Home U.S. Coin Forum

Another addition to the Oreville Collection 1876 $1 Octagonal BG-1113 PCGS AU-55

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
Now this is a rare one! I have waited 16 years to buy this piece! I was flabbergasted it showed up! I purchased the PCGS AU-55 slabbed BG-1113 Cal fractional piece. I also believe this should have been graded PCGS AU-50 but you cannot quibble with the grade when there are so few to choose from. Purchased for: $5,462.50

I did not like the Jay Roe BG-1113 piece offered in 2003 as it was cleaned/hairlined and labeled genuine by PCGS in the old rarely seen pre-2009 PCGS genuine slabs (in the XF-40 range - shown way below). But I should have bought it anyway as it went for only $575 and then 4 years later Heritage sold the same piece for $3225.75! PCGS has only graded 2 of these pieces in AU-55 and the other in Genuine (no grade) for a total of 3 in all grades/non-grades. NGC has not yet graded one. Breen-Gillio believes that the census is as many as 10 of these pieces but with "obvious" numerous duplicates. I believe there are only 5 of these pieces in existence.

This is the description of the Jay Roe piece when it sold at Heritage on May 31, 2007 === Sold for: $3,225.75

1876 $1 Indian Octagonal 1 Dollar, BG-1113, R.7, XF40 PCGS. The plate coin from the second edition of Breen-Gillio. This rare octagonal dollar is hairlined, and slightly wavy from a couple of tiny digs. Portions of the design are softly struck, but there is little evidence of wear. Listed as "EF40" in the Breen-Gillio second edition and in the Roe Collection catalog.
Ex: Anaheim ANA Signature (Heritage, 8/95), lot 5532; Jay Roe Collection (Bowers and Merena, 9/03), lot 558.
From The Diamond K Collection of California Fractional Gold. (#10924)

This is the description of the same Jay Roe collection piece when it sold in October 2003 at Bowers and Merena.

Lot #558. 1876 Octagonal $1 BG-1113. Rarity-7. Indian Head. EF-40. Final Bid $575.00
Auction Information: Bowers and Merena "The Jay Roe Collection" - 10/14/2003

Lot Information
The plate coin for the second edition of Breen-Gillio. Lightly hairlined from an old cleaning, but still bright and lustrous. Leonard et al suspect that this variety consists of gold plating over a baser, red-gold core…this example gives credence to that theory, as the edges, where the plating has worn off, are much darker than the rest of the coin. Extremely rare; only 10 examples are listed in Breen-Gillio with the notation: "Much duplication here." Maker: Herman J. Brand. Edge: Plain. From Heritage''s "ANA" sale, August 22, 1985, Lot 5532.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    You definitely know the series if you are willing to downgrade it from 55 to 50!

I love and appreciate truly rare coins like this, and I know the feeling of finding that elusive coin - VICTORY image

• MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    Whew! I need a towel after seeing that!

You know, this coin would look a lot less octagonal if they just put it in a round holder...
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat coin. Don't confuse wear with weakness of strike. These coins were struck on extremely thin planchets and there frequently wasn't enough metal to fully fill the design details of the opposing dies. I like it as a 50 or a 55 in any event.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man those things are crude. Looks like a 5 year old engraved the die.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>Man those things are crude. Looks like a 5 year old engraved the die. >>

You do know these coins are extremely tiny! Engraving work is actually quite phenomenol for such a small die
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Man those things are crude. Looks like a 5 year old engraved the die. >>

You do know these coins are extremely tiny! Engraving work is actually quite phenomenol for such a small die >>

Being somewhat crude is part of their charm.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Being somewhat crude is part of their charm. >>

Exactly. Look at the date for one example of the crudeness.

Note: I also added more pics and descriptions from prior auctions.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • nice piece you got there...

I have two very important questions, though...

Is it in a "breakaway" slab?

and

Do you plan on applying the world-famous "nose grease" for full effect?

Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I wish they would not put an octogonal coin in a round gasket. I suppose the supply of octogonal gaskets isn't there.
  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations !
    That's a great coin !
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    45, Plus, sticker. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list