Home Sports Talk
Options

Some breaking sports news for you gents! You heard it here first!

RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
Tom Izzo will be the next coach of the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Nebraska is leaving the Big 12 and joining the Big 10.

Both will be announced by the end of the week.
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only if LBJ is guaranteed to stay, otherwise a turrible move. May be anyway.

Will it be the Big Two Little Ten? Wait. Big One Little Eleven.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    Wow you went out on a limb there.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I am interested about the Big 12 break up. Presumably you know who is coming to the Pac 10? Texas and Colorado I assume. Who else?
  • Options
    Right now, with Nebraska leaving there are 2 scenarios for the Big 12. The first is they just add a team to replace Nebraska such as TCU or Utah and remain intact. The 2nd, more likely scenario is Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and either Colorado or Baylor leave for the Pac 10. Right now, I'd bet on the latter happening.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a Nebraska Alum (1986), and