Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Error coin cert. and grading issue

fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just picked this coin up from HLRC and found out (pleasently I thought) that it was designated as the DDR variety. When I tried to add it to my registry set it would not let me do so because it was submitted under the mint error program and the coin is classified as an E5399. I talked to PCGS and they said I would have to resummit to get it into a regular holder and that no error coins are allowed in the registry. My thought is this is silly and as the variety is really not that rare/scarce (IMO) nor is the error very obvious. The coin is rare in of itself wthout needing the DDR desination.

I did not know it was classiied as an E5399(Not that I would have known what it would mean for the registry) when I bought it and once I received it thought it was kind of a nice additional kicker(good thing). Overall I like the coin and am starting to think that a registry set is not all that important.

The second issue I have is that I was also thinking about sending it in under the guarantee grade program as I feel there is obviouse wear on many high points on the obverse. Do you agree with the 'market grade' and technically should it be a 55 or 58?

Thanks
John
imageimageimage

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.

Comments

• Options
    I think I slabbed it a few years ago but not sure.

You just need to have it reholdered - NOT pay a variety designation fee - as long as there is no question that it is a Cherrypicker (& which Cherry picker it is). Unfortunately that is problematic without an FS# on the holder.

Otherwise, absent the FS# on the holder you'd have to pay a variety designation fee (IF it IS a non-unique Cherrypicker variety for the date) & you can't add it as as (in) an error unless you reslab it in a NON-error holder.

See HERE for the last stated official policy.
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think I slabbed it a few years ago but not sure.

You just need to have it reholdered - NOT pay a variety designation fee - as long as there is no question that it is a Cherrypicker (& which Cherry picker it is). Unfortunately that is problematic without an FS# on the holder.

Otherwise, absent the FS# on the holder you'd have to pay a variety designation fee (IF it IS a non-unique Cherrypicker variety for the date) & you can't add it as as (in) an error unless you reslab it in a NON-error holder.

See HERE for the last stated official policy. >>

Thank you! Sounds like there may not be a variety spec. number for this DDR variety(which I find hard to believe). Nothing is in the population report for it. Also sounds like I can pay the variety desg. fee and they'll give it an FS# because I am sure it's not unique.
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    It is not listed in the Cherrypickers' Guide, so I don't think they will attribute it. Sometimes they change their minds, but in the opposite direction of what you would think.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    In the future, before buying a coin destined for your registry, be sure to check the coin number "on the slab". If there is an "E" preceeding the number, you'll not be able to enter it into your registry. Your slab specifically has an E preceding the coin number. ( E5399.62/08449002 )

For your specific coin, it is not a DDR from the CPG as there are no 1841 DDR coins listed so all you MAY get is a V coin number with a DDR Minor Variety designation. I don't think a "V" number (see below) will make it into the registry either. I'm not real sure though.

BTW, there is a HUGE typo on page 123 of the CPG in the Liberty Seated Quarters section. The page header says "Capped Bust Half Dimes".

Whoops! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grade seems correct. What you refer to as wear is cabinet friction. That would allow for the Unc. designation. Nice coin.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    V coins do indeed go into the sets. But PCGS does not put minor variety on all coin.

My 1941-S DDR (listing in the CPG) simply came back as a regular coin, so even submitting to get a valid coin for attribution doesn't mean they will attribute or even apply the minor attribution.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay