Home Sports Talk
Options

Phillies win today's game

stevekstevek Posts: 27,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
7 - 3

It's already etched in the season record.

Comments

• Options
    oh brother.
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    pathetic
  • Options
    Good grief - i may have to pull out my 2008 Phillies DVD and watch that - this is too depressing.
  • Options
    Phillies batters laying down like lambs.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mercenaries....the Mets will leave this sorry bunch behind for good by the All Star break..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Now it's seeing eye hits.
  • Options
    If I was the Phillies pitcher I'd hit Nava right in the ribs with a fastball...we need a bench clearing brawl to get this team motivated...something...anything!
  • Options
    Has an NL pitcher ever given up more than 13 hits in 3 innings? Very impressive, Mr. Blanton!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I think the Phillies need to hire a crop duster plane and start seeding those clouds over the stadium, and quickly.
  • Options
    I wish i woulda scheduled some root canal surgery for today.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I was the Phillies pitcher I'd hit Nava right in the ribs with a fastball...we need a bench clearing brawl to get this team motivated...something...anything!

Now there's a real classy statement from one of the board's premiere sportsmen. You're a dumbass for saying something like that instead of giving the kid credit for hitting a GS in his first MLB at bat.

Get a clue, your team happens to suck BIG TIME right now...deal with it.
  • Options

<< <i>If I was the Phillies pitcher I'd hit Nava right in the ribs with a fastball...we need a bench clearing brawl to get this team motivated...something...anything!

Now there's a real classy statement from one of the board's premiere sportsmen. You're a dumbass for saying something like that instead of giving the kid credit for hitting a GS in his first MLB at bat.

Get a clue, your team happens to suck BIG TIME right now...deal with it. >>

Hey dufus - ask the nurse at the home to change your diaper - you're getting cranky again.
  • Options
    If this was a fight - they'd stop it.

I'm predicting a nice Phillies bounceback win on Sunday - gotta be right sometime. LOL
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I think you jinxed 'em !

Steve
  • Options

<< <i>Personally, I think you jinxed 'em !

Steve >>

I agree. LOL
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Stevek- Remember my prediction about the Phills staff about a month ago on your Phillies thread? Their #3 - #5 starters aren't pitching nearly good enough for them to make a run this year. You can have 8 Chase Utleys on your team, but if you're trotting Joe Blanton and Kyle Kendrick out there for 40% of your starts, its just not going to work. Either they get alot better, you call up some young arms from AAA, or you make a move to add someone else.

-Michael
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options

<< <i>Stevek- Remember my prediction about the Phills staff about a month ago on your Phillies thread? Their #3 - #5 starters aren't pitching nearly good enough for them to make a run this year. You can have 8 Chase Utleys on your team, but if you're trotting Joe Blanton and Kyle Kendrick out there for 40% of your starts, its just not going to work. Either they get alot better, you call up some young arms from AAA, or you make a move to add someone else.

-Michael >>

Not taking anything away from Nava, or maybe I am...but throwing a 27 year old rookie in his first at bat, first pitch, a slightly inside down the pike fastball, was pathetic beyond belief. The guy obviously is a free swinger - where were the scouts on this guy and where were the breaking balls away that should have been thrown to this guy? Anybody stepping up to the bigs can hit a fastball or they wouldn't be there - ya gotta make 'em prove they can hit the breaking ball first - pitching 101.

Plus the Phillies hitting is lifeless out there, and in the field they are making some routine outs into dramatic plays. Yes, you're right about the pitching but I'm afraid that's not the only problem...it may very well be a heart problem if ya know what I mean - hate to say that, but ya can't ignore the obvious symptoms.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Stevek- Remember my prediction about the Phills staff about a month ago on your Phillies thread? Their #3 - #5 starters aren't pitching nearly good enough for them to make a run this year. You can have 8 Chase Utleys on your team, but if you're trotting Joe Blanton and Kyle Kendrick out there for 40% of your starts, its just not going to work. Either they get alot better, you call up some young arms from AAA, or you make a move to add someone else.

-Michael >>

Not taking anything away from Nava, or maybe I am...but throwing a 27 year old rookie in his first at bat, first pitch, a slightly inside down the pike fastball, was pathetic beyond belief. The guy obviously is a free swinger - where were the scouts on this guy and where were the breaking balls away that should have been thrown to this guy? Anybody stepping up to the bigs can hit a fastball or they wouldn't be there - ya gotta make 'em prove they can hit the breaking ball first - pitching 101.

