Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Modern Commemorative Half Dollars - Complete Set?

I am curious why the set registry only lists the following:
"Modern Commemorative Half Dollars, Circulation Strikes (1982-present) and Modern Commemorative Half Dollars, Proof (1982-present)",
but do not list a registry set for Modern Commemorative Half Dollars "Complete set". Is this just an oversight or might there be a reason for not having the complete half dollar commemorative set?

Comments

• Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

Possibly because there wasnt enough interest in them, despite some ridiculously low mintage numbers . Someday someone will discover them, like kid brothers of semi-famous musicians who also play... But I digress!

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2021 10:05AM

Example is the 2013-D Five Star General commemorative 50 cent piece (clad)

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options

You can find it on EBay for $25 (unslabbed). with only 38K of them in existence you would think someone would try to corner that little niche of a niche.

• Options

And no - I dont own one... just saying there are some hidden gems out there.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if you owned 10% of the mintage at 3,800 coins the price wouldn't be affected at all.
    Low mintage doesn't make up for popularity and desire.

peacockcoins

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2021 8:33PM

@JRsCoins said:
    I am curious why the set registry only lists the following:
    "Modern Commemorative Half Dollars, Circulation Strikes (1982-present) and Modern Commemorative Half Dollars, Proof (1982-present)",
    but do not list a registry set for Modern Commemorative Half Dollars "Complete set". Is this just an oversight or might there be a reason for not having the complete half dollar commemorative set?

Welcome to the Registry forum. There is no registry "complete set" for modern commemorative dollars either. All of the commemorative coins are covered either in the proof or the circulation strike sets, so adding another combined set may not be required.

There are around 200 registry collectors of both the commemorative half dollars and dollars. and so they are quite popular.

FYI, There is an option to request a new registry set, and they might even make a combined set like you are asking about, or would give you an answer as to why not.