Home Sports Talk

Pac 10 / Big 12 - Discussion

larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
Being a west coast guy I am very interested in this issue. Curious what y'all think.

I read Texas AM is not coming now and instead thinking about going to the SEC. That's a big loss I think. Sure Texas v. AM will still be a huge game but would have been nice for it to be in conference.

I also read that the Pac 10 is more interested in Utah than Kansas. I don't get that. I understand the population but Kansas is one of (if not the) biggest hoops team. Would love to see UCLA v. Kansas IN conference each year! Utah is a decent team but I think both Kansas and K-state bring better TEAMS on a consistent long term basis. Who knows what the future holds of course.

Also, why Texas Tech? They seem second rate to me. Again, I would rather have Kansas or Kansas State.

Lastly, where will Kansas and K-state end up? Would be huge for the Mountain West to get them. Would more than make up for losing Utah.

Interesting times....

Comments

• PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Personally, I think Kansas, K-State, Missouri, and Iowa State would make PERFECT additions to the Big 10. That would round it out to a 16 team super-conference and with Nebraska already in and Iowa and Iowa State already having a rivalry it would seem very logical.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I suspect the Pac 10 would prefer Kansas in a perfect world if A&M goes to the SEC, but the Jayhawks may have a "Kansas State problem" which politically prevents them from decoupling with KSU. If that's the case, the Pac 10 would likely go for Utah. They couldn't really take both KU and KSU and go up to 17 schools.

The Kansas men's basketball program is obviously a huge prize, but who will also take KSU if need be? The Mountain West probably would, but I don't know about any BCS football conferences which would.
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Actually Bigger conferences will help the BCS. Plus get rid of the playoff talk or allow for a smaller playoff format.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>I suspect the Pac 10 would prefer Kansas in a perfect world if A&M goes to the SEC, but the Jayhawks may have a "Kansas State problem" which politically prevents them from decoupling with KSU. If that's the case, the Pac 10 would likely go for Utah. They couldn't really take both KU and KSU and go up to 17 schools.

The Kansas men's basketball program is obviously a huge prize, but who will also take KSU if need be? The Mountain West probably would, but I don't know about any BCS football conferences which would. >>

I think the both Kansas schools and the majority of us here in Kansas want the two teams to stay together.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • it will be interesting to see where iowa state goes and missouri. If not the big ten then where else?
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    The NCAA has already said if the Big 12 loses Texas and Oklahoma they will have their automatic bids revoked. I can't see the Big 12 surviving much longer. They supposedly are trying to save the Big 12 at the last moment.

I think A&M to the SEC is just talk right now. It will most likey follow Texas wherever they go.

The push to 16 team super conferences is now offically under way. I personally can't believe the NCAA is going to sit by quietly and let Football implode all other sports in the NCAA.

Iowa State and Kansas State are pariahs right now. Nobody wants to take them. If Kansas sticks to K-States side it could be looking at a WAC, Conf USA or MAC affiliation soon.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    the Pac 10 might be getting some teams according to Espn...I like what I hear, but its only hearsay right now.

<< <i>Iowa State and Kansas State are pariahs right now. Nobody wants to take them. If Kansas sticks to K-States side it could be looking at a WAC, Conf USA or MAC affiliation soon. >>

Worst case, Kansas and Kansas State would be in the Mountain West rather than any of these other alternatives, which will likely receive an automatic BCS bid before too long.

Now Baylor, on the other hand, *could* wind up in CUSA or the WAC.
  • ddfamfddfamf Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Big 12 was doomed from the start back in the early to mid 90's.

It seems to be all about butts and TVs - K-State, Iowa State, and Kansas seem to put the fewer butts in front of the TVs than any of the other teams mentioned.

JMO

D
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    It seems like the Big 12 name (and history) is worth more than the Mountain West name. I wonder if BYU, et al join up with K-state, et al in a new "Big 12!?"

Also, what will the Pac 10 be called? As it's clear teams will be changing more and more as time goes on it makes sense to go with names that don't have to be changed whenever a team comes or goes. Also, less geographic in nature since conferences are growing. The "Mountain West" conference could have teams pretty far from any mountains of the "west." Plus for the "Pacific ___ " conference to have teams 1,500 miles away from the Pacific Ocean (and 2 time zones) seems like that name is sort of silly.

I remember when the "Pac 8" became the "Pacific 10" in the late 70's.

At least the Big 10 and Big 12 have names that aren't geographically identified. However, will be confusing if the Big 10 has 12 teams and the Big 12 has 8 or 10 teams!?

