Home Sports Talk

The Big Ten

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
The Big Ten is no longer the Big Ten- and has not been since Penn State joined.

Tom Osborne would appear to know what is going on- Is Nebraska in the Big Ten? The answer seems to be yes

While Nebraska has a great football tradition, that tradition is with Oklahoma, Missouri and Colorado.

If I was I asked what team from the Big Ten has played Nebraska the most times, my answer would be Minnesota followed by Wisconsin- then perhaps Illinois or Iowa.

I am a huge fan of the Big Ten... however, tradition means something to everyone and there really is no substitute. Penn State and Pitt was once a decent rivalry and as I sit here now, I can not tell you when they last played- perhaps 1995?

I would rather see Nebraska play Oklahoma, Missouri and Colorado than join the Big Ten mainly because these games have always been great- something money is unable to buy.

It really seems this expansion talk is really hurting what has made College Football great.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I agree. As if people needed more reasons to be turned off by college football, given all the problems with the BCS, now fans have to contend with 75-year old rivalries going by the wayside all because of money. I still haven't figured why they changed the names of Division I and I-AA to whatever acryonyms they changed them too a couple years back. I love how these universities can figure out how to make money in all sorts of ways, but they can't figure out a way to have a freakin playoff....give me a break.

I know college football will always be huge in certain parts of the country, but it's stuff like this that turns away the casual fans. I used to be a pretty die-hard college football fan, but I can honestly say that outside the BCS title game, there isn't one game that I mark on my calendar to watch.

• CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
    To folks in Nebraska, it felt as if we lost most of our traditions when the Big 12 was formed. But there was a lot more to this decision than football. IMHO
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • will seem strange nebraska playing ohio state and penn state every year.
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    For us here in Kansas, this is terrible. Now I really hate "All my players are on steroids" Osbourne. Guess he got tired of being beat by K-State.

Everyone here seems to think the Kansas teams should stay together....I guess that means we will going independant?
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • GootGoot Posts: 3,496

<< <i>
    I know college football will always be huge in certain parts of the country, but it's stuff like this that turns away the casual fans. I used to be a pretty die-hard college football fan, but I can honestly say that outside the BCS title game, there isn't one game that I mark on my calendar to watch. >>

I agree completely. It won't affect me at all because I live in one of THOSE "parts of the country" but I could definitely see this hurting the casual fan's interest. My dad, who is a pretty big sports fan but is often too busy during the week to really pay attention to all of this, turned to me today and goes "So....why are they changing conferences again?" And I just looked at him and said "I'm pretty sure it's just about money." That's the best explanation I could give! Can you imagine sitting there and having to explain that to a casual fan??

<< <i>For us here in Kansas, this is terrible. Now I really hate "All my players are on steroids" Osbourne. Guess he got tired of being beat by K-State.

Everyone here seems to think the Kansas teams should stay together....I guess that means we will going independant? >>

Anyone find it interesting that 2 north schools left the Big 12? Colorado left the day before for the PAC-10, remember.

The Southern (University of Texas) hierarchy offered the conference no long term stability and the northern schools failed to stand together to help benefit the north on key votes. Wasn't it a 11-1 vote last year against having a rotating football chamionship game? The reason? So Kansas City could get a financial crumb by hosting the basketball tournament. It's all about money folks. Even the college athletic purists in Kansas wanted the money from the Bball tournament. "No, it was tradition." Yeah, right. Maybe KU, KSU, ISU and MU should have thought more about tradition when they voted with Texas on most conference votes over the past 15 years since the Big 12 was formed in '96.

Texas is no ones ally other than Texas'. Deloss Dodds of Texas said a few days ago, "We didn't start this fight but we'll sure end it." concerning conference expansion. Look whose left holding their cards? Now they're saying they want to hold the Big 12 togethter. Yeah right. If that's true why all the constant reports of Texas taking themselves and their lackies to the PAC-10? Where's the discussion about they're loyalty? Why aren't we hearing reports of the long list of teams the Big 12 is luring in to replace CU and NU? I mean really, if the league is so great, wouldn't other teams be jumping at the chance to be members? If KU, KSU, ISU, MU think they have a better ally in Texas than they did in Nebraska they're dreaming. But now it's their collective nightmare.

