buckeye's undefeated season.

The Kansas City Chiefs selected Bruce Jankowski in the 1971 NFL Draft. Jankowski played for the Kansas City Chiefs in 1971 and 1972.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    As usual some outstanding posts here.

I have a few yearbooks with Peter Falk in them and one with Craig Harnett (CFO NHL)

Thanks for sharing Mark.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Where are you picking them all up from, ebay?

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options

<< <i>Where are you picking them all up from, ebay?

Mike >>

Yes, for the most part I bought them all, as well as most of the ones I will be posting, over a 3-4 week period on eBay. I did get lucky and get a few in lots and most where not identified as a notable in them, so they sold for little. I would guess I am about half way through the ones I can post here.

I have a file I created so I know what to look for. It is a work in progress, but between it, Google, and eBay seller descriptions, it's not hard to find a yearbook or two. I should expand to abe and the like, but I am trying to curb my internet buy-buy addiction....so I have been laying off buying things for the most part the last couple weeks. Trying might be the key word.

If searching ebay, there are a couple things you can do to increase you odds. For example, if looking for sports yearbooks, Texas, Florida and California high schools likely have an unfair advantage of having players. Also, some schools are K-12, these are usually called "Hall" or "Academy" (not always), but if you know a player went there for 12 years it can be easy finding one.

Some schools in have several stars over a number of years, each who may have attended 4 years. Take Beverly Hills High School. It is almost impossible to buy one from the last 40 years, minus the last 5-10, without some star in them.

There are also yearbook sellers, many who price them quite fair.

Two times I have gotten lucky and the signature of the notable I was looking for was in the yearbook, and not noted when I purchased. Bob Grich, was sold as a Bob Grich yearbook, he signed it an unusual spot and I guess the seller didn't notice, and Donald Rumsfeld, who the seller did not know was in the book. (On the Rumsfeld the seller had two more YB's, owned by the same classmate of Rumsfeld...so I bought them also, and of course, no Rumsfeld sig. in them.)

Still, it is possible to buy a high school yearbook with your favorite athlete for under $10 in an eBay auction and get lucky and find their signature inside. (With my current odds about 1:45...not too bad).

Many times a student attending the high school is not in the yearbook. For future sport players this is less common due to sport team photos and many other times the photos are not labeled well. So they are kind of like lottery tickets if you do not know what is in the book.

You know, posting all the yearbook information is not exactly wise of me in the sense of trying to collect and sell them. I was unsure at first on doing such, but a well liked list member offered to send me a yearbook with a sport notable in it...free of charge. So it's all good. Now if I can just get CU to split the ad revenue it has gotten from this thread...

I also like to pick up college football ticket stubs with Heisman players during their Heisman year, or years as in Griffin, and then look up the games in the newspapers of the day. Perhaps when I get caught up with all my yearbooks in this thread I will start one on them. You might notice a heavy football influence in this thread and I have been trying to mix the sports up so it does not appear all football, but that is where my interest and good share of what my sport YB's are.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
  • Options
    1994 George Washington High School Yearbook (Chicago, Illinois), titled "Heritage."

Attending this school and in the Senior class is future WNBA star Tangela Smith.

Tangela was very active in the school as was a member of the Basketball Team, the Track Team, The Know Your Heritage Club, the Student Leadership Club, the N.H.S. Club and was part of the Science Fair.

A Co-captain of the Varisty Basketball Team, Tangela was a 1994 All-State selection, named a High School All-America by Kodak and by the WBCA (Women's Basketball Coaching Association). Tangela was also invited to the 1994 WBCA High School All-American Game, where she scored 3 pts.

imageimage
    Senior Class Photo, Graduated 15th in Class

English Department gifted program

College Mathematicians, advanced math class

With a classmate

Varsity Basketball Team Starters

Varsity Basketball Team

imageimage
    Captain of the Varsity Basketball Team, Tangela making a shot.

Professional basketball player Tangela Nicole Smith was born April 1, 1977 in Chicago, Illinois. Smith attended the University of Iowa where she played from 1995 to 1998, and holds the Iowa team records for blocks in a game (7), season (73) and career (235). Smith was named the 1997-98 Chicago Tribune Most Valuable Player and in 1998, she was named the Big Ten Player of the Year.

The Sacramento Monarchs selected Tangela Smith in the 1st round (12th pick overall) in the 1998 WNBA Draft. She played for the Monarchs from 1998 to 2004, helping them reach the playoffs in 5 of her 6 seasons with the team.

In 2005, Smith was traded to the Charlotte Sting. When the Sting folded after the 2006, Smith's rights were acquired by the Minnesota Lynx in the dispersale draft. On Draft Day in April 2007, Smith was traded by the Sting to the Phoenix Mercury for the #1 overall pick Lindsey Harding.

Smith, a 2006 NWBA All-Star selection, has played in the WNBA 12 of it's 14 seasons and currently ranks in the top 10 in WNBA history in six career categories: points, rebounds, blocks, field goals made, field goals attempted and minutes. In 2010, she became the 4th player in WNBA history to notch 4,500 pts and 2,000 rebounds.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    As always very enjoyable stuff. I would add you also can find schools, like the one I went to, that had yearbooks for younger ages. That is, my school was 4th grade through 12th. A lot of people (especially athletes) transferred to a "real" school for high school. Thus, someone like Leo Dicaprio went there for 7th and 8th grade before transferring to a bigger school. He got there the year after I graduated so I don't have his yearbook. I do have young yearbook photos of Patricia Arquette and Davie Arquette though. However, not sports so I am not posting here. Anyway, just a thought as you search for yearbooks out there.
  • Options
    1980 Edison High School Yearbook (Hunting Beach, California), titled "Oracle."
    This yearbook features three future notables. Future NFL player Mark Boyer and golf putter maker Scott Cameron are in the Senior Class. Future sportscaster/television host Lisa Coles Guerrero, then named Lisa Coles is in the Sophomore Class.

The Edison Varsity Football team finished the season with a 12-2 record, losing one game by one point, and completely shutting out four oppenants. The team, ranked #1 all season, notched a victory over #2 Mater Dei and finished the year the CIF Champions.

The Varsity Basketball, with a 14-9 overall record had what coach Barry Leigh noted was a "semi-successful season." The Edison basketball squad made the CIF Playoffs and finished with a third place standing in the Sunset League.

Mark Boyer appears with in Varsity Football Team group photo (page 44); after receiving the football snap and placing the ball for a PAT (page 44-45); making a catch between two defenders (page 46); in the Varsity Basketball Team group photo (page 69); and has a Senior class yearbook photo (page 230).

Cameron is shown on the Varsity Gold Team group photo (page 105); swinging a golf club (page 105) and has a Senior class yearbook photo (page 232).

Coles is shown as a Hari Krishna chanting prayers with a friend (page 15); in the Drama Club group photo (page 149) and has a Sophomore class yearbook photo (page 318).

Mark Boyer Senior class yearbook photo.

Varisty Football Team group photo. Boyer is the first person in the top row.

Making a catch between two defenders.

Varsity Basketball Team group photo. Boyer is the sixth player, almost in the center (Jersey #45).

Scott Cameron Senior class yearbook photo.

Returning Varsity Golf lettermen. Cameron is the sixth person (and shortest?) in the top row.

"Swinging iron shots were characteristics of Scott Cameron's play."

Lisa Coles Guerrero Sophomore class photo.

Drama Club group photo. Lisa is the second to last person in the top row (with her head down).

"Hari Krishmas, Lisa Marcinko and Lisa Coles chant Krishna prayers to the judges." (Halloween contest).

Sportscaster, model, actress and host Lisa Coles Guerrero was born April 8, 1964 in Chicago, Illinois. A cheerleader for the Los Angeles Rams in the 1980s, Guerrero moved on to become the Entertainment Director for the Atlanta Falcons and the New England Patriots. In the 1990s, she starred in the television show Sunset Beach (as Francesca Vargas) and guest-starred in Frasier and The George Lopez Show.

Moving to Fox in 1999, Guerrero appeared on Sports Geniuses, Fox Overtime, Fox Exra Innings, and the Toughman competions shows before co-hosting The Best Damn Sports Show Period, with Tom Arnold and Michael Irvin, among others. In 2003, Guerrero left FOX for ABC's Monday Night Football. In 2006, Geurrero became a special correspondent on Inside Edition and the co-host of the VH1 game-show The World Series of Pop Culture. In 2007, she played the leading role and was the Executive Producer of the independent film A Plumm Summer.

Still working for Inside Edition, Guerrero is also a frequent guest on CNN Headline News and E!. Guerror was called "the hardest working sports reporter" by the Los Angeles Times, named one of the 100 most influential Hispanics in America by The Hispanic Business Journal and was invited by President George W. Bush to host a Hispanic luncheon at the White House in 2003.

Former professional football tight end Mark Boyer was born September 16, 1962 in Huntington Beach, California. Boyer attended the University of Southern California from 1981 to 1985. Boyer was a four-year lettermen with the USC Trojans from 1982 to 1985, helping lead the way to a Pac.10 Championship in 1984 and a win over Ohio State in the 1985 Rose Bowl. The 1984 Pac-10 All-Academic Team selection was a three time recipient of the David X. Marks Foundations “Scholar Athlete Award of Honor.”

The Indianapolis Colts selected Boyer in the 9th round of the 1985 NFL Draft. Boyer played for the Indianapolis Colts from 1985 to 1989 and the New York Jets from 1990 to 1992. Mark was known as a “prolific blocker,” he helped Hall of Fame running back Eric Dickerson lead the NFL in rushing in 1988 and was one the main reasons the New York Jets was a Top 5 NFL Rushing Team in 1990 and 1991. Solid hands helped Boyer catch 170 passes for over 1,500 yards and 6 touchdowns through 114 career games. After 8 seasons in the NFL, Mark retired in 1994 due to a back injury.

Golf putter maker Scotty Cameron was born November 8, 1962 in Glendale, California.

After a start making putters in a machine shop owned by a friend of his father, Cameron set up his own workshop in his mother in law's garage. In 1986, he started his first job in the golf industry with Ray Cook Golf Company in general sales. When the president of Ray Cook changed Cameron from being paid a salary instead of commission, Cameron decided it was time to leave. After parting ways he spent his time honing his machining skills and studying the putter designs of T.P. Mills and Karsten Solheim.

It was not until 1991 that Cameron manufactured his first retail production putter. It was nicknamed the Fry's Pity Putter. John Fry, the owner of Fry Golf in San Francisco and Cameron were playing golf and Fry felt sorry for Cameron and agreed to place an order for 700 putters. As Fry had suspected, his generosity gave Cameron the confidence to begin his own business and the launching pad for Scotty Cameron putters. Since 1993 more than 100 worldwide professional tournaments have been won by a player using a Scott Cameron putter. Tiger Woods, David Duval and Phil Mickelson are a few of the players that perfer a Cameron.

• Options
    benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    awesome thread!!!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    1990 St. John Bosco High School Yearbook (Bellflower, California).

This was the Junior year for future MLB star Nomar Garciaparra, who attended this school. (A Catholic high school under the Roman Catholic Archdicese of Los Angeles).

Garciaparra is shown in the Varsity Football Team group photo (page 70); has an individual football portrait photo (page 71); is shown in the Varsity Soccer Team group photo (page 90); is shown in the Varsity Baseball Team group photo (page 111); and has a Junior Class yearbook photo (page 120). He listed as a member of the Varsity Club and is mentioned (on page 117) in reguard to Juniors in the school making the varsity sport squads.

This was the first year for St. John's Varsity Football program. Despite being a new program and playing it's first four games on the road, St. John managed an early 2-2 record and at mid-season was tied for for the league lead. However after a couple heavy losses the team ended with a 4-6 record, including a 21-22 season final game loss that ended post season hopes. Garciaparra was the kicker on the team. It is reported he "could split the uprights from 50 yards."

St. John's Varsity Soccer team under coach John Fitzsimmons (class of 1979) was also in a rebuilding stage. Surprizing everyone, the team finished second in the Del Ray League, but would lose in the first round of the CIF Playoffs.

The Varsity Baseball team, with several returning lettermen (which means Garciaparra may not even has been a starter his Junior year) begin strong with a double-header two game sweep. The yearbook does not list the team's record online sources state that Garciaparra helped his high school team win the league championship his Junior and Senior seasons, earning MVP honors his final year. The yearbook does not confirm his Junior year team won the Championship, but does I guess hint to that. Strange if they did win the league championship for the yearbook to not just say it.

imageimage
    Junior Class Photo, Varsity Football Portrait

Varsity Football Team Group Photo, Garcia is #36, the ninth in the 3rd row.

Varsity Soccer Team Group Photo. Players are listed alphabetical. Perhaps the third from the end on the top row?

Varsity Baseball Team Group Photo. Players are listed alphabetical. Maybe first player in the second row?

Former professional baseball shortstop Anthony Nomar Garciaparra was born July 23, 1973, in Whittier, California. Originally drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers out of high school in the 5th round of the 1991 MLB Draft, but did not sign, choosing instead to attended Georgia Tech. At Georgia, Garciapparra was a two-time All-American, and helped lead the Yellow Jackets to the 1994 College World Series National Championship Series.

The Boston Red Sox selected Nomar Garciaparra in the 1st round (12th pick overall) in the 1994 MLB Amateur Draft. Garciaparra made his Major League debut on August 31, 1996. He played for the Boston Red Sox (1996-2004), the Chicago Cubs (2004-2005), the Los Angeles Dodgers (2006-2008) and the Oakland Athletics (2009).

Garciaparra exploded into the Majors in 1997, hitting 30 home runs and driving in 98 runs, while setting MLB records for most RBIs by a leadoff hitter and most homeruns by a rookie shortstop, and earning 1997 AL Rookie of the Year Award honors. He spent the first nine seasons of his 14-year career in Boston, where he developed into a fan favorite, a perennial All-Star, the best shortstop in team history and won batting titles in back-to-back seasons in 1999 and 2000. His career average with the Red Sox stands at .323, with 178 homers and 690 RBIs. Garciaparra was an 8-time All-Star selection (1997, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003 & 2006), a 1997 Silver Slugger Award winner and the 2006 NL Comeback Player of the Year.

Since 2003, he has been married to Olympian and World Cup Champion soccer star Mia Hamm. Hamm was on the 1996, 2000 & 2004 women's Olympic USA Soccer Teams. Garciaparra was a member of the 1992 Olympic USA Baseball Team. The couple have twin girls, Grace Isabella and Ava Caroline, who were born on March 27, 2007, in Los Angeles.
  • Options
    As I have the last few days, I am going to slow down to posting a yearbook every couple days at the moment. I would rather take a little extra time with then and not make it feel like an hour, sometimes plus choir. I kind of wish I would have taken more time with some of the entries in this forum.

Feel free to post yearbooks yourself (of course), as a couple others have. I like seeing what is out there.

If you see a yearbook I have posted you are interested in, feel free to make an offer, or if you have one for trade (with sport or non-sport notable), feel free to make a trade offer for something listed in my store, linked in my signature.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
  • Options
    1947 Thomas Jefferson High School Yearbook (San Antonio, Texas), titled "Monticello."
    This is the Senior high school year for NFL Pro Bowl'er Kyle Rote who attended this school.

Kyle Rote earned All-State honors in both basketball and football while leading the Varsity Basketball and Football teams Northern Division and 15AA Championships and to the Texas Interscholastic League Class AA Championship game, where they lose to the height advantaged El Paso team, 22-27.

Kyle Rote Sr. Yearbook Photo. (Looks like James Dean to me).

Varsity Football Team Group Photo.

Varsity Football Team Portrait Photo.

"Rote, 21, makes fateful try to catch Knight's pass in the end zone at Odessa game."

"Rote, 21, is stopped after counting all yardage."

"Knight, 30, lays a perfect block, paving the way for another of Rote's brilliant runs."

"Rote, 21, goes around end for first Jefferson touchdown."

"Rote, 21, shows brilliant running, putting blockers, Cody, 28, and Sowell, 34, between him and the Austin line backer."

"Rote, 21, slams his way through a quickly closing hole in the Lufkin line."

"Rote, 21, is stopped after a small gain in Lamar game."

Annual Football Banquet at GreenPastures. (From an ad in the yearbook. It appears Rote is setting third on the left side.)

Varsity Basketball Team Group Photo.

"Knight, Wilson and Taylor of Austin fight for a rebound in the action-packed fourth quarter."

"Rote leaps into a crip shot after dribbling past a Brackenridge guard."

"Rote drives in fast for a field goal early in the second quarter of the El Paso game in the finals of the State Championship playoffs in Austin."

"Rote, one of the best discus throwers in Texas, can hold his own in any competition; crouched foward with knees bent ready to sping, he will, in the next instant, send the discus sailing skyward."
    At one track meet during the 1946-47 school year, Rote threw one discus 153 feet and 9.5 inches, to help set the meet discus record of 144 feet 6 inches.

Former professional football running back William Kyle Rote, Sr. was born October 27, 1927 in San Antonio, Texas.
    Rote attended Southern Methodist University where he played in the backfield with Heisman Trophy winner Doak Walker. When Walker was forced to miss the 1949 SMU-Notre Dame game because of an injury, Rote replaced him, rushing for 115 yards, scoring 3 touchdowns, passing for 146 yards and handling the team's punting duties with a 48-yard average.

As a senior Rote became the team's starter and earned consensus All-American honors. He rushed for 762 yards, passed for 490, and scored thirteen touchdowns. While unimpressive by today's standards, at the time his output was considered phenomenal. By comparison, Doak Walker won the 1948 Heisman Trophy on the strength of 532 rushing yards and 304 passing. Rote left SMU with 2,049 rushing yards. A three-time College All-Star game selection, Rote was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1964.

The New York Giants selected Kyle Rote with the first overall pick in the 1951 NFL Draft. Rote played for New York his entire 11-year career (1951 to 1961) and was a four-time Pro Bowl selection. Serving originally as the team's running back and occasional flanker, Rote was moved to split end in 1953 when the Giants began using the three end formation.

During Rote's years with the Giants, they were Eastern Conference champions four times. They won the N.F.L. championship game in 1956, defeating the Chicago Bears, then lost to the Baltimore Colts in the memorable 1958 overtime game and in 1959, and to the Green Bay Packers in 1961.

In his career. Rote gained 871 yards in 231 rushing attempts with 4 TDs and caught 300 passes for 4,797 yards for 48 TDs.

While a player, Rote spent his offseasons as the sports director at radio station WNEW. After retiring following the 1961 season, and spending an additional two seasons as a backfield coach for the Giants, Rote went on the enjoy a second career as a sportscaster, working for NBC in the 1960s and 1970s.

The respect he gained on and off the field of competition led his peers to elect him first president of the NFL Players Association.

Kyle Rote, Sr. died on August 15, 2002. His son, Kyle Rote Jr., was one of the first notable soccer stars from the United States.
  • Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image
    Varsity Baseball Team Group Photo. Players are listed alphabetical. Maybe second from the end on the top row? >>

Looks like #5 is hiding second row, first on the left

Cool Thread!!! Keep em comin image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>image
    Varsity Baseball Team Group Photo. Players are listed alphabetical. Maybe second from the end on the top row? >>

Looks like #5 is hiding second row, first on the left

Cool Thread!!! Keep em comin image >>

THanks for the note. (Guess I could have looked at uniform numbers on that photo...doh!)
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    These are great -- thanks for taking the time to post all of this.
  • Options
    Cool stuff. Would love to see what yearbooks other board members have too.
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

imageimage
    Varsity Baseball Teams action photos are not labeled. Is this Dykstra playing what appears to be shortstop? (It could be his brother)

>>

I don't believe this is Lenny, as he's a lefty. Still, a very cool thread.
  • Options
    1979 Santa Barbara High School Yearbook (Santa Barbara, California) titled "Olive and Gold."
    Attending this school and in the Sophomore Class is future NFL Pro Bowl quarterback Randall Cunningham.

Cunningham was the quarterback of the Sophomore Football team and a member of the Men's Track Team. One of the events Cunningham competed in was pole vaulting. The yearbook notes: There were very few pole vaulters, which caused Randall Cunningham to comment that there was "not much competition in pole vaulting." Cunningham liked it because he was "pretty good at it."

Pole vault was not the only thing Cunningham was good at. With Cunningham as the team's quarterback, the Santa Barbara Sophomore Football Team took first place in the Channel League for the second year in a row.

"Some of the best players from the YFL and the Boys' Club were on the team," Cunningham noted in the yearbook, "...and when you put them together you get an outstanding football team." "Everyone was really enthusiastic."

Cunnningham is shown as the team's quarterback and handing the ball off to the running back (page 74); in the Sophmore Football Team group photo (page 75); and has a Sophomore Class photo (page 194). Randall has an older brother, Bruce Cunningham, who is a senior in the yearbook and appears in it several times, including in the Track Team photo standing beside Randall.

Randall Cunningham Sophomore Class Photo.

Sophomore Football Team Group Photo

Sophomore Football Team quarterback:

Former professional football quarterback Randall Cunningham was born March 27, 1963 in Santa Barbara, California. Cunningham attended the University of Nevada-Las Vegas where he played NCAA college football with the UNLV Rebals from 1982 to 1982. An All-conference punter and quarterback three years in a row (1982-1984), Cunningham was ranked #6 in the nation in passer rating during 1983 and ranked #5 during 1984. During his '84 Senior season, he led the Rebels to an 11-2 regular season record and the school's first conference championship.

The Philadelphia Eagles selected Randall Cunningham in the second round of the 1985 NFL Draft. Cunningham played with the Philadelphia Eagles (1985-1995), the Minnesota Vikings (1997-1999), the Dallas Cowboys (2000) and the Baltimore Ravens (2001).

After taking over the starting job from Ron Jaworski in 1987, Cunningham averaged more than 3,000 yards and 24 TDs passing in his first four years. The league's premiere rushing quarterback, he frequently led the NFL in rushing yards for a quarterback. In 1990, Cunningham rushed for a staggering team leading 942 yards, the the 3rd most ever by a quarterback and the record at the time. He finished his 17-year career having logged 161 games, with 29,979 passing yards and 207 touchdowns; and an additional 4928 rushing yards with 35 rushing touchdowns. At the time of his retirement, Cunningham was the NFL's all-time leader in rushing yards for the quarterback position.

Cunningham was a 4-time Pro Bowl selection (1988-1990 and 1998); the 1988 Pro Bowl MVP; a 4-time All-Pro selection (1989, 1990, 1992 & 1998); a 3-time Bert Bell Award winner (1988, 1990 & 1998); the 1992 NFL Comeback Player of the Year and the 1990 UPO NFC Player of the Year and the 1990 PFWA NFL MVP.

