Home Sports Talk
Options

And in other news: USC gets 4-yr probation, 2-yrs no Bowls

stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
I mean, it's not really news to most of us, who knew this was inevitable.

Bush should give back his Heisman, even though he still claims that his family living in a mansion rent free or him accepting payments as being in compliance with the NCAA.

Link
So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

Comments

• Options
    Report from the NCAA -> link
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Give the Heisman to Vince.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Pete Carroll is going to have a tough time recruiting..........oh thats right, he jumped ship.
  • Options
    The NCAA has ruled that the University of Southern California athletic department exhibited a lack of institutional control from 2004 to 2009 for a wide array of rules violations committed in its football, men’s basketball and women’s tennis programs.

The findings of its investigation, spurred by a 2006 Yahoo! Sports probe, came in a 67-page report released Thursday.

As a result of those violations – which mainly centered on Heisman Trophy-winning running back Reggie Bush and basketball star O.J. Mayo – the NCAA’s probe resulted in USC being hit with multiple penalties. Among them:

• A postseason ban in football following the 2010 and 2011 seasons.

• A loss of 30 total football scholarships over the 2011, 2012 and 2013 seasons.

• A vacation of all football victories starting in December 2004 and running through the 2005 season. This includes the national championship win over Oklahoma on Jan. 4, 2005.

• An acceptance of USC’s self-imposed penalties on its basketball program, which included a forfeiture of all wins in 2007-2008 and a one-year postseason ban.

• All statistics vacated for Bush, Mayo and an unnamed women’s tennis athlete in the games which the NCAA deemed them ineligible due to rules violations.

• All titles won during ineligible games must be vacated and trophies and banners must be removed.

• Bush and Mayo must be disassociated from USC athletics.

• A forfeiture of wins in the women’s tennis program from May 2006 to May 2009, for long-distance telephone violations committed by an athlete.

• A reduction of recruiting days for the men’s basketball program in 2010-2011.

• Four years of probation.
  • Options

<< <i>Give the Heisman to Vince. >>

Agree 100%. He proved in the championship game who was the better player anyway.

And the Auburn Tigers are your 2004 National Champions.
  • Options

<< <i>Pete Carroll is going to have a tough time recruiting..........oh thats right, he jumped ship. >>

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that Pete left for greener pastures when the NCAA was planning on releasing its findings.

While Petey is rolling in the dough, Lane has to deal with the concequences.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Pete Carroll is going to have a tough time recruiting..........oh thats right, he jumped ship. >>

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that Pete left for greener pastures when the NCAA was planning on releasing its findings.

While Petey is rolling in the dough, Lane has to deal with the concequences. >>

Lane is rolling in the dough as well. Now he can continue his crappy track record at USC, and it wont matter -- he has a built-in excuse for 4 years!
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    losing 30 total scholarships hurts the team more like 6-7 years
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    As a UCLA fan I'm very saddened to read about USC's probation, loss of scholarships, etc.

NOT

imageimageimageimageimage

Most of my co-workers and family friends are always talking about how USC is the team...Now they won't have much to say for a few years, unless UCLA does worse.

I'm happy with the outcome, just don't understand why it takes so many years for the NCAA to properly investigate.

brian
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭

<< <i>just don't understand why it takes so many years for the NCAA to properly investigate. >>

They are quite similar to a government bureau, that should explain everything you don't understand.
  • Options
    Pete posts a youtube video.

If you read in between the lines, he's saying "Look, we didn't always follow the rules but a 4 year probation is way too much".

Nice try, Petey, but you should have cooperated with the NCAA starting on day 1.

Doug Farrar sums Pete's involvement up pretty nicely here:

<< <i>If the charges in the Infractions Report are correct, it's tough to dispute that Carroll was skirting the truth. And if Carroll not only knew about allegedly inappropriate dealings with marketing companies possibly attached to agents, but helped to establish those relationships - well, yikes. And that's what the report makes it sound like...

This leads right back to what could be the smoking gun in Pete Carroll's hand - per the same report, Carroll was going out of his way to try and provide internships, and possible agent opportunities, outside the NCAA's preferred ways of doing things. With two marketing agents involved, it's not known whether Carroll's involvement led directly to any hiring or possible illegal agent communication. But the larger issue expressed by the NCAA - a lack of institutional control - seems to have this at its root.

One wonders how the Seahawks, who chased and caught Carroll to run their franchise with all the ardor they could muster, feel about their new head man right about now. Perhaps it will be water under the bridge to them, as it will no doubt be to most of the team's fans. But if there's isn't a higher level of "institutional control" around Carroll than there was at his last job -- well, the Seahawks should look into that. >>

• Options
    After USC stole half our national championship, I only have one thing to say:

• Options
    very sad news for usc football fans.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

<< <i>very sad news for usc football fans. >>

We sold our soul for a few years of glory. Such is big-time college sports, I s'pose.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

I have a feeling that their "fans" will not be filling the Coliseum anymore. Attendance will probably fall into the 50k range if I had to guess.
  • Options

<< <i>

We sold our soul for a few years of glory. Such is big-time college sports, I s'pose. >>

Nah, the 'Stros did the same thing, just on a professional scale.

• Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Juniors and Seniors can transfer without sitting out a year.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I got this email today. Made me laugh:

"...I read between the lines and there was nothing but a lot of envy. They wish they were all Trojans." - USC AD, Mike Garrett reacting to the massive penalties assessed.

Yeah, sure, Mike. Like we all wish we were Saddam's Republican Guards.

"Fight on" you arrogant a___ole!

I assume it's true because $C are so full of themselves. It's sick. Nice to see them knocked down a notch.

Having said that, I don't think they should lose the championship. Sure they got caught cheating but what's to say 10 other teams get caught cheating and then what? Each year a new 2004 national champion is named until finally #13 Boise State is the "national champion" for 2004 becuase they didn't cheat!? I am making up that BSU was 13 but you get the point I assume.
  • Options

<< <i>I got this email today. Made me laugh:

"...I read between the lines and there was nothing but a lot of envy. They wish they were all Trojans." - USC AD, Mike Garrett reacting to the massive penalties assessed.

Yeah, sure, Mike. Like we all wish we were Saddam's Republican Guards.

"Fight on" you arrogant a___ole!

I assume it's true because $C are so full of themselves. It's sick. Nice to see them knocked down a notch.

Having said that, I don't think they should lose the championship. Sure they got caught cheating but what's to say 10 other teams get caught cheating and then what? Each year a new 2004 national champion is named until finally #13 Boise State is the "national champion" for 2004 becuase they didn't cheat!? I am making up that BSU was 13 but you get the point I assume. >>

If the NCAA investigates and finds teams 2-12 cheating, then yes, crown BSU champs.