Texas has and will always have only one interest...Texas. This is the second conference those selfish, self important SOB's (that's short for "Supporters of Bevo" BTW. image ) have ruined. First the Southwest, (remember, the SWC was falling apart at the seams and it was the Big 8 who invited the 4 Texas schools to join them to form the Big 12, not the other way around) and now they've done the same thing to the Big 12.

The problem isn't Nebraska or Colorado leaving folks. The problem is Texas, plain and simple.

edit to add--------------

lifetime record KSU Vs. Nebraska in football

NU 76 KSU 15

• mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i> The problem isn't Nebraska or Colorado leaving folks. The problem is Texas, plain and simple. >>

Texas didn't hold a gun to Colorado's head or Nebraska's head and force them to leave. They left on their own and neither had to do anything. Blaming TX for that is a joke. Colorado leaving or not leaving was irrelevant. Other than the fond memories of Colorado playing the role of Lackey in several terribly lopsided Big 12 championship games, they clearly fall in the "Who cares" category. Nebraska started the Big 12 dominos falling, but they'll be better off with a much more lucrative annual conference check going forward. Aim your vitriol toward Nebraska, not Texas.

Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.

<< <i>Nebraska started the Big 12 dominos falling, but they'll be better off with a much more lucrative annual conference check going forward. Aim your vitriol toward Nebraska, not Texas. >>

Well, actually, this all started when Texas repeatedly made it known that they would move if the offer was right in many observers opinion, to strong arm it's will over the Big 12. Now, those threats proved to be empty and Texas finds itself having to actually prove that it really is the center of the football universe by attracting 2 more teams to join them in the Big 12. I'll say it again, if the Big 12 is so great why is it easier for teams like Texas and Oklahoma to leave than draw two more teams to join?
  • Iowa and Nebraska are already rivals even though we never play. To Iowa fans, adding the bug eaters was a great move for the big ten.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Nebraska's all-time record versus current Big-10 teams (in order of most games played):

vs. Minnesota (20-29-2) 51 Games
    vs. Iowa (26-12-3) 41 Games
    vs. Indiana (7-9-3) 19 Games
    vs. Penn St. (6-7)
    vs. Illinois (7-2-1)
    vs. Michigan (2-3-1)
    vs. Mich. State (5-0)
    vs. Wisconsin (3-2)
    vs. Northwestern (3-1)
    vs. Ohio State (0-2)
    vs. Purdue (0-1)
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<To folks in Nebraska, it felt as if we lost most of our traditions when the Big 12 was formed. >>>

I'll take your word for it, but from the outside, it seems strange to say. All of your longtime rivals stayed in the conference.

The funniest thing about this is all the misnomers for conference names - the Pac 10 now has teams in the Midwest, the Big 10 has 12 teams.

If they are going to butcher college football like this, why don't they just make 8 power conferences of 12 teams each, with teams grouped primarily by geographical location. Relagate the smallest Div 1 schools to 1-AA (I refuse to use the new acronyms). Have two divisions per conference, everybody plays everybody in their division once, plays 4 games against teams from the other division, and plays 2 games vs someone from another conference (based on a rotating schedule, and based on order of finish from the previous year - like the NFL does). Then the two division winners play in the conference championship game, with the winner of that game joining an 8-team playoff for the national championship. Seedings in the 8-team playoff would be set by a committee, similar to how the b-ball tourney is run.
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Nebraska started the Big 12 dominos falling, but they'll be better off with a much more lucrative annual conference check going forward. Aim your vitriol toward Nebraska, not Texas. >>

Well, actually, this all started when Texas repeatedly made it known that they would move if the offer was right in many observers opinion, to strong arm it's will over the Big 12. Now, those threats proved to be empty and Texas finds itself having to actually prove that it really is the center of the football universe by attracting 2 more teams to join them in the Big 12. I'll say it again, if the Big 12 is so great why is it easier for teams like Texas and Oklahoma to leave than draw two more teams to join? >>

It would not be difficult at all for the Big 12 to add 2 teams to replace Colorado and Nebraska. But first they have to all agree that they're OK as a conference and that no one else is leaving. They could very easily draw from the Big East etc. to add 2 more teams. I think its already been mentioned, but Louisville would probably accept an invitation and TCU would as well. They could also steal other bodies from the Mountain West or the WAC if they wanted to. All it takes is for the remaining 10 commissioners to get together at a hotel, hold a press conference , and say "No one else is leaving, the conference will continue to exist." If that were to happen, I doubt any other chips fall, anywhere.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • GootGoot Posts: 3,496