Cunningham is a devoted pastor who has established a church called The Cupbearer. "We are a non-denominational, multicultural fellowship that believes Jesus is coming for those who accept and believe in Him," said Cunningham, who was ordained into the ministry March 28, 2004.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

imageimage
    Varsity Baseball Teams action photos are not labeled. Is this Dykstra playing what appears to be shortstop? (It could be his brother)

>>

I don't believe this is Lenny, as he's a lefty. Still, a very cool thread. >>

Great observation. I am a lefty myself, but did not remember Dykstra was.

FYI all. Feel free to note any corrections or make additional comments or the like.
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭

I see the down lineman closet to the photographer was determined to NOT get called for offsides or illegal procedure--he may still be in that set position.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭
    Does there exist an online resource for what yearbooks would contain stars. I realize this would be a huge database. How do you determine what yearbooks to go after or do you look through them to see who you might recognize. I know I've passed on some at yard sales. Recently saw some early 60's ones from Kent State.
  • Options

<< <i>Does there exist an online resource for what yearbooks would contain stars. I realize this would be a huge database. How do you determine what yearbooks to go after or do you look through them to see who you might recognize. I know I've passed on some at yard sales. Recently saw some early 60's ones from Kent State. >>

No online database I am aware of.

I have been buying them online, so I can't look through them ahead of time. As I noted above, basically I use google and a database I have created. I think I last saw on eBay 70,000 high school yearbooks. It's not hard to find one's with notables.

I don't tend to collect the college yearbooks, although I do have a few here from the past. It does however appears to me there is more interest in the college yearbooks, despite the fact that the high school yearbooks are much more rare. I guess the college yearbooks likely have more notables.
  • Options
    1980 Santa Barbara High School Yearbook (Santa Barbara, California) titled "Olive and Gold."
    Attending this school in the Sophomore Class is surfing legend Tom Curren and in the Junior Class is future NFL Pro Bowl quarterback Randall Cunningham.

Curren is shown (fittingly) in the Men's Swimming Team group photo (page 55).

Cunningham is shown in the Varsity Football Team group photo (page 25); handing the ball off to the running back (page 25); performing a pole vault leap (page 58); and has a Junior Class photo (page 182).

Two years previous, the Varsity Football team took first place in the CIF Playoffs. That was two years ago. After a 3-4 mid season record, the 1979-80 Varsity Team came on strong towards the end of the season with wins against two school rivals, for a 6-4 third place league finish. "If we had quit - it could have easily been a 4-7 season," recalled Randall Cunningham.

The following year Cunningham would lead the Varsity Football Team to the CIF Finals and a league title.

Randall Cunningham Junior Class Photo.

1979-80 Santa Barbara Varsity Football Team. Cunningham is the fourth player in the first row.

"Premiere running back J. R. Hererra receives a hand-off from quarterback Randall Cunningham."

"Randall Cunningham strives for the greatest possible height."

1979-80 Santa Barbara Men's Swimming Team. Curren is the sixth student in the first row.

Close-up on Curren from above.

American World Champion surfer Tom Curren was born July 3, 1964 in Santa Barbara, California, and is the son of surfing pioneer Pat Curren, one of the first men to surf Hawaii's Waimea Bay. Tom Curren won the 1979 Boys' National Champion and in 1980 won the World Amateur Junior Champion. He entered the ASP World Tour in 1983 and won his first World Surfing Championship in 1985, his second in 1986 and his third in 1990.

Curren led the surfing revolution in the early '80s and inspired many of the surfers today. He won a record four straight events in a single World Tour season, single handedly challenged the surfing community in almost every area of surfing's culture and altered the mindset of hundreds of thousands of surfers around the world. Riding under a contract with surfboard company Channel Islands, Tom Curren developed a memorable surfing career co-producing and riding many pro surfboard models such as the Black Beauty and the Red Beauty.

By 1992 Curren had notched up the respect in Hawaiian surf that had been a sine qua non of his father’s life. He won the Wyland Galleries Pro in heavy conditions, garnering plaudits for big-wave surfing that had already come his way for his pioneering exploits at Todos Santos. And then he did what so few sportsmen in any arena manage to do. He quit at the top.

In 2009, Curren was rated the #3 surfer of all-time by Surfing Magazine.

• Options
    1959 Westfield High School Yearbook (Westfield, New Jersey), titled "Weather Vane."

Attending this school and in the Senior class is future MLB catcher and manager Jeff Torborg. Torborg, the catcher and the co-team captain of the Baseball Team, was the President of the Varsity Club and the Secretary on the Student Council.

Torborg is shown in the Senior Class group photo (page 18-19), with a Senior Class individual yearbook photo (page 68), on the Baseball Team group photo (page 101), in a baseball posed photo for being team co-captain (page 101) and in the Student Council group photo (page 118).

Jeff Torborg Senior Class Photo

Baseball Team Group Photo. Torborg is the fourth and last player in the first row.

Baseball Captain Portrait.

Student Council Group Photo. Torborg is the second student in the first row.

Former professional basebal catcher and manager/sports broadcaster Jeffrey "Jeff" Allen Torborg was born November 26, 1941 in Plainfield, New Jersey.

Torborg attended Rutgers University where in 1963 he set the school record for batting average for a season (.537). His slugging percentage that season (1.032) is also a single-season standard. The All-American led the team with 21 RBI and six home runs. In his three-year collegiate career (1961–63), the Torborg batted .390. Torborg's jersey number (#10) was retired by Rutgers University in 1992.

The Los Angeles Dodgers signed Jeff Torborg as amateur free agent in 1963 and he made his Major League debut on May 10, 1964. Torborg played for the Los Angeles Dodgers from 1964 to 1970 and the California Angels from 1971 to 1973. With the Dodgers, Torborg caught one of the greatest pitching staffs ever assembled with the likes of Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale and Don Sutton. He was on the receiving end of three no-hitters and in 1973, caught the first of Nolan Ryan's 7 no-hitters.

Torborg used his time on the Dodgers wisely by learning everything he could from Walter Alston. "He was aware that I couldn't hit a lick, but he still played me. I don't know how he went to the Hall of Fame with that kind of judgment," Torborg recalled with a laugh. "He was special and those Dodger teams were special. Those first two or three years I was in the big leagues, we went to the World Series so I thought we were supposed to do that every year."

After retiring as a player, Torborg switched to coaching and was the Manager of the Cleveland Indians (1977-1979), the Chicago White Sox (1989-1991), the New York Mets (1992-1993), the Montreal Expos (2001) and the Florida Marlins (2002-2003). In 1989, Torborg became the manager of the Chicago White Sox. A year later, the White Sox won 94 games which was a 25-game improvement from the previous year. For his efforts, Torborg was named the 1990 American League Manager of the Year.

"The first year I was managing the White Sox, we came out of the All-Star break and we were terrible. We were 32-56 at the break, the worst team in baseball. The first game back after the All-Star game was very chilly. So I had put a rubber jacket on, like a wrestling jacket, over my sweatshirt under my uniform," he remembered. "We proceed to win eight in a row. We lose to Roger Clemens and win three more in a row. But in this stretch I wouldn't change this jacket. But it got hot, so we were up there playing in Boston and my glasses started to fog up because I was so hot. I managed the game leaning over the water fountain, keeping water running on me, but I couldn't take that rubber jacket off!"

After leaving the Mets in 1992, Torborg turned to broadcasting for CBS Radio and the Fox Network.
  • Options
    1997 Clovis Junior High School Yearbook (Clovis, New Mexico).
    This was the 8th grade school year for Hank Baskett, who attended this school.

Baskett is shown in the class award section as favorite 8th grader (page 6); has an 8th Grade Class Group Photo (page 22); is in the 8th Grade Football Team group photo (page 42); is in the 8th Grade Basketball Team Group Photo (page 47); is in the Honor Society that sold Halloween-O-Grams Group Photo (page 51); is in the Student Council Group Photo (page 52); is in the Honor Society Group Photo (page 52); and is in the Science Club Group Photo (page 52).

Hank Baskett 8th Grade Class Photo.

Voted "Favorite" 8th Grader

8th Grade Football Team Group Photo. Baskett is the fifth player in the back row (jersey #14).

8th Grade Basketball Team Group Photo. Baskett is the fifth person or fourth player in the back row (jersey #44).

Honor Society that sold Halloween-O-Grams. Baskett is the second person in the back row.

Student Council Group Photo. Baskett is the fourth person or third student in the back row.

Honor Society Group Photo. Baskett is the third student in the back row.

Science Club Group Photo. Baskett is the fifth student in the third row.

Professional football wide receiver and reality television actor Henry "Hank" Randall Baskett III was born September 4, 1982 in Clovis, New Mexico.

Baskett attended the University of New Mexico where he played NCAA college football with the New Mexico Lobos from 2002 to 2005 was the teams leading receiver in 2004 and 2005. A four-time all-academic MWC honoree, he graduated with a degree in General Management.

Hawnk Baskett played for the Philadelphia Eagles (2006-2009), the Indianapolis Colts (2009), and is back with the Philadelphia Eagles (2010 to present). Originally a rookie free agent signee of the Minnesota Vikings, Baskett was acquired by the Eagles in an offseason trade. Baskett completed his '06 rookie season with 22 receptions for 464 yards (21.1 yards per catch) and two touchdowns, had two 100 yard performances and was awarded rookie of the week honors twice. Baskett averaged 15.9 yards per catch over his first two seasons and was named the 2007 Philadelphia Eagles Special Teams MVP.

Baskett was released by the Eagles on September 15, 2009 to make roster space for quarterback Michael Vick. Baskett was a solid player for the Eagles, who did not want to lose him, but the team had seven wide receivers on their roster, and someone had to go.

Signed by the Indianapolis Colts two days later to replace Anthony Gonzalez, who suffered a season ending injury. Baskett played with the Colts in Super bowl XLIV against the New Orleans Saints, where he is likely to be long remembered for an inability to recover a Saints onside kick at the beginning of second half. The ball made a high hop off Baskett's helmet and away, just as he extended forward to catch it.

"I thought everybody was going to come down on me for it," Baskett recalled. "As everybody knows, anybody who follows football, one play does not change the game. It [stinks] that the first onside kick in history before the fourth quarter had to happen to me. It was a battle underneath the pile, but I actually haven't been just beaten down about it. I knew I was probably going to catch some grief. Of course, it's the biggest game of the year, but not what I was expecting or anybody else was expecting."

Released by the Colts on March 5, 2010 and signed a week later, March 12, 2010 by the Philadelphia Eagles to a one-year contract.

Baskett is also currently co-star in the reality television show "Kendra", a spinoff of "The Girl Next Door." The series focuses on his wife, playmate Kendra Wilkinson's life after leaving the Playboy Mansion. It premeired on June 7, 2009 and it's second season started March 14, 2010.

The couple were married on June 27, 2009 at the Playboy mansion and on December 11, 2009 had a child, Hank Baskett IV.
  • Options
    2001 Foothill High School Yearbook (Santa Ana, California...often noted as in Tustin, California), titled (inside) "A New Dawn." This sports prep. school was named the 2001 California Distinguished School and was a 2002 National Blue Ribbon California Nominee.