It's sort of like the WAC which I believe has a team in Louisana. Maybe the W just stands for "Weak" and not "Western!?"

Just thinking out loud here. I don't know the answers.
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The push to 16 team super conferences is now offically under way. I personally can't believe the NCAA is going to sit by quietly and let Football implode all other sports in the NCAA.
    >>

The NCAA has brought it upon itself. The easiest way to stay relevant would have been to force NCAA football playoff 20+ years ago before the money got too big for the schools to want it. When we get to four 16 team super conferences, the NCAA can go !#$@$ themselves.

<< <i>The NCAA has brought it upon itself. The easiest way to stay relevant would have been to force NCAA football playoff 20+ years ago before the money got too big for the schools to want it. When we get to four 16 team super conferences, the NCAA can go !#$@$ themselves. >>

Actually, the NCAA tried to stop it in the early 1980s, but they lost their case before the Supreme Court to keep control of TV contracts and revenues of member schools; thus it was the teams and the conferences, not the NCAA, now in charge of TV contracts.
    Ok. So now Texas, et al are not going to the Pac 10. What should the Pac 10 do? Get Utah? Get BYU? Get Air Force? Those are such lesser athletic programs than Texas. Will Big 12 get TCU? I guess what I am saying is I could see the Mountain West falling apart.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some interesting thoughts...

The new Big 12

Kansas
    K-State
    Iowa State
    TCU
    BYU
    Utah
    Texas A&M
    Texas
    Baylor
    Oklahoma State
    Missouri
    Texas Tech

Sort of a hy bred of the old Southwest Conference, Big 8 and throw in BYU and Utah

This assumes that Oklahoma goes Hollywood with Colorado and the Pac 10 goes to 12

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

One other thought-

The concept of a mega conference- 16 teams or more really creates a bigger problem- scheduling, divisions and the luck of the draw and AGAIN scheduling- example- team A played B and not C and C played D and D beat team A and A does not play C and A wins the title and C whines because they never had the chance to play A

So it really boils down to which schools get the money based on their conference because there will be excuses, arguments and reasons why a team that wins a conference championship or even a national championship was just not the team that should have won.

• stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This assumes that Oklahoma goes Hollywood with Colorado and the Pac 10 goes to 12 >>

OU stays with the Big 12/10.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Well it looks like the Pac 10 lost out on some good schools. I'll keep my fingers crossed for something.
    Colorado seems to have jumped the gun - it is being reported (tentatively) that they will receive LESS money in the PAC-10 than in the NEW TV deal that the "BIG-12" signed with Fox.

Ironically, in basketball, the Big-12 conference RPI increased as the two arguably worst schools departed (Nebraska and Colorado), or so say the reports.

Thank goodness for Texas - they make KU, Kansas State, and Missouri more money than those schools could do alone!

Edited for spelling

<< <i>Colorado seems to have jumped the gun - it is being reported (tentatively) that they will receive LESS money in the PAC-10 than in the NEW TV deal that the "BIG-12" signed with Fox.

Ironically, in basketball, the Big-12 conference RPI increased as the two arguably worst schools departed (Nebraska and Colorado), or so say the reports.

Thank goodness for Texas - they make KU, Kansas State, and Missouri more money than those schools could do alone! >>

Since I have seen several press conferences from Colorado and Nebraska on their all the money they will make from joining the PAC-10....that is quite funny.

Anyone know why Kansas is so windy?

Because Colorado and Nebraska suck.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Mark,

I have heard the same until last night. However the newest agreement from Fox TV just reached last night(?) ironically could not have been reched if Colorado was still in the league...I get the feeling that they were a stumbling block in a major network TV deal.

Therefore when Colorado left for "greener football fields" a major deal was able to be struck without them.....basically a 10 team conference WITH Texas will have more revenue to be split than a 16(?) or 12 team conference without Texas that Colorado is now a part of.

At least that's what 810 AND 610 are reporting here in KC - can't tell you if it's all correct or not - that's the theory.

I heard the joke as: Was why do the trees in Kansas lean to the East ------- b/c Missouri sucks! image
    I have heard the same until last night. However the newest agreement from Fox TV just reached last night(?) ironically could not have been reched if Colorado was still in the league...I get the feeling that they were a stumbling block in a major network TV deal.

Therefore when Colorado left for "greener football fields" a major deal was able to be struck without them.....basically a 10 team conference WITH Texas will have more revenue to be split than a 16(?) or 12 team conference without Texas that Colorado is now a part of.