<< <i>
    It would not be difficult at all for the Big 12 to add 2 teams to replace Colorado and Nebraska. But first they have to all agree that they're OK as a conference and that no one else is leaving. They could very easily draw from the Big East etc. to add 2 more teams. I think its already been mentioned, but Louisville would probably accept an invitation and TCU would as well. They could also steal other bodies from the Mountain West or the WAC if they wanted to. All it takes is for the remaining 10 commissioners to get together at a hotel, hold a press conference , and say "No one else is leaving, the conference will continue to exist." If that were to happen, I doubt any other chips fall, anywhere. >>

I think Utah and TCU would be their best bets if they were to try and replace Nebraska and Colorado.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have some great responses here- I appreciate the response that actually did the research in connection with Minnesota- Nebraska rivalry- I am actually not surprised that Minnesota leads the series- the majority of the games were likely played prior to 1950 in the day when Minnesota football was huge.

Perhaps my best memories of Nebraska playing against a Big 10 foe where back in the 1973-74 time frame when The Badgers upset and ended the Cornhuskers winning streak- Unfortunately, I do not remember the number of games, but I thought it was over 30- Wisconsin's 20-17 win will likely be the greatest non-conference win in the history of their program. I also remember an Iowa team that equally stunned the sporting world with a 10-7 win over Nebraska in Hayden Fry's second or third year as head coach- I think that was in 1979 or 1980.

In all fairness to the Nebraska faithful- who will ever forget the Thanksgiving Dat match up with Oklahoma in 1971? That 35-31 Nebraska win has to be considered one of the classics- I remember watching the game on TV and to this day, it is a game I will remember

• AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am actually not surprised that Minnesota leads the series- the majority of the games were likely played prior to 1950 in the day when Minnesota football was huge. >>

The Nebraska-Minnesota rivalry:

1900-1919 (14 Games) Minnesota won 10 of 14 (with 2 Ties)
    1932-1954 (21 Games) Minnesota won 18 of 21

1959-1974 (12 Games) Nebraska won 11 of 12
    1983-1990 (4 Games) Nebraska won 4 of 4

Minnesota's last win was 1960
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.

<< <i><<<To folks in Nebraska, it felt as if we lost most of our traditions when the Big 12 was formed. >>>

I'll take your word for it, but from the outside, it seems strange to say. All of your longtime rivals stayed in the conference. >>

Well, for example, the geatest tradition and rival for Husker fans was the Oklahoma game on the day after Thanksgiving. That yearly game was gone with the Big 12. Instead we were given a rival, Colorado, to play on the day after Thanksgiving. No rivalry or tradition there from a Nebraska perspective, just a game to put on TV the day after Thanksgiving.

And to be honest, many of NU's football problems were self inflicted during the Big 12 years. Bill Callahan to name one. image
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Nebraska-Minnesota rivalry:

1900-1919 (14 Games) Minnesota won 10 of 14 (with 2 Ties)
    1932-1954 (21 Games) Minnesota won 18 of 21

1959-1974 (12 Games) Nebraska won 11 of 12
    1983-1990 (4 Games) Nebraska won 4 of 4

Minnesota's last win was 1960

Well- there you have the stats to support that my analysis was fairly accurateimage

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i><<<To folks in Nebraska, it felt as if we lost most of our traditions when the Big 12 was formed. >>>

I'll take your word for it, but from the outside, it seems strange to say. All of your longtime rivals stayed in the conference. >>

Well, for example, the geatest tradition and rival for Husker fans was the Oklahoma game on the day after Thanksgiving. That yearly game was gone with the Big 12. Instead we were given a rival, Colorado, to play on the day after Thanksgiving. No rivalry or tradition there from a Nebraska perspective, just a game to put on TV the day after Thanksgiving.

And to be honest, many of NU's football problems were self inflicted during the Big 12 years. Bill Callahan to name one. image >>

Killing the NU-OU rivalry really killed a lot of the football tradition for Nebraska. They tried to replace it with a Colorado rivalry, which really never caught on after Colorado starting sucking, then NU sucked with Callahan, and then they both sucked. So tradition really died in 1996. Yes, now that the football team is better, they will miss the tradition of kicking the crap out of the Kansas teams, but we will get over it. We will NOT miss the Kansas teams kicking the crap out of NU in basketball -- the move to the Big 10 can only help their recruiting for hoops (but I will not hold my breath).