The '01 yearbook has it in several future notables; WNBA star Kristen Mann, NFL player Adam Koets, Olympic Water Polo medalist Brittany Hayes, Olympic Softball medalist Caitlin Lowe, childhood actress Margo Harshman and MLB star Phil Hughes. Adult film star Eva Angelina, a.k.a. Angelina Del Mar, attended this school at the time and should be in the sophomore class, however I could not find her. Not sure of Angelina's real name.

Girls Varsity Basketball Team Group Photo with Kristen Mann.

Girls Varsity Water Polo Team with Brittany Hayes.

Girls Varsity Baseball team with Caitlin Lowe and Kristen Mann.

Boys Varsity Baseball team with Phil Hudges.

The Girls Varsity Water Polo Team, with future Olympic Water Polo medalist Brittany Hayes, put up a 6-0 undeated seasons, scoring an average of 18 points on their opponent, while holding them to an average 2 points.

The Girls Varsity Basketball Team, led by future NBA player Kristen Mann, went 5-3, winning the Century Tournament early in the season.

The Girls Varsity Baseball team was the 2000 Division I CIF Champions, the State Champion and the National Champions.

The Boys Varsity Football Team, with future NFL player Adam Koets finished with a 5-1 record, which included a 58-8 blowout. The team finished first place in the Century League, but was given third place in the CIF, due to losing a coin toss with the eventually second place team.

Kristen Mann Senior Class Photo.

Kristen Mann earned three varsity letters in high school basketball and holds 25 school records, most notably career high marks for points, rebounds and blocks. During Mann's Senior year, she averaged 28 points and 12.5 rebounds per a game and was selected as the 2001 Orange County Athlete of the Year. Mann was also named a 2001 Nike High School All-American.

This is the Senior year for Kristen Mann, who pichured in the book many times. She is shown cheering the school from the side of the court (page 7); named Most Athletic (page 21); has a Senior Class photo (page 47); has a photograph with a spaced out look (page 51); is shown in a photograph with some classmates (page 72); with a fellow princess to one of the dances (page 73); as a past Homecoming Queen with the current Homecoming Queen (page 184); with other "royalty" wearing her tiera (page 185); as Homecoming Princess (runner-up) (page 188); action photo playing Varsity Basketball (page 241); in the Girls Varsity Basketball Team group photo (page 268); playing Varsity Basketball and going for a lay-up (page 269); in the Girls Varsity Softball Team group photo (page 268); in the ASB group photo (page 314) ;in the Girls Athletic Board group photo (page 318); in a 2000 Homecoming Court group photo (page 319); in the Teens Giving Back Group Photo (page 338); and in a photo sticking her tounge out (page 382).

Professional basketball foward Kristen Cherie Mann was born August 10, 1983 in Lakewood, California.

Kristen attended University of California, Santa Barbara where she played NCAA college basketball with the UCSB Gauchos from 2001-02 to 2004-05. Mann was a three time All-Big West First Team selection (2003-2005) and was named the 2002 Big West Freshman of the Year and the 2005 Big-West Player of the Year.

The Minnesota Lynx selected Kristen Mann in the 1st round (11th pick overall) in the 2005 WNBA Draft. Kristen played with the Minnesota Lynx (2005 to 2007), the Atlanta Dream (2008), the Indiana Fever (2008) and the Washington Mystics (2009 to present). During her three seasons with the Lynx she averaged 6.3 points per game, 2.9 rebounds per game and shot 34 percent from the three point line.

Kristen played overseas with the Mersin Büyükºehir Belediye (2006-2007), the Tarbes GB (2007-2008) and the SK Cesis (2009).

In the Junior class is future NFL player Adam Koets. Koets is shown goofing around with a fellow classmate (page 81); in his Junior Class photo (page 87); in the Varsity Football Team group photo (page 242); with the football coach and a couple other players (page 243); playing defense and waiting for the line to form (page 243); and in the Boy's Varsity Volleyball Team group photo (page 294).

Professional football player Adam Koets was born January 7, 1984 in Santa Ana, California.

Koets attended the Oregon State University where he played NCAA college football with the Oregon State Beavers from 2004 to 2006 and was a three-time Academic All-Pac 10 Conference selection. The New York Giants selected Adam Koets in the 6th round of the 2007 NFL Draft. After spending 2007 and 2008 at guard and tackle, Koets was moved to backup center before the 2009 season. Koets was a member of the Giants' Super Bowl XLII championship team.

In the Sophomore class is future Olympian, Brittany Hayes. Hayes has a Sophomore Class photo (page 112); is in the Girls Varsity Water Polo Team Group Photo (page 282); is in the Varsity Girls Swimming Team Group Photo (page 310); and in the Teens Giving Back Group Photo (page 338).

Olympic Water Polo player Brittany Hayes was born February 5, 1985 in Santa Ana, California.

Hayes was a member of the US Junior National Team that took first at the 2002 Junior Pan American Games, won a Silver Medal at the 2003 FINA World Championship, a Gold Medal at the 2005 FINA World Championship and was a four-time Junior Olympic All-American 1998-2001. Hayes attended the University of Southern California from 2004 to 2007 where she led the Trojans in scoring for four straight seasons. Member of the US Water Polo Team that won a Gold Medal at the 2006 Holiday Cup, a Gold Medal at the 2007 World Championships in Australia and a Silver Medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympics. She also played for the USA Water Polo Women's Senior National Team in the 2009 FINA World Championships.

Caitlin Lowe Sophomore Class Photo.

"Caitlin Lowe gets ready to bunt."

Also in the Sophomore class is Olympian Caitlin Lowe. Lowe has a snap shot "zoning out" in the classroom (page 113); a Sophomore Class photo (page 116); is in the Varsity Girls Softball Team group photo (page 288); and has an action photo of her about to bunt the baseball (page 288).

US Women's Softball Team player Caitlin Lowe was born February 6, 1985 in Tustin, California.

Lowe attended the University of Arizona, where she led the school to back to back NCAA championships in 2006 & 2007. Lowe has been a member of the U.S. Woman's National Softball Team since 2005. She earned a Gold Medal at the 2007 Pan American Games; placed 1st in the 2007 World Cup of Softball and a Silver Medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games.

Margo Harshman Freshman Class Photo.

In the Freshman Class is actress Margo Harshman. Harshman has a Freshman Class photo (page 138) and is shown with a friend having fun (page 150).

American childhood actress Margo Cathleen Harshman was born March 4, 1986 in San Diego, California.

She is best known for her role as Tawny Dean on the Disney Channel series Even Stevens, which she played from 2000 to 2003 and as her role as Brooke Franklin on Run of the House, which she played in 2003 and 2004.

At the age of two, Harshman was entered into beauty pageants. At age eight, she began acting and met her first manager. She made her film debut as Jolie in The Elf Who Didn't Believe in 1997 and has since appeared in dozens of theatre and made for television movies.

Phil Hughes Freshman Class Photo.

Also in the Freshman Class is future MLB player Phil Hughes. Hughes has a Freshman Class photo (page 140) and is in the Freshman Baseball Team group photo (page 287).

Professional baseball pitcher Philip Joseph "Phil" Hughes was born June 24, 1986 in Mission Viejo, California.

Hughes first committed to Santa Clara University, but was drafted by the New York Yankees in the 1st round (23rd pick overall) in the 2004 MLB Draft. In 2006, Baseball America rated Hughes the Yankees #1 prospect, and in 2007, Baseball America rated Hughes the Yankees #2 prospect.

Hughes made his Major League debut on April 26, 2007, as the second youngest player in the American League. In 2007-2009, Hughes split time between Triple-A and the Major Leagues. On March 25, Hughes was named as the Yankees 5th starter pitcher for the 2010 season.

Hughes won his first five decisions as a starter, a streak snapped May 22 by the New York Mets. He followed with another five-game win streak, the last coming against the Mets, June 19 at Yankee Stadium.
  • Options
    That is quite an impressive yearbook. Very cool.
  • Options
    1973 Arlington Heights High School Yearbook (Fort Worth, Texas), titled "Yellow Jacket."
    Attending Arlinton Heights at the time and in this yearbook is future actor Bill Paxton in the Senior Class, and NFL players Mike Renfro in the Junior Class and Tony Franklin in the Sophomore Class.

Bill Paxton is shown with other Allied Youth Executive Board Members (page 86); is in the Allied Youth Homeroom Representitives group photo (page 87); and has a Senior Class photo (page 220).

Mike Renfro is pichured making a football catch (page 32); is in the Varsity Football Team group photo (page 33); is mentioned reguarding football games on pages 35, 36 & 38; is in the Track Team group photo (page 57); and has a Junior Class photo (page 171).

Tony Franklin is shown making a 3-pt kick in the rain (page 32); mentioned reguarding reguarding football game on pages 36 & 38; is shown in the Junior Varsity Football Team group photo (page 39); is in the Junior Varsity Baseball Team group photo (page 59); is in the Varsity Baseball Team group photo (page 63) and has a Sophomore Class photo (page 150).

Bill Paxton Senior Class Photo.

Allied Youth Executive Board Members. Paxton is the President.

Film Actor/Director William "Bill" Paxton was born May 17, 1955 in Fort Worth, Texas. Paxton moved to Los Angeles at 18 where he found work in the film industry and appeared in his first movie at 20 in 1975's Crazy Mama.
    Since that minor role, Paxton has become one of the legends of Hollywood and has played dozens of distinctive and memorable characters. Following a career successful performances, Bill has stepped behind the camera and proven his skill as a director.
    Some of the films Paxton has appeared in include: Stripes (1981); Streets of Fire (1984), The Terminator (1984), Commando (1985), Weird Science (1985), Fresno (1986), Aliens (1986), Navy Seals (1990), Predator 2 (1990), Tombstone (1993), True Lies (1994), Apollo 13 (1995), Twister (1997), Titanic (1997), Spy Kids 2 Island of Lost Dreams (2002) and Spy Kids 3-D Game Over (2003) and many more. He directed and starred in Frailty (2001) and The Greatest Game Ever Played (2005).
    Paxton has been nominated for dozens of awards, winning a Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast for Apollo 13 (1995) and an Academy of Science Fiction Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actor for Aliens (1987).
    Paxton has the distinction of being one of only two actors who has starred alongside an Alien (as Private Hudson in Aliens), a Predator (as Jerry Lambert in Predator 2), and a Terminator (as the punk leader in The Terminator). He holds a distinct honor of being the only actor to have been "killed" by all three.

Mike Renfro Junior Class Photo.

Varsity Football Team Group Photo. Renfro is the third player from the end in the second row.

"Mike Renfro nabs a high pass over a Wyatt defender."

Former professional football wide receiver Michael "Mike" Ray Renfro was born June 19, 1955 in Fort Worth, Texas.
    Renfro attended Texas Christian University where he played NCAA college football with the TCU Horning Frogs from 1975 to 1977.
    The Houston Oilers selected Mike Renfro in the 4th round of the 1978 NFL Draft. He played in the NFL for 10 seasons, with the Houston Oilers from 1978 to 1983 and the Dallas Cowboys from 1984 to 1987.
    He is well remembered by Oilers fans for making a game tieing catching in the 3rd quarter of the 1979 AFC Championship against the Pittsburgh Steelers that was ruled incomplete.
    Renfro had his best season with Dallas in 1985, catching 60 passes for 955 yards and 8 touchdowns.

Tony Franklin Sophomore Class Photo.

Junior Varsity Football Team Group Photo. Franklin is the fourth person and second player in the last row. He was promoted to Varsity during the season it appears.