At least that's what 810 AND 610 are reporting here in KC - can't tell you if it's all correct or not - that's the theory.

I am NOT saying you are wrong as I have absolutely no clue. However, this doesn't totally make sense to me since Denver is about the biggest TV market in the Big 12. I realize their sports are nothing compared to Texas, et al but their TV market is huge. From everything I heard about the Pac 10 the key was TV market size (i.e. trying to get Denver, Dallas and Houston and not caring about Manhatten Kansas, etc...).
    The talking heads seem to believe (although I haven't reasearched ay actual data) that the Denver market does not hold an extremely significant share for Colorado collegiate sports.....so yes they are a huge "television" market, but they don't "watch" the college sports as the fans in Nebraska or Texas do.....the ratings for Colorado football and basketball just aren't where you would believe for the large market.

Again, this is not to infer that Colorado fans are collegiate-apathetic, but the television numbers, if the reports are to be believed, show a trend toward a more "professional" sports following.

• stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Again, this is not to infer that Colorado fans are collegiate-apathetic, but the television numbers, if the reports are to be believed, show a trend toward a more "professional" sports following. >>

It's always been like that. The schools have fantastic support from alumni and local fans but when it comes state-wide for TV audiences, not so much.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
    I dunno about all of this. Seems like they may be just trying to be spin doctors. With a 10 team league you cannot have a league championship game, which is a HUGE revenue generator. Why would a network sign a big contract to a league that is losing its most important game? They would seem to be in a position to absolutely find two teams to keep that game. This would mean the revenue sharing remains the same. As far as the other schools jumping the gun, I wouldn't be so sure of that. When was the last time a team bailed out of the Pacific Coast Conference/AAWU/Pac-8/Pac-10 or the Big 10? The Big 12 has had rumours of Texas bailing out before, and I doubt these rumours will go away just because of this. Texas, Texas A & M, Texas Tech, and Baylor destroyed the Southwest Conference with their exit in 1995. Fool me once...
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
    espn.com article:

So what's next with Pac-10 expansion?
    June, 15, 2010 Jun 152:39PM ETEmail Print Comments By Ted MillerOne of the good things about the Pac-16 scenario -- other than beaucoup dinero -- was that it was going to mostly keep intact the integrity of the traditional Pac-10 alignment (apologies to the Arizona schools), with the old Pac-8 settling in as a "Western" division.

Now, with Utah likely to soon join Colorado as the conference expands to 12 teams, there are some complications, starting with how the teams will be split up into divisions.

A North-South split appears most likely. In fact, the Boulder Daily Camera reported that Colorado was previously promised a spot in a South division if the 12-team scenario with Utah prevailed. That means the South would include Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Arizona State, USC and UCLA.

That would not go over well with the schools in the Northwest, which believe they need an annual trip to southern California for recruiting purposes. A "down the spine" split could alleviate that, with traditional rivals posted on opposite sides and guaranteed a game every year, but that creates travel issues, and the ACC tried that model and no one can keep up with which teams are in which division. A source said that idea has "no traction."

There are reports that Utah has already told the Mountain West Conference that it is leaving, but a source said no invitation has been extended from the Pac-10. Yet. That could change inside of 24 hours.

So instead of nine of the top 20 TV markets with the Pac-16 model, commissioner Larry Scott will have to settle for adding Nos. 16 (Denver) and No. 31 (Salt Lake City). That still might be enough to set up a conference TV network, and the addition of a conference title game could further increase revenue.

While the loss of $20 million a year, per team, a Pac-16 might have distributed likely has created some heavy hearts today, a Pac-12 is still expected to increase the conference's annual payout -- currently about $8 million to $9 million a year -- significantly.

How much, of course, remains to be seen when new broadcast rights are negotiated before the 2012 season.

