Home Sports Talk

Greatest Pitching Debut Ever

markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
According to Stats Inc it belongs to Marichal. He pitched a complete game shutout, allowing one hit and one walk. He struck out 12. Pretty impressive, as was Strasburg. I hope the kid stays healthy.

Comments

• GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Alot of outlets were saying JR richards had the best debut.
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    J.R. Richard struck out 15 with 2 earned runs on 7 hits while walking 3.

Box Score
    Juan Marichal struck out 12 with 0 earned runs on 1 hit while walking 1.

Box Score

Both Marichal and Richard threw complete games. I would call the winner Marichal, with Richard second, and Strasburg third (between those three).
    JM almost threw a No-No in his debut, that is crazy.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Really?

Anyone ever hear about a kid named Bob Feller?

From the internet:

Bob Feller debuted with 15 strikeouts in his first major league start for the 1936 Cleveland Indians. He was 17 years old at the time and had been signed by the Indians on the recommendation of legendary scout Cy Slapnicka, who was acting as the team's general manager at the time. After the season, he returned to Van Meter High School for the 1936-37 school term, as he was a rising senior during the 1936 season. When he graduated in 1937, NBC Radio covered his graduation.

Bob Feller's blazing fastball set the standard against which all of his successors have been judged. "Rapid Robert" spent his 18-year career with the Cleveland Indians, amassing 266 victories and 2,581 strikeouts, while leading the league in strikeouts seven times.

Steve

Good for you.
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Karl Spooner had an impressive debut as well. Using the Bill James game score, Strasburg's debut was the 74th best. He did give up two runs, and pitched "only" seven innings.
  • GootGoot Posts: 3,496

<< <i>While it's all good to get excited and I was impressed like most people, I think it's way too early to pump him up as everyone on this board has been doing (not saying you're really doing that). Strasburg had a 10.5 Ks/9 Inning ratio in the minors. Even if he increases it to 11K/9 Inning in MLB, and manages to pitch 7 Innings per start, we're talking about 8.5 Ks per game. He's not going to come remotely close to his 14K debut game in and game out. >>

Give it a rest and enjoy what Strasburg is doing NOW instead of sitting and waiting for him to strike out "only" 8 guys a game. Not sure anyone on here is saying he'll be striking out 14 every game anyways.
  • My son struck out the first 3 batters he faced in his pitching debut when he was 9.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Karl Spooner had an impressive debut as well. Using the Bill James game score, Strasburg's debut was the 74th best. He did give up two runs, and pitched "only" seven innings. >>

Wow, talk about promise!

Karl Spooner got called up in September of 1954 and started 2 games, both of which were shutouts. 15 strikeouts in the first, 12 in the second.
    His career ended after 1955 due to arm trouble.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Really?

Anyone ever hear about a kid named Bob Feller?

From the internet:

Bob Feller debuted with 15 strikeouts in his first major league start for the 1936 Cleveland Indians. >>

That wasn't his debut though. His debut came in relief.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    Growing up in LA in the 70's and 80's Fernandomania was pretty amazing. He came up in late 1980 and in 10 games, in relief, he was 2-0, 16 K's in 17 innings, and an era of 0.00. That ain't shabby!
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>J.R. Richard struck out 15 with 2 earned runs on 7 hits while walking 3.

Box Score >>

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • GootGoot Posts: 3,496

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>While it's all good to get excited and I was impressed like most people, I think it's way too early to pump him up as everyone on this board has been doing (not saying you're really doing that). Strasburg had a 10.5 Ks/9 Inning ratio in the minors. Even if he increases it to 11K/9 Inning in MLB, and manages to pitch 7 Innings per start, we're talking about 8.5 Ks per game. He's not going to come remotely close to his 14K debut game in and game out. >>

Give it a rest and enjoy what Strasburg is doing NOW instead of sitting and waiting for him to strike out "only" 8 guys a game. Not sure anyone on here is saying he'll be striking out 14 every game anyways. >>

The last I checked, this was a public forum. I wasn't aware I was only allowed to post what you might want to read. >>

haha I don't care what you post. Simply saying to enjoy what he's doing NOW. You took my post the wrong way.

<< <i>Fair enough. But unlike the rest of you, I just can get THAT excited about one performance, unless he struck out 20+ or something. But I definitely think he is very impressive. >>

I think being only 21, throwing 100mph, drafted #1 overall, shooting up through the minors and then pitching the way he did calls for the excitement.
    So how soon do you think it will be until he becomes a Yankee? I mean since they like to let all of the other teams do the scouting/drafting/training and just buy the best players in their prime... image
  • RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    I can't help but lament that if this were 20yrs ago, They would have let Stras finish what he started... I really hate the way pitching is handled nowadays... Of course your rookie shouldn't go over 250 innings in a season, but just let the momentum decide instead of the idiotic pitch counts... I love that Ryan is trying to bring the old skool back in Texas...
  • agreed Roar, half the starters in the league can barely throw 5 innings without a breathing treatment and a wet nurse.