"Tony Franklin prepares to boot 3 points ina rain-drenched game against Arlington."

Former professional football placekicker Anthony "Tony" Ray Franklin was born November 18, 1956 in Big Spring, Texas.
    Franklin attended Texas A&M University where he played NCAA college football with the Aggies from 1975 to 1978.
    During his 1976 sophomore season, he set the NCAA record for the longest field goal with a 65-yard kick on October 16, 1976 against Baylor University. That Saturday, he also kicked also a 64-yard field goal, but his record was short-lived as Ove Johansson—on the same day—kicked a 69 yard field goal.
    Franklin finished his collegiate career with 18 NCAA records, including most career field goals (56), career kick scoring (291 points), most field goals of 50 yards or longer in a career (16), most field goals made in a three year career (45) and longest average for field goals made in a career (39.5 yards).
    The Philadelphia Eagles selected Tony Franklin in the 3rd round of the 1979 NFL Draft. Franklin played for the Philadelphia Eagles from 1979 to 1983, the New England Patriots from 1984 to 1987 and the Miami Dolphins in 1988.
    During his '79 rookie season, Franklin converted 23 of 31 field goal attempts, scoring 105 points, more than what the Eagle kickers totaled the previous two seasons combined. One of the kicks, a 59-yarder at Dallas was credited with the fourth longest field goal (at the time) in NFL history
    "I started (kicking barefooted) when I was 15 years old," Franklin recalled, who was noted for his barefoot kickin style. "I tried one day with a shoe on and I could kick the ball 35 yards, but I wasn't very accurate. So I said, 'I wonder what would happen if I took my shoe off?' and I started kicking them 50 yards and was a lot more accurate. You have to understand, I grew up in Texas and we played football year-round. In the summertime it was so hot and because we always had a lot of grass and it was very lush, we just played barefooted."
    A 1985 Pro Bowl selection, Franklin played in Super Bowl XV and Super Bowl XX, kicking a field goal in each game.

• Options
    1988 Westminster School Yearbook (Westminster, Orange County, California).
    Attending this school at the time and in the Junior Class is future MLB All-Star Ryan Klesko.

While Klesko would play mostly first base in the Majors, he was a pitcher in high school.

During this school year, the Varsity Football Team traveled across the country to play an exhibition game against Springfield, Virginia's Robert E. Lee High School. The trip was taken and game played in honor of Nancy Reagon's "No on Drugs" campaign. The Varsity Football players worked for months to raise the funds for the trip. Klesko, not a member of the Varsity Football Team, was able to practice with his mother, who would catch for him. Without this extra practice, perhaps Klesko does not make raise the eye of MLB scouts the following year and does not get drafted. In other words, if Klesko played football in high school, he might not have ever became a baseball star.

Klesko is pictured in the Generations Dance Royal Court (page 45); with a fellow Generations Dance Royal Court member (page 45); has a Junior Class photo (page 97); is in the Varsity Baseball Team group photo (page 190) and is shown doing some warm up pitches (page 191).

Junior Class Yearbook Photo.

Generations Dance Royal Court

Generations Dance Royal Court members.

Varsity Baseball Team Group Photo. Klesko is the last player in the upper row.

I believe this is Klesko. Baseball individual photos are not labeled.

High School Rookie Card (Not in yearbook)

Former professional baseball first baseman and corner outfielder Ryan Anthony Klesko was born June 12, 1971 in Westminster, California. Klesko graduated from Westminster High School and played for the US Junior Olympic Team in Australia.
    The Atlanta Braves selected Ryan Klesko in the 5th round of the 1989 MLB Amateur Draft. "Ryno" made his Major League debut on September 12, 1992, and played for the Atlanta Braves (1992-1999), the San Diego Padres (2000-2006) and the San Francisco Giants (2007).
    In his 16-year career, Klesko has a .370 on base percentage with a .500 slugging average, for a .870 OPS. His .525 slugging percentage as a Brave ranks 4th all-time among the team's career leaders, ahead of Eddie Mathews. His .886 OPS as a Brave ranks him 5th among Braves' all-time leaders.
    He hit at least 21 home runs in eight of his thirteen seasons, with a career high of 34 in 1996. Klesko became the first player to hit a home run in three consecutive World Series road games when he did so against the Cleveland Indians in Games 3, 4, and 5 of the 1995 World Series.
    He had his best season in 2001, hitting .286 with 30 home runs, 113 RBIs and 23 stolen bases, on a career high 638 apparances and earning a starting position on the 2001 National League All-Star team.
    A notably charitable person, Klesko is a co-founder of the Blue Ryno Foundation, which helps children and families that are facing childhood cancer, and has been involved with the Make-A-Wish Foundation for many years.
    In 2009, Klesko was recognized by Senator Resolution 167 in the Georgia State Senate, in which he was commended for "his invaluable community involvement and thank him for his many contributions to Georgia."
    Klesko currently hosts Ryan Klesko's Adventures, a show on the Outdoor Channel.
  • Options
    1959 Theodore Roosevelt High School Yearbook (Los Angeles, California), titled "Round Up."

This was the Sophomore high school year for future Heisman Trophy winner Mike Garrett, who can be found in this book with a Sophomore Class photo (page 14).

Mike Garrett Sophomore Class Photo.

In his Senior year, Garrett was All-City, All-American and the league's Player of the Year.

Youtube video of Garrett playing football at Theodore Roosevelt.

Former football collegiate star and professional running back Michael Lockett Garrett was born April 12, 1944 in Los Angeles, California.

Garrett attended the University of Southern California where he played NCAA college football with the USC Trojans from 1963 to 1965. In 1965, Garrett led the nation with 267 carries for 1,440 rushing yards, caught 36 passes, returned 43 punts, returned 30 kickoffs and threw 6 passes. Two of his passes went for touchdowns. For his efforts, Garrett became a consensus All-American and was awarded the UPI Player of the Year and the 1965 (31st) Heisman Trophy among many other honors. Garrett finished his college career with a then unheard of 3,221 yards and scored 30 touchdowns, setting numerous NCAA, Pac 10 Conference and USC team records.

Mike Garrett was picked by the Kansas City Chiefs in the 20th round of the 1966 AFL Draft and by the Los Angeles Rams in the 2nd round of the 1966 NFL Draft. Garrett chose the Chiefs where he played from 1966 to 1970, through it's merger with the NFL, and finished his career with the San Diego Chargers where he played from 1970 to 1973.

Garrett, a two-time AFL All Star selection, was a key member of the Kansas City Chiefs team that won the 1966 and 1969 AFC Championship and beat the Minnesota Vikings in the last AFL-NFL World Championship Game (now considered Super Bowl IV).

In his 8 professional football seasons, Garrett rushed for 5,481 yards, caught 238 passes for 2,010 yards, returned 14 kickoffs for 323 yards, and returned 39 punts for 235 yards. Overall, Garrett gained a total of 8,049 yards and scored 49 touchdowns (35 rushing, 13 receiving, 1 punt return).

Inducted into the National Football Foundation and College Football Hall of Fame in 1985.

Mike Garrett was named USC's sixth athletic director in January 1993, and was responsible for hiring Pete Carroll as the head football coach. However in 2010, the USC football program was hit with severe NCAA sanctions due to violations involving former USC stars Reggie Bush and O. J. Mayo. This prompted USC's incoming president, Max Nikias, to replace Garrett with former USC quarterback Pat Haden.

• Options
    Changed the thread title so I could add a short note on what yearbook I last posted.

This will let those following this thread know when I add another one, and tell who it is.
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Thought I'd chime in to say I've really enjoyed this thread. Thanks for taking the time.

shawn
  • Options
    1983 Central High School Yearbook (Phoenix, Arizona), titled "Centralian."
    Central is a "performing" school according to the Arizona Department of Education and has had 96 of its students recognized as National Merit Scholars in the past 15 years.

Attending this school and in the Senior Class is future NBA Executive Bryan Colangelo.

Colangelo can be found in the Boys Varsity Basketball Team photo (page 75); is shown making "a strong second effort to pick up the basket and the foul." (page 76); is shown as he "flys to the hoop for two against the Trevor Browns Bruins." (page 77); and has a Senior Class photo (page 212).

Bryan Colangelo Senior Class Photo.

1982-83 Central High School "Bobcats" Varsity Basketball Team. Colangelo is in the top row, fifth from the end (#24).

The 1982-83 Central Varsity Basketball Team benefited from the closing of Phoenix's East and Phoenix Union High School the previous year. The team, with starter Bryon Colangelo, won its first eight games, compiled a 20-6 record and brought the school the Metro Division Title with a 59-57 victory over South Mountain. In the next game, working on a State title, Central gave up a 16-point halftime lead to lose in the final minutes 76-77.

"Bryan Colangelo gives a strong second effort to pick up the basket and the foul."

"Bryan Colangelo flys to the hoop for two against the Trevor Browns Bruins."

Professional sports executive Bryan Colangelo was born June 1, 1965 in Chicago, Illinois and is the son of Phoenix sports mogul, Jerry Colangelo.

Colangelo began his NBA front-office career with the Phoenix Suns, a franchise then owned by his father. He was a part of the Suns for 15 years, the last 11 as its General Manager. Colango drafted would-be superstars Shawn Marion and Amar'e Stoudemire and in 2005, signed Steve Nash. Nash would go on to be the 2004-05 and 2005-06 NBA Most Valuable Player, and the Suns would go 62–20 and claim the top playoff seed in the Western Conference in the 2004-05 season. As a result, Colangelo was named The Sporting News NBA Executive of the Year in 2005.

In addition to his work with the Suns, he served as President of Phoenix Arena Sports from June 1991 through June 2002, the owning entity of the Arizona Rattlers Arena Football League team and the WNBA team Phoenix Mercury. The Rattlers won the Arena Football League Championship in 1994 and 1997 and the Mercury played in the WNBA finals in 1998. He won the AFL Executive of the Year award in 1993 for his work with the Rattlers.

In May 2005, Colangelo was named to the USA Basketball Men’s Senior National Program Advisory Panel charged with selecting teams for the 2006 FIBA World Championship (Saitama, Japan), 2007 FIBA Americas Olympic Qualifying Tournament (Las Vegas, Nevada) and the 2008 Olympics (Beijing, China). The 2008 US Olympics team, which included NBA stars Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard and LeBron James, won the Gold Medal.

On February 27, 2006, Colangelo then 41, resigned from the Suns, and on February 28, 2006, the Toronto Raptors announced Colangelo as their new President and General Manager.

In 2007, Colangelo’s first full season at the Raptors helm, the team won its first Atlantic Division title, earned home court advantage in the Playoffs for the first time in team history and won a franchise record-tying 47 wins – a 20-win improvement over the 2005-06 season. Many credited the turnaround to the changes made by Colangelo, in which he brought in nine new players to the Toronto Raptors' roster. For his efforts, Colangelo was for the second time named The Sporting News NBA Executive of the Year. Colangelo’s father, Jerry, won the award four times.
  • Options
    That is a heck of a whit man's fro he has. Sweet!
  • Options
    1997 Abell Junior High School Yearbook (Midland, Texas), titled "Aerie" and subtitled "see the writing on the WALL."
    Attending Abell Junior High at the time and in this yearbook is future NFL running back Cedric Benson, in the 8th Grade; future actor Michael Arden, in the 8th Grade; and future NFL player Eric Winston, who is in the 7th Grade.

