Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Submissions posted: Buffalo variety pop tops and a +

Two of my recent submissions have posted. The first posted yesterday and consisted of three ANACS graded and attributed buffalo nickel varieties, submitted in the ANACS holders. The results:

1913 T2 FS-1101, DDO, 1-O-VI. AU58. Pop 1/1, the second graded by PCGS. Was ANACS MS61.
1915 FS-101, DDO, 1-O-IV. G06. Pop 1/0, the first and only graded by PCGS. Was ANACS G06.
1917 FS-802, DDR, 2-R-IV, AU50. Pop 1/0, the first and only graded by PCGS. Was ANACS AU50.

The second just posted and was my quarterly freebie. I submitted a regrade of my 1936-D 3 1/2 legs:

1936-D FS-901, 3 1/2 Legs, AU58+. Pop 1/1

Not bad: two new pop tops and two pop 1's with 1 higher. imageimageimageimage

I'll post images after the mini-herd returns, probably Tuesday.

Enjoy!

Richard

My Buffalo Nickel Complete Variety Set

Comments

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats...

Looks like you're down to needing only about 15%.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All great results! The 3 1/2 legs you've written about before and now the story only gets better.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sounds a darn good day to me! Congrats! image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heckuva nice little variety collection you've got going there! image

Congratulations!
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great scores. I didn't even know there were so many Buffalo varieties.
  • Options
    coolkarmacoolkarma Posts: 512 ✭✭
    Finally, here are some images. The obverse and reverse images are taken with an ordinary camera while the "gray" images are taken with a Digital Blue microscope but with the color removed. This makes the varieties easier to see (at least for me). Suggestions on how to take better images would be appreciated (I set the camera to macro with auto focus and auto white balance and took the pictures with normal, indirect sunlight).

1913 T2 FS-1101, DDO, 1-O-VI. AU58. Pop 1/1, the second graded by PCGS. Was ANACS MS61.
    Note particularly the lower loop of the 3 in the date.

imageimage

1915 FS-101, DDO, 1-O-IV. G06. Pop 1/0, the first and only graded by PCGS. Was ANACS G06.
    Note the eye lid and the nostril.

imageimage

1917 FS-802, DDR, 2-R-IV, AU50. Pop 1/0, the first and only graded by PCGS. Was ANACS AU50.
    Note the lowest arm of the E and the tops of the letters in PLURIBUS.

imageimage

Enjoy!

Richard

My Buffalo Nickel Complete Variety Set

• Options
    coolkarmacoolkarma Posts: 512 ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I was 85.47% complete, but I've had one more submission post. New thread coming image

As with the dimes, there are many, many varieties that PCGS/CPG does not recognize.
    PCGS recognizes 11 RPMs, but The Authoritative Reference on Buffalo Nickels by Wexler, Pope, and Flynn recognizes about 118.
    PCGS recognizes 16 Doubled Dies, but AR recognizes about 65.
    PCGS recognizes 15 Two Feathers, but Pope's Abraded Die Varieties recognizes about 29.
    PCGS recognizes 1 No F variety, but ADV recognizes about 28.
    PCGS recognizes 3 3 1/2 Leg varieties, but ADV recognizes 5.
    And there are others!

There are lots more varieties out there just waiting to be found image

Enjoy!

Richard
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Richard

Thanks for posting these close-up photos. All doubling is apparent -- you're building quite a set. Please post more as you acquire -- I am always scouting for Buffalo nickel posts.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.