<< <i>

<< <i>For us here in Kansas, this is terrible. Now I really hate "All my players are on steroids" Osbourne. Guess he got tired of being beat by K-State.

Everyone here seems to think the Kansas teams should stay together....I guess that means we will going independant? >>

Anyone find it interesting that 2 north schools left the Big 12? Colorado left the day before for the PAC-10, remember.

The Southern (University of Texas) hierarchy offered the conference no long term stability and the northern schools failed to stand together to help benefit the north on key votes. Wasn't it a 11-1 vote last year against having a rotating football chamionship game? The reason? So Kansas City could get a financial crumb by hosting the basketball tournament. It's all about money folks. Even the college athletic purists in Kansas wanted the money from the Bball tournament. "No, it was tradition." Yeah, right. Maybe KU, KSU, ISU and MU should have thought more about tradition when they voted with Texas on most conference votes over the past 15 years since the Big 12 was formed in '96.

Texas is no ones ally other than Texas'. Deloss Dodds of Texas said a few days ago, "We didn't start this fight but we'll sure end it." concerning conference expansion. Look whose left holding their cards? Now they're saying they want to hold the Big 12 togethter. Yeah right. If that's true why all the constant reports of Texas taking themselves and their lackies to the PAC-10? Where's the discussion about they're loyalty? Why aren't we hearing reports of the long list of teams the Big 12 is luring in to replace CU and NU? I mean really, if the league is so great, wouldn't other teams be jumping at the chance to be members? If KU, KSU, ISU, MU think they have a better ally in Texas than they did in Nebraska they're dreaming. But now it's their collective nightmare.

Texas has and will always have only one interest...Texas. This is the second conference those selfish, self important SOB's (that's short for "Supporters of Bevo" BTW. image ) have ruined. First the Southwest, (remember, the SWC was falling apart at the seams and it was the Big 8 who invited the 4 Texas schools to join them to form the Big 12, not the other way around) and now they've done the same thing to the Big 12.

The problem isn't Nebraska or Colorado leaving folks. The problem is Texas, plain and simple.

edit to add--------------

lifetime record KSU Vs. Nebraska in football

NU 76 KSU 15 >>

Tradition and future is all those that have hit me up for booster funds preach. Tradition is a key part of all sports. Redskins vs Cowboys games, Red Sox vs Yankees....conference rivals across the board. It is a love-hate thing I sure you understand. I have never been personally offended by home crowd during an away game...and I know we are not very friendly at home either. It makes us part of the game a little. Wanting to cram a saxaphone down one of the the SMU band members neck, or always getting beat by Crayton. (I attended mostly WSU games as far as college goes). Or in more this case, watching quietly as the Nebraska players do their tunnel walk/chant and the Nebraska fan a little too drunk and close to me. Trying to figure just what the hell the home crowd is saying.....it's not easy at times. So to me...to a fan, yes it is tradition. Otherwise, we are just attending games of players we likely don't know other then the two returning players.

Of course, to Colorado and Nebraska, it is about money. And to Kansas...the potential loss of money. No one is questioning that and everyone has in fact said that quite a bit.

It is just sad that the dollar beat fanship and tradition. In the end, I guess it won't matter much. It is the Missouri teams we really hate (in all sports...as well as politics and everything else) and Oklahoma who has always been our big kid on the block in football.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.

<< <i>

Well, actually, this all started when Texas repeatedly made it known that they would move if the offer was right in many observers opinion, to strong arm it's will over the Big 12. Now, those threats proved to be empty and Texas finds itself having to actually prove that it really is the center of the football universe by attracting 2 more teams to join them in the Big 12. I'll say it again, if the Big 12 is so great why is it easier for teams like Texas and Oklahoma to leave than draw two more teams to join? >>

There has been some discussions on other schools but all media was avoiding it due to the fact such would have only helped break the Big 12. You will see this week likely that discussions with other schools have been undergoing. It would be pretty counter productive for the Kansas schools to say lets stay together and at the same press conference discuss other schools.