Cedric Benson 8th Grade Class Photo.

Cedric Benson has an 8th Grade Class Photo (page 8); is shown in the 8th Grade Football Team group photo (page 35); is shown in the 8th Grade Basketball Team group photo (page 37); is shown with other 8th Grade Football Team players around the coach (page 39); and is shown other 8th Grade Basketball Team players around the coach (page 39).

Michael Arden (listed under his birth name Michael Moore) has an 8th Grade Class Photo (page 13).

Eric Winston has an 7th Grade Class Photo (page 29); is shown in the 7th Grade Football Team group photo (page 41); and is shown in the 7th Grade Basketball Team group photo (jersey #35) (page 45).

Abell had a highly successfull sport program in 1996-97, earning City Championships with its 7th Grade Football Team; both 7th Grade Boys & Girls Basketball Team; and it's 7th Grade Girls Volleyball Team that posted a 17-0 record. The 8th Grade Football Team posted an 8-1 record.

8th Grade Football Team Group Photo.

Football Team Photo. I believe Benson is the player in the middle, who appears to be the tallest.

8th Grade Basketball Team Group Photo. Bensen is the last student in the back row.

Basketball Team Photo. Benson I think is one of the two players on the left.

Wikipeadia notes the Cedric Benson "began to emerge as a football stand-out in the eighth grade while attending Abell Junior High School in Midland, Texas under Coach Chris McKinney."

Professional running back Cedric Myron Benson was born December 28, 1982 in Midland, Texas. Benson played football and baseball at Robert E. Lee High School, leading the football team to three consecutive State Championships and rushing for a total 15 touchdowns in those three championship games. During his high school games, Benson rushed for 8,423 career yards (fourth-most in Texas history/first in Class 5A history), scored 127 touchdowns (second-most in Texas history/third-most nationally) and averaged 183.1 yards and 2.8 touchdowns per game. Playing center fielder for the baseball team, Benson hit .361 with 4 home runs and 14 RBI's.

The Los Angeles Dodgers drafted Cedric Benson in the 12th round of the 2001 MLB Amateur Draft. He played in the Dodger's summer league at Vero Beach and with the Dodgers Gulf Coast League, but left the team in 2003 to concentrate on football.

Benson attended the University of Texas at Austin from 2001 to 2004 where he was four-year team rushing leader with the Texas Longhorns, playing along side future NFL QB Vince Young.
    Benson rushed for at least 1,000 yards every year in college, with his totals improving each season. He rushed for 1,053 yards and 12 TD as a freshman, 1,293 and 12 TD as a junior, and 1,360 and 21 TD as a junior. He finished the 2004 season with an impressive 1834 rushing yards with 19 touchdowns and 179 yards with 1 touchdown, earning the 2004 Doark Walker Award. In 2004, Benson also set the NCAA all-time record for games with a touchdown, recording his 36th against Kansas.

The Chicago Bears selected Cedric Benson in the 1st round (4th pick overall) in the 2005 NFL Draft. Benson played with the Bears from 2005 to 2007. As a rookie, he started behind future Pro Bowl running back Thomas Jones, but over the next couple of years, shared starting duties with Jones. In a game against the New England Patriots during week twelve of the 2006 Chicago Bears season, Benson collided with linebacker Junior Seau, causing Seau to fall down and fracture his forearm.

Released by the Bears in June 2008, and signed by the Cincinnati Bengals in Sept. 2008, Benson started the 2008 season behind Chris Perry. However, Bensen became the team's starter after his performance in week 7. During that game, Benson ran over Steelers safety Troy Polamalu, giving him a concussion. In the twelve games he was active during the 2008 season, Benson had 932 all-purpose yards, including 747 yards rushing and 185 yards receiving.

Despite missing three games in the 2009 NFL season, Benson finished as the NFL's 8th leading rusher with 1,251 yards. Benson also set a Bengals franchise season record with six games over 100 rushing yards.

Michael Arden 8th Grade Class Photo.

Michael Jerrod Moore, known better as Michael Arden, was born October 6, 1982 in Midland, Texas.

An American actor, singer, and composer, Michael Arden was active as a youth in the Pickwick Players, a Midland performing company. He studied at Midland's Trinity School, where he received a scholarship to Interlochen Arts Academy as a theatre student. After graduating from Interlochen in 2001, Arden accepted a full scholarship at the Julliard School.

In 2003, Arden left Juilliard to join the the cast of the Broadway musical, Big River as it's lead character, Tom Sawyer.

After various threatre performances, Arden made appearances in CBS's Numb3rs (2006) and ABC's Grey's Anatomy (2006). Adren was cast in the 2008 Fox Network show The Return of Jezebel James, which was canceled after three episodes and had a recurring role during 2009 in the NBC series Kings. He has also made appearances in ABC's Cashmere Mafia, TNT's The Closer, Fox Network's Bones, and ABC's The Forgotten.

He was given a starring role in A&E's (canceled?) LA police drama The Quickening and has a role in the upcoming movie, Source Code (2011).

Arden has also appeared in the movies The Good Shepherd (2006), The Cave Movie (2009) and Bride Wars (2009).

Eric Winston 7th Grade Class Photo.

7th Grade Football Team Group Photo.

7th Grade Basketball Team Group Photo.

Professional football offensive tackle Eric Winston was born November 17, 1983 in Midland, Texas. Winston attended the University of Miami where he was initially set to play tight end with the Hurricanes, but switched to offensive tackle before his sophomore year.

Considered one of the best offensive tackles in the 2006 NFL Draft, Eric Winston was picked by the Houston Texans in the 3rd round.

Winston started the final seven games for the Texans his rookie season, and has been a key player every since, starting all games in 2007 and 2008.

On June 28, 2010, Winson filled in for well known Sports Illustrated writer Peter King, writing King's Monday Sports Illustrated blog. In the column, Winston proposed a drastic change in the NFL schedule; to expand NFL rosters and create a minor league; to establish a sensible rookie wage scale; and changes to the current NFL overtime system of sudden death.

• Options
  • Options
    New Trier has quite a few notables in it's history.

These next few days I will go through their 1947-1949 annuals, all which contain at least one sport notable. Beside a sport notable or two, all three contain a popular actor and a controversal political person. Please refrain from making comments on the political person, if you could. While I am not posting the yearbooks because of him, he is present and it does not seem very logical to ignore him for fear of a touchy subject. So, let's please remember this is a sports collectible forum.

Thanks for following this thread. I have more yearbooks on the way, have not went through all my current inventory, and I plan to redo some of the earlier ones, which should all keep me busy at least the next month or two with this thread, at the min.

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Neato Man!!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    1948 New Trier High School Yearbook (New Trier, Cook County, Illinois), titled "Echos."

This was the Freshman year for future Olympic Gold Medalist Robert Jeangarld; the Sophomore year for future Secretary of Donald Rumsfeld; the Sophomore year for future actor William Christopher; and the Senior year for future MLB pitcher Peter Burnside.

There are a lot of student and staff signatures in this book, including a 1948 signed message from Donald Rumsfeld to the original yearbook owner. It notes "To a great girl - Don Runsfeld."

The Principal, Dr. Matthew D. Gaffney (1913-2005) has also signed this book. The Gaffney Foundation, an organization that helps students gain acceptance to top colleges and universities, was founded by Dr. Gaffney's daughter, Margaret G. Benedict, in his honor.

Robert Jeangerard appears in the Freshman Basketball Team group photo (page 80).

William Christopher is shown in the Boys' Opera Group (page 60); is shown in the German Club group photo (page 66); is shown in the Rifle Club group photo (page 68).

Donald Rumsfeld is in the Freshman Baseball Team group photo (page 28); in the First Semester Study Hall Supervisors group photo (page 36); and Fresh-Soph Wrestling Team group photo (page 81). I imagine Rumsfeld was likely a part of the 1946-47 Freshman Baseball Team, not shown in the previous yearbook.

Peter Burnside appears is in the Varsity Baseball group photo (page 27); same page also notes Burnside pitched 19 consecutive scoreless innings (page 27); making a basketball shot in a posed photograph that shows the Varsity starting team...perhaps against the Varsity bench players? (page 73); standing under the basket waiting for the basketball to drop (page 77); in the Varsity Basketball group photo (page 79); and has a Senior Class photo (page 130).

Freshman Basketball Team. Robert Jeangerard is the fourth person from the end in the first row (Jersey #40).

William Christopher listed in the Frosh-Soph play cast of "The Prince and the Pauper" as a servitor

Boys Glee Club. Christopher is the second from the end in the first row.

Boys' Opera Group. Christopher is the third from the end in the first row.

German Club. Christopher is the second person in the second row.

Fresh-Soph Wrestling Team. Donald Rumsfeld is the eighth person in the back first row, or sixth from the end.

'image
    Rumsfeld 1948 era signature.

1947-48 New Trier High School Freshman Baseball Team. Rumsfeld is the third from the end in the first row.

Peter Burnside Senior Class Photo.

Varsity Baseball Team. Burnside is the third person from the end in the first row.

Varsity Basketball Team. Burnside is the sixth person in the back row, with one hand in his glove and one one it.

Varisty against itself? It almost appears Burnside, #22 at the top of photo, is the one who threw the ball? Well...maybe.

Varisty Basketball action photo. Burnside, #22, who was waiting for the rebound, watches the ball fall in the basket.

Former Olympic basketball player Robert "Bob" Eugene Jeangerard was born June 20, 1932 in Evanston, Illinois. Jeangerard attended the University of Colorado in the early 50s, winning All-Big Eight honors in both his junior and senior years. He also was chosen as MVP of the NCAA western regionals in his senior year.

He was a member of the US Olympic Basketball Team that won a Gold Medal at the 1956 Summer Olympics, held in Melbourne, Australia. In the Olympics Final Round, Jeangerard was the second leading scorer, second only to future Basketball Hall of Fame member Bill Russell, in the USA's 89-55 win over the Soviet Union. He was also a member of the US Team that won a Silver Medal at the 1959 FIBA World Championship.

Jeangerard went on to play in the Amateur Athletic Union (AAU), winning AAU All-America honors and leading his team to the 1955 AAU National Championship.

After leaving the court, Jeangerard entered another court and became an attorney, spending the majority of his life practicing law in California.

Now retired, he suffers from severe Alzheimer's disease. In 2009, the then 75-year old, wandered from his San Carlos, California home. He was found in an Oakland Hospital four days later, after a large and unsuccessful police hunt.
  • Options
    1949 New Trier High School Yearbook (New Trier, Cook County, Illinois), titled "Echos."

This was the Junior year for future actor William Christopher; and Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, and the Sophomore year for future US Olympic Basketball player Robert Jeangerard. Peter Burnside graduated the previous year, however, he is shown in the Varsity Baseball Team group photo (page 40).

The Principal, Dr. Matthew D. Gaffney (1913-2005) has also signed this book, next to his photo (page 10). The Gaffney Foundation, an organization that helps students gain acceptance to top colleges and universities, was founded by Dr. Gaffney's daughter, Margaret G. Benedict, in his honor.

William Christopher appears in Mr. Funkhouser's Junior Class group photo (page 116); and is listed as Bill Christopher in the cast of the school play Lagniappe (page 82), I believe he is in the front row of the staged photo.

Donald Rumsfeld is shown with on the Tri-Ship Committee (page 28); is in the Usher's Corps group photo (page 28); is in the Traffic Squad group photo (page 29); is in the Sophomore Baseball Team group photo (page 40), as Junior President (page 114) and in Mr. Franzen's Junior Class group photo (page 116).

