Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Thoughts on value of a 1928-S Merc Large S PCGS MS66

Anybody have an idea as to what one would bring? White with no problems?

-David

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who is it slabbed by? PCGS has only slabbed TWO in FB. I have the 2nd Finest known in MS 62 FB....see my registry set. I obtained mine in an Ebay auction a couple months ago. It was not cheap by my standards but seemed in line with Cherrypickers' Guide....kinda....even though mine is FB and CPG does not value the FBs. As for non-FB the PCGS population report shows 2 in MS63, 1 in MS64 and 4 in MS65. ...12 total coins slabbed non-FB. So, if yours is an MS66 that would be graded as such or would cross over, I think you could get a nice premium for it since it would be the finest known in non-FB. The Cherrypicker's Guide from 2006 says $400 in MS63.

ANACS Pop report only shows 3! An AU-50, AU-55, MS-60
    I do not have access to NGC data.

Based on all of that fun data and what I have seen other varieties go for in the Finest Known category....$600-800+ ??????????????? People can be strange though and might not even consider it the finest known since it is not FB. Items are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them.

If I were you and I was selling a SLABBED MS66.... I would put it on a 30 day auction so it gets the most exposure. If this is a RAW coin......get it slabbed THEN sell it. Non-slabbed varieties and even some slabbed varieties will only go for a fraction of what they are worth. You stand the best chance if it is slabbed.

I hope that helps,

Greg
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Depends on how many need it if you put it up for auction. I would guess in the 50% higher than the regular S.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    Agreed that a 50% premium seems realistic.
  • Options
    Wow, I never looked up the value of an MS66 28-S until just now. According to the PCGS price guide they say $800.....then adding 50% on to that would make it $1,200.
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, I never looked up the value of an MS66 28-S until just now. According to the PCGS price guide they say $800.....then adding 50% on to that would make it $1,200. >>

Keep in mind the price guide is higher than what coins actually sell for.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the time I find it hard to get nice coins for the Price Guide figure or less. Most of the time it is more.

JMHO
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Wow, I never looked up the value of an MS66 28-S until just now. According to the PCGS price guide they say $800.....then adding 50% on to that would make it $1,200. >>

Keep in mind the price guide is higher than what coins actually sell for. >>

I know...and agree but it would not be too far fetched to say the coin could bring $800 to $1000 with just a couple of the right people (demand) bidding on it in a 30 day auction.