Plus the Phillies hitting is lifeless out there, and in the field they are making some routine outs into dramatic plays. Yes, you're right about the pitching but I'm afraid that's not the only problem...it may very well be a heart problem if ya know what I mean - hate to say that, but ya can't ignore the obvious symptoms. >>

Hang in there, Stevek. So much talent on this team, they just need to catch a few breaks before they get hot again.....and they need to add 1 more top notch SP worthy of a spot in Philadephia. I don't even think the A's would take back Blanton at this point.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options
    Don't look now but a certain team from Flushing NY has one of the best starting r4otations in baseball over the last month now...image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

-Michael >>

Plus the Phillies hitting is lifeless out there, and in the field they are making some routine outs into dramatic plays. Yes, you're right about the pitching but I'm afraid that's not the only problem...it may very well be a heart problem if ya know what I mean - hate to say that, but ya can't ignore the obvious symptoms. >>

Hang in there, Stevek. So much talent on this team, they just need to catch a few breaks before they get hot again.....and they need to add 1 more top notch SP worthy of a spot in Philadephia. I don't even think the A's would take back Blanton at this point. >>

I'm of course concerned, but not worried...it's only June yet. But I don't recall any Phillies team, even the bad teams, going through a stretch like this whereby they looked so lethargic. Ya can't win a championship every season, but at least fight for it, and I just don't see any fight in the Phillies right now.

It starts with the manager, and I'll say it again for emphasis...Charlie shoulda called for some chin music or a waste high way inside fastball, give Nava a little rib tickler to welcome him to the bigs after that grand slam and him jumping out of the dugout jubilantly waving his hat around, and showing up the Phillies - that was not a discreet curtain call...he likely didn't mean to do it that way, but he did it just the same and it called for a response as noted. Then get the other team hissed off and hopefully the Phillies would respond and get hissed off. Many great managers and pitchers in the past employed strategies such as that - it's part of the game and if anyone can't stomach it, then go watch soccer.
  • Options
    So basically the Sillies are now left to start bench-clearing brawls just to get motivated? I love it, LOL!!

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I've seen some overly exuberant curtain calls by some of the Phillies in the past.

Keyword (past)

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I think they should tell Kendrick that he's just been traded to the Yomiuri Giants of the Japanese league. Only this time, you should really trade him for some Japanese pitcher(s) and send his arse out of Phili. I still think thats my favorite practical joke video on youtube. I watch it at least once a month.

-Michael

• Options

<< <i>So basically the Sillies are now left to start bench-clearing brawls just to get motivated? I love it, LOL!! >>

Gotta do something, kick dirt on an umpire, get thrown outa the game, do something...but I guess Charlie is just gonna wait it out and expect the Phillies to turn it around. Hopefully that works...I dunno, I remember the 1980 Phillies and how Dallas Green "inspired" them to win, and it wasn't by being a nice guy. Charlie probably figures this team has been in back to back WS and knows what to do - Sure they know what to do, and I'd like to see them start doing it.
  • Options
    Sillies fans are queers.
  • Options

<< <i>If I was the Phillies pitcher I'd hit Nava right in the ribs with a fastball...we need a bench clearing brawl to get this team motivated...something...anything! >>

Got to love the mentality of the typical Philadelphia fan.
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>Sillies fans are queers. >>

Says the Lady Gaga fan with the little thingy. image
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not taking anything away from Nava, or maybe I am...but throwing a 27 year old rookie in his first at bat, first pitch, a slightly inside down the pike fastball, was pathetic beyond belief. The guy obviously is a free swinger - where were the scouts on this guy and where were the breaking balls away that should have been thrown to this guy? Anybody stepping up to the bigs can hit a fastball or they wouldn't be there - ya gotta make 'em prove they can hit the breaking ball first - pitching 101. >>

Blanton just trying to get ahead of the rookie -- what rookie would swing at the first pitch of his MLB career? Too bad Nava was keyholing that exact pitch!
  • Options
    I meant to say Sunday's game.
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    cole clutch

a Spankees sweep will make me forget about the last month.
  • Options

<< <i>what rookie would swing at the first pitch of his MLB career? >>

A 27 year old one.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Nice turn around for the Sox since they played at Philly a month ago. They are starting to pitch like they are capable of and they are doing it without one of their better pichers. They are also missing their leadoff hitter.
  • Options
    There's been rumors that Nava can pitch as well as hit, sorta like Babe Ruth used to do.
  • Options
    Shouldn't this thread have been replied to last night?

The Phillies finally won a game.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Too bad you can't gain any ground with these last couple of victories...

• Options
    This thread, not the same day, but it wound up helping the Phillies regain their stride, playing better baseball, and I'm taking credit for the Phillies turnaround because I've heard that all MLB players, including Phillies players, read the posts at CU Sports Talk.