Robert Jeangerard is shown in the Fresh-Soph Baseball Team group photo (page 41); and in the Fresh-Soph Basketball Team group photo (page 54).

Varsity Baseball Team. Burnside is the 4th from the end on the last row.

Mr. Funkhouser's Junior Class group photo. William Christopher is the second student is the first row.

Supporting Cast of Lagniappe. Christopher appears to the student actor first in the first row, with only his head showing.

Donald Rumsfeld, Junior President.

Mr. Franzen's Junior Class. Rumsfeld is the fourth student in the first row.

Tri-Ship Committees Group Photo. Rumsfeld is the fourth student in the second row.

Ushers Corps Group Photo. Rumsfeld is the fourth student is the first row.

Traffic Squad Group Photo. Rumsfeld is the twelfth student in the second row, 10 from the end. The other students kind of appear centered around him.

Sophomore Baseball Team Group Photo. Rumsfeld is the fourth player in the first row.

Frosh Baseball Team Group Photo. Robert Jeangerard is the fifth player in the first row, also five from the end.

Fresh-Soph Basketball Team Group Photo. Jeangerard is the the sixth player in the first row, jersey #59.

• Options
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These were interesting posts.

Unfortunately, no one that I went to high school with became "famous", except for a girl
    who later committed a murder.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    1989 Archbishop Moeller High School (usually refered to as Moeller High School) (Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio). It is one of five all-male Catholic high schools in the Cincinnati area.
    Attending this school and in the Junior Class of this yearbook are MLB players David Bell and Adam Hyzdu. The younger brother of MLB star Barry Larkin, Stephen Larkin is in the Sophomore Class.

The 1988-89 Moeller Varsity Baseball Team, with future MLB players David Bell and Adam Hyzdu, had a rough season start, losing 4 of its first 6 games. However, the Crusaders pulled their season around winning 24 of remaining 26 games. In the State Tournament games, Moeller outscored its opponents with a combined 24-4 score.

Stephen Larkin has a posed smiling photo in the Sophomore section (page 96); is in the Reserve Football Team group photo (page 113); in the Reserve Basketball Team group photo (page 127); playing in a Reserve Baseball Team action photo (#22) (page 146-147).and in the Reserve Baseball Team group photo (page 147). It appears he was getting practice at being a reverse Major League player.

David Bell has a Junior Class photo (page 98); is on the Varsity Basketball Team group photo (page 125); shown in batting stance with school uniform (page 144); is on the Varsity Baseball Team group photo (page 145); and is mentioned on page 145 as having been given the team's "Best Offensive" award.

David's brother, Mike Bell, is two years younger and should be in the Freshman Class, but I could not find him in the yearbook. Maybe he is one more school year behind? However, Moelier alumni member, former baseball player and manager, and David Bell's father, Buddy Bell is shown helping recruit 8th graders (page 135).

Adam Hyzdu is shown kicking an extra point for the Varsity Football Team (page 14); in his Junior Class photo (page 100); kicking an extra point for the Varsity Football Team (page 109); making it to home base with all his teamates welcoming him...waving their hands? (page 144); on the Varsity Baseball Team group photo (page 145); and as a Junior Intramural Champ (page 168)

In the Senior Class is Jack Thrush. Thrush attended Ohio State University where he played NCAA football with the Buckeyes, earning Honorable Mention All Big-Ten in 1993, the 1993 OSU Super Iron Man Award(awarded to the player who participated in every practice during five years of competition), and Lifter of the Year in 1993 (voted by teammates and coaches as the player who most improved his play on the field through his dedication and hard work in strength training and conditioning)

"Steve Larkin is not camera-shy."

Moeller Reserve Football Team. Larkin is the 4th player in the 3rd row (#34).

Moeller Reserve Basketball Team. Larkin is the 3rd player in the 1st row (#22).

Moeller Reserve Baseballl Team. Larkin is the last player in the 1st row.

David Bell Junior Class Photo.

Moeller Varsity Baseball Team. David Bell is is the last player in the 2nd row. Adam Hyzdu is the 4th person/3rd player in the last row. (Coach is the first person).

"David Bell shows his second team All-League stance."

Moeller Varsity Basketball Team. David Bell is is the 3rd player in the 2nd row (#22).

"Famous alum, Buddy Bell, helps Bro Kamis recruit 8th graders."

Adam Hyzdu Junior Class Photo.

"Adam Hyzdu is welcomed by the team."

"Adam Hyzdu kicks another extra point."

Former professional baseball third baseman David Michael Bell was born September 14, 1972 in Cincinnati, Ohio. David is the son of MLB all-star player and manager Buddy Bell, the brother of former MLB player Mike Bell, and the grandson of current MLB player Gus Bell.
    The Cleveland Indians selected David Bell in the 7th round of the 1990 MLB Amateur Draft, and he made his Major League debut on May 3, 1995. Bell played for the Cleveland Indians (1995), the St. Louis Cardinals (1995-1998), the Seattle Mariners (1998-2001), the San Francisco Giants (2002), the Philadelphia Phillies (2003-2006) and the Milwaukee Brewers (2006).
    Bell scored the winning run in the 2002 National League Championship Series from second on a Kenny Lofton single. He was also the running coming home during the Game 5 of the 2002 World series when J.T. Snow lifted the 3-year old batboy Darren Baker out of harm's way.
    In 2008, Bell was named the manager of the Cincinnati Reds Double-A team, the Carolina Mudcats for the 2009 season.

Former professional baseball outfielder and pitch hitter Adam Davis Hyzdu was born December 6, 1971 in San Jose, California.
    The San Francisco Giants selected Adam Hyzdu, out of Moeller High School, in the 1st round, 15th pick overall, of the 1990 MLB Amateur Draft. Hyzdu made his Major League debut on September 8, 2000. He played for the Pittsburgh Pirates (2000-2003), the Boston Red Sox (2004-2005), the San Diego Padres (2005), the Texas Rangers (2006) and finished his career in 2007 with the SoftBank Hawks in the Japanese Pacific League.
    Hyzdu is best known for his accomplishments in the minor leagues.
    During his two seasons with the Altoona Curve (1999-2000), he broke several franchise records, many of which still stand today. He was an Eastern League All-Star both seasons and had his jersey number (16) retired by the club.
    In 2004 he was named the Pawtucket Red Sox Most Valuable Player.
    From 2000 to 2006, never leaving the minors completely until his final season, Hyzdu played in 221 Major League games, collecting 82 hits and 19 homeruns on 358 at bats.

Adam Hyzdu owns a baseball card collection. "My favorite card is actually a Jeff Kent card with me taking him out at second base (only homers were more fun)."
    (Card photo was taken by Hyzdu and is a card from his collection).

Former professional baseball first baseman Stephen "Steve" Karari Larkin was born July 24, 1973 in Cincinnati, Ohio, and is the younger brother of 12-time All-Star selection, Barry Larkin. The Texas Rangers selected Steve Larkin in the 10th round of the 1994 MLB Draft. Unlike his brother, Steve spent almost his complete professional career in the minor leagues. In 1998 Larkin, then playing for the Cincinnati Reds' Chattanooga Lookouts, was called up on September 27, 1998 for a game against the Pittsburgh Pirates. During this game, the last game of the season, Steve Larkin played first base, his brother Barry played shortstop, while fellow Reds Brett Boone played second base and his younger brother Aaron Boone played third base. This is the only time in MLB history that two sets of siblings were on the field at the same time.

In the game, Steve Larkin made one hit on three at-bats. Pat Watikins pinch ran the hit for Steve and made the game-winning score. It would be the only MLB game Steve Larkin would ever play in, giving him a respectable .333 MLB career batting average. (Barry Larkin, has a .295 career MLB career batting average.)
  • Options
  • Options
    Help with the above Orioles please. Obviously, neither are Al Bumbrey or Eddie Murray, both African-Americans.

I think Ripken Jr. is the skinny kid...compared to the other and older players.

I am pretty sure on Stoddard, due to his thick mustache.

The person shooting the ball a couple times is Scott McGregor, I think? He looks so much different between his 1981 Fleer and his 1982 Topps it is hard to say.
  • Options
    1963 Bellflower High School Yearbook (Bellflower, Los Angeles County, California), titled "Treasure Chest."
    This was the Senior high school year for Boxer Jerry Quarry; the Senior Class year for future MLB pitcher Bill Rohr; and the Junior Class year for future NFL player Ron Yary.

This was the first year in which Yary begin to gain attention earning All-San Gabriel Valley honors at tackle.
    Pitcher Bill Rohr was also making a name for himself and finished his high school career with a 26-3 record.

1962-63 Bellflower Varsity Baseball Team. Bill Rohr is the first person in the back row (#30). Ron Yary is the forth person in the back row.

Baseball photos are not labeled well in yearbook. However, I think this is Ron Yary. (Yary was a pretty big kid with square shoulders.)

Bill Rohr in his windup.

1962-63 Bellflower Varsity Basketball Team. Bill Rohr is the 10th player, or the 6th from the end (#35).

Bill Rohr Varsity Basketball Team Captain Photo.

1962-63 Bellflower Varsity Football Team. Ron Yary (#73) is the 11th player in the back row.

Varsity Football Team Action Photo. Yary (#73) can be seen in the background.

Jerry Quarry was not present photo day and has a character sketch for a Senior Class photo (page 59).
    Bill Rohr has photo for being Senior Class Vice President (page 38); has a Senior Class photo (page 61); is in the Varsity Basketball Team group photo (page 150); has a Varsity Basketball photo (page 149); is in the Varsity Baseball Team group photo (page 155); is shown in a windup about to throw the baseball (page 157); and is in the Athletletic Association group photo (page 184).
    Ron Yary has a Junior Class photo (page 97); is in the Varsity Football Team group photo (#73) (page 130); is in the background of photo showing players scrambling for the ball (#73) (page 142); is in the Varsity Baseball Team group photo (page 155);
    There are other photos Yary is likely present in such as a photo of the Varsity Football Team carrying the coach off the field and a Varsity Football group huddle photo from the ground showing only the players faces with helmets.