Other issues ahead:

Is there any other scenario besides the "Utah joins and the conference becomes the Pac-12?" It doesn't appear so. But you never know.
    When will the "Pac-12" start play? Utah can leave the Mountain West as early as 2011. Colorado and Pac-10 officials previously said the Buffaloes would join the Pac-10 in 2012, after the new media contracts are signed. But the Boulder Daily Camera suggested that 2011 is a possibility.
    What about Colorado's "exit" fees from the Big 12, which could be as much as $9 million. Colorado and Pac-10 officials were vague on the matter, though it seems the conference has agreed to at least pick up a portion of the bill. It's also possible there might be a legal challenge to the fees. Or at least some negotiating the figure down.
    Is there going to be a championship game and where? Holding the game every year in LA is a non-starter -- that means two trips to LA for fans of the winner. One solution is having the No. 1 seed play host for the game. Variations in stadium size could be an issue there, though.
    An idea: What about Las Vegas as a neutral site? It's within driving distance for eight schools and it's certainly a nice destination with more to offer than just the game. Stadium size, at present, could be an issue, but stadiums can be upgraded. And, really, it's not about ticket sales. It's about TV inventory.
    Will the conference schedule include eight or nine games? If it continues to be nine, that means there will be more opportunities for the "North" teams to play in southern California. If it's eight, then there will be more opportunities to schedule easy nonconference games. Or challenging ones.
    Will a Pac-12 get better bowl arrangements? Scott already made a solid move when he added the Alamo Bowl. Might there be others?
    How will the revenue eventually pencil out as things come together in 2012? Will it be enough to stay competitive with the rich conferences: the Big Ten, the SEC and the Big Texas?
    Finally, are we done? Or will expansion be an issue that continues to loom?
    Sounds like Utah is coming aboard. Seems funny to say but Utah is an upgrade over several other current Pac 10 teams! I think Utah is better overall than Colorado. I wonder if the Pac will stop at 12!?

What about the naming of conferences. Has anybody heard anything about that? The whole Big 10/Big 12 (with each having the opposite number of teams) seems like it should be fixed. Not sure what names though. The Big 10 could be the "Midwest" Conference, the Big 12 could be the "Central" and the Pac 10 could be the Pacific Conference!? I know not very original but do you have any better ideas?
    The separation of divsions seems to be problematic for the PAC whatever it is today

The separation of divsions seems to be problematic for the PAC whatever it is today

I could see LA schools, AZ schools and Nor Cal schools in the "south division" and utah/Colo, Oregons and Washington's in the north. Geographically it makes decent sense and I believe the Nor Cal schools would want to be with the so cal schools as the people of the state of nor cal think there is a big rivalry when playing so cal teams.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Nor Cal schools (Cal and Stanford) are mis labelled. If you look at a map of Calfornia, Cal and Stanford [and the SF Bay Area in general] are actually located in the central part of the state. Thus they should be labelled as Cen Cal.

Of course, it all depends on your point of view.

Many people I know (and probably more people that I do not know) who live in the LA Basin, Orange County, San Diego County, Ventura County, southern Santa Barbara County, eastern Riverside County and southeastern San Bernadino have a mind set where any place north of Magic Mountain/Newhall on I-5 and north of the city of Santa Barabara on US 101 is "Northern California".

Many have never travelled more than 20 miles from their place of birth [my wife has high school classmates she went to school with in the 1970's in southern Orange County who have never been to San Diego or downtown LAimage, much less San Francisco] and have absolutely no desire to ever do so.

For others, at best they have taken a plane trip to San Francisco for a weekend and have no idea that the state capital is located in Sacramento.

If you mention Oregon, Washington, Nevada or any of the other states of the Union and show them a map of the USA you receive a blank stare. If you show them a world map, the stare becomes even more blank.

Funny how some people are like that.
    The Pac-10+ could still get into the bigger markets quite easily. Extending invites to TCU (and/or SMU) and Houston (and/or Rice) would give them two schools in Texas (including the two largest markets). If they added UNLV and New Mexico they could add the #42 and #44 markets in the US (both of which are growing).

<< <i>The Pac-10+ could still get into the bigger markets quite easily. Extending invites to TCU (and/or SMU) and Houston (and/or Rice) would give them two schools in Texas (including the two largest markets). If they added UNLV and New Mexico they could add the #42 and #44 markets in the US (both of which are growing). >>

According to Pac 10 commiss. Larry Scot, there are no more invitations out and and that they are "done" expanding.

Scott, as most or some of you know, was hoping at first to take all the powerhouse from Big 12, but only ended up with Colorado and settled with Utah. Of all the key players in everything that has happened, I imagine Scot came out the worst....not getting Oklahoma, Nebraska or the Kansas teams.

I think the Big 12 should invite TCU and them maybe Rice or Houston. Keep the teams in the same geographic region to some degree, get back to 12 for conference tourneys and namesake.

TCU already plays Kansas teams (in the Missouri Valley) and Fort Worth's semi-pro teams play our semi-pro teams, like in minor league baseball and independent hockey leagues.