Jerry Quarry Senior Class "Photo" (Character)

Former professional boxer Jerry Quarry was born May 15, 1945 in Bellflower, California.
    Nicknamed “The Bellflower Bomber,” Quarry turned pro in 1965 and ran off 12 wins before running into Tony Doyle, when he was held to his first draw. His first loss came in his 21st pro bout, against then title contender Eddie Machen. Quarry attributed the loss to poor conditioning and promised that conditioning would never cost him another loss.
    In mid-1967, the World Boxing Association (WBA) held a tournament to replace it's former champion Muhammad Ali, stripped of his title for refusing induction into the military. In the tournament, Quarry defeated former champion Floyd Patterson, and then beat tournament favorite Thad Spencer. However, in the tournament final, a highly respected Jimmy Ellis defeated Quarry to become new WBA Heavyweight Champion Of The World, replacing his good friend Muhammad Ali.
    In 1969, Quarry was given a title shot by Joe Frazier for Frazier's New York State title. Quarry lost the fight on cuts via seventh-round technical knockout despite leading the early rounds. The match was called Ring Magazine's Fight of The Year.
    Boxing Illustrated named Quarry the most popular professional boxer in the world in 1968 and 1969.
    In 1970, he tied with Muhammad Ali to share the honor. The two would also fight each other in what was Muhammad Ali's return from exile.
    Ali's return took place on October 26, 1970 in Atlanta. Ali dominated the early rounds opening a deep cut over the smaller Quarry's left eye. Referee Tony Perez stopped the fight before the start of the fourth round.
    In 1972 Quarry, ranked #2 at fight time, received his well-deserved rematch with Ali. The match was part of a racially motivated 'Soul Brothers versus the Quarry Brothers' event, which included his brother Mike Quarry fighting Bob Foster for the world light-heavyweight title. Despite a better effort, Quarry again lost by TKO to a much bigger Ali in what proved a tough night for the Quarry brothers.
    The following year, 1973, Quarry defeated contenders Ron Lyle and Earnie Shaver, but champion George Foreman refused to give him a title shot. Foreman, would later admitt to dodging Quarry his whole career.
    Quarry instead would fight Joe Frazier in the rematch many expected years earlier. Jerry tried to out-box Frazier and scored well early in the opening rounds, but began to fade under Frazier's heavy pressure. At the end of the 4th round, it appeared Frazier knocked down Quarry just before the round ended. Quarry was visibly injured by the body punch, but tried to continue. The fight was stopped shorly into the 5th round.
    Quarry could never remain retired. He had been married and divorced three times and fell victim to several failed business ventures. With few other opportunities, the fighter known for his many comebacks, continued to fight off and on until 1992.
    From 1964 to 1992, a 28 year career span, Quarry was 53-9-4 with 33 ko's.
    Jerry Quarry was inducted in the World Boxing Hall of Fame in 1995 and died in 1999, at age 53.

Bill Rohr Senior Class Photo.

Former professional baseball pitcher William Joseph Rohr was born on July 1, 1945 in San Diego, California.
    Bill Rohr was made his Major League debut with the Boston Red Sox on April 13, 1967, against Yankees ace Whitey Ford, on Opening Day at Yankee Stadium. In his first pro game, the 21-year old Rohr was one strike away from a no-hitter when the 12-time All-Star Elston Howard hit a single into right-center field. Rohr proceeded to retire the next batter for a 3–0 shutout. In his next start on April 23, Rohr again beat the Yankees, this time 6–1. However, Rohr would only win one more Major League game after that.
    On May 31, 1967, Rohr was called to active duty in New York by the Army Reserve, and would never start for the Red Sox again. After returning to Boston in September, Rohr was demoted to Louisville, and soon after sold to the Cleveland Indians.
    He appeared in 18 games with Cleveland, before being sent back to the minors where he would bounce around until retiring in 1972.
    Bill Rohr appeared in 27 Major League games, earning 8 saves and a 3-3 record as a starter.
    To casual baseball fans, Billy Rohr is a one-hit wonder. To 1960s Red Sox fans who suffered through years of near misses, Billy Rohr's one-hitter typified the experience of supporting their team. Standing on the brink of perfection, but somehow falling just short.
    As Peter Gammons noted in Musical Charies on Yawkeu Way (2000), "Billy Rohr was 1967, even if he only won two games and was out of town by June."

Ron Yary Junior Class Photo

Former professional football offensive tackle Anthony Ronald Yary was born July 16, 1946 in Chicago, Illinois. Ron Yary attended Cerritos Jr. College for one year before transferring to the University of Southern California, where he played with the USC Trogans from 1965 to 1967. Moved to the offensive line as a junior, Yary earned All-American honors in 1966, followed by a unanimous All-American selection in 1967. Yary was also awarded the 1967 Outland Trophy and the 1967 Knute Rockne Award, awards that annually go to the nation's top collegiate lineman. During his three seasons with the Trojans, they compiled a 24-7-1 record.
    The Minnesota Vikings selected Ron Yary with the first overall pick in the 1968 NFL Draft. He played for the Minnesota Vikings from 1968 to 1981 and the Los Angeles Rams in 1982.
    In Yary's tenure with the Vikings, the team won 11 division titles, the 1969 NFL championship, NFC titles in 1973, 1974 and 1976, and played in Super Bowls IV, VIII, IX and XI.
    The offensive team captain, Yary only missed two games because of injury - both in 1980 due to a broken ankle. Later that season, Yary continued to play with a broken bone in his foot.
    He was a 7-time Pro Bowl selection (1971-1977); a 6-time First-team All-Pro selection (1971-1976); and an 8-time All-NFC selection (1970-1977). He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1987 and in 2001, Ron Yary was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2001, and the Bellflower High School named their football field Ron Yary Stadium.

• Options
    byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭
    Interesting thread and an interesting point for Yary--he just had another kid with his wife and I believe he has three under the age of 7.
  • Options
    (Figured better post this one before/if the Giants cut Spicer. Even if they do I imagine he will make another team or practice squad at least, but one might consider him the best non-drafted rookie to watch for this year?)

2002 Rancho Cucamonga High School Yearbook (Rancho Cucamonga, California), titled "Tukwet."

Attending this school at the time in the Senior Class is NFL safety Patrick Chung and in the Junior Class is USC (NFL?) tackle Averell Spicer.

2001-2002 Rancho Cucamonga Varsity Football Team.

With a 7-3 record (3-2 in conference), the 01'-02' Varsity Football yeam made its way the C.I.F., despite suffering multiple injuries throughout the season. 10-15 players were out for the first round in the state finals, however Rancho Cucamonga's odds were not that bad, as they were matched with Diamond Bar, who was also 3-2 in conference, and who also had a nice list of injuries. Diamond Bar's secondary's proved the better in a pretty close 29-20 game.

Patrick Chung, a wide reciever and a free safety, was named a first-team all-Baseline League pick for the second year in a row and was rated among top the 90 prospects in California by SuperPrep magazine.
    Junior Averell Spicer, a running back and defensive end, made the Cal-Hi Sports All-State Underclass first team and All-Valley first team at defensive end while posting 71 tackles, 29 tackles for loss, 14 sacks, 3 forced fumbles and 2 fumble recoveries. Spicer was also on Rancho Cucamonga's track team, where he had a best of 11.2 in the 100 meters, 61-8 in the shot put and 170-0 in the discus throw.

Actor Craig Traylor, best known for playing Stevie Kemarban, the asthmatic boy in the wheelchair on Malcolm in the Middle, graduated from RCHS in 2007, which means he might be a freshman at the time, but I could not find him in the yearbook.

Patrick Chung is shown running with the ball in a Varsity Football game (page 29); has a Senior Class photo (page 230); waiting for a ride after school with a couple other kids by a friends car (page 250); and is in the Varsity Football Team group photo (page 332).

Averell Spicer is shown dressed up on Halloween to look like "James Brook" - who appears to be the school's security guard (page 140); having his cleats removed by student athletic trainer (page 194); has a Junior Class photo (page 222); and is in the Varsity Football Team group photo (page 332).

Patrick Chung Senior Class Photo.

Chung running with the ball.

"Anticipating a ride in the souped up car belonging to senior Daniel Ashley, seniors Art Drumwright, Chris Gear, and Patrick Chung wait patiently."

Professional football safety/special teams player Patrick Christopher Chung was born August 19, 1987 in Kingston, Jamaica.
    Chung attended the University of Oregon as a political science major from 2004 to 2008, and played with the Oregon Ducks from 2005 to 2008. After being redshirted in 2004, Chung became the team's starting safety in 2005, where he collected 91 tackles (5 solo), deflected five passes and caused a fumble. As a Junior, Chung led the team with 117 tackles (71 solos), make 7.5 stops for a loss, broke up nine passes and made two interceptions. Chung also played on Special Teams as kickoff returner where he averaged a respectable 22.3 yards. In 2008, he made 92 tackles (58 solos) in 13 games, coming up with two sacks among his 6.5 stops for loss. Chung caused and recovered a fumble, batted down seven passes and returned his only interception 31 yards for a touchdown. Along with offensive lineman Max Unger, the pair set the school record with 51 consecutive starting assignments. He also posted the Oregon's second-best bench press (345 pounds) in the 2008 winter testing, in addition to producing the Ducks' fifth-best power clean lift (324 lbs.) of all time among players in the secondary.
    Patrick Chung was drafted by the New England Patriots in the second round (34th overall) of the 2009 NFL Draft. Chung played in all 16 games (with one start) as a rookie, seeing action as reserve safety, and on special teams coverage and return units. On October 18, 2009, Week 6 in the 2009 NFL Season against the Tennessee Titans, Chung made his first NFL interception, picking off a Vince Young pass intended for Alge Crumpler. He finished fourth on the team in special teams tackles with 13 and led the team in special tackles once.
    “Once you get comfort, and know what you’re doing, you can play confident,” Chung said. “ I love football man. We all love football. It’s all we do…Comfort level comes with experience. You know what you’re doing, read the playbook, study the playbook, then you know what you’re doing vs. the person next to you, the person in front of you. You have no choice but to feel comfortable.”
    “You can make it as hard as you want to make it,” he said. “If you don’t want to be good, don’t want to help the team, then you can sit around. If you want to help the team, then you realize that you have a chance, then you do what you have to do.”

Averell Spicer Junior Class Photo.

"Taking a spat off the cleats of varisty football player Averell Spicer, senior athletic trainer Cortney Pappa tries to take a look at his ankle. "I think doing this teaches me about the medical field," Pappa said."

Dressed up on Halloween to look like "James Brook" - who appears to be the school's security guard. Pretty good.

Professional football defensive tackle Averell Spicer was born April 26, 1987 in Rancho Cucamonga, California.
    Spicer attended the University of Southern California as a sociology major from 2005 to 2009 and played football with the USC Trojans from 2006 to 2009, appearing in 30 games. Redshirted as a freshman, Spicer was a backup at nose tackle and defensive tackle as a sophomore in 2007. "Spice" started 3 games at nose tackle in 2008, while appearing in 10 games. He sprained his ankle at Arizona and missed 2 games. Moved from nose tackle to defensive tackle before the 2009 season, Spicer suffered an ankle injury at training camp. He had entered camp projected to start in the position left void by the departure of Fili Moala, a second-round pick in the NFL draft by the Indianapolis Colts. Spicer was hurt late in practice during a team scrimmage drill and required assistance off the field. Coach Pete Carroll described the injury as a severe sprain. "It's not like he's going to just brush this off," Carroll said.
    Spicer entered the 2010 NFL Draft and was projected to be a late round pick, but went undrafted. After accepting an invitation to the Chicago Bears 2010 rookie minicamp, which included the teams newly drafted rookies, undrafted free agents and 31 tryout players, Spicer became the first rookie and the only non-draftee to get signed. With the signing, Spicer became the 14th member of the 2009 USC Trojans to join an NFL team.
    Spicer impressed the Bears at rookie camp, but it will be hard for him to earn a roster spot, with Tommie Harris, Anthony Adams, Marcus Harrison, Jarron Gilbert, and Matt Toeina all ahead of him.
    I imagine only four of these players will get to play second fiddle with the newly signed 5-time Pro Bowler Julius Peppers.
    If Spicer is going to make it, he is going to have to prove his special team’s value first and his value on defense second. But anything is possible, and we all love the underdog (?).

• Options

<< <i>Interesting thread and an interesting point for Yary--he just had another kid with his wife and I believe he has three under the age of 7. >>

I have Yary's Senior yearbook and will try to get it posted sometime this week. He's one of the good guys.
  • Options
    Good stuff. Thanks for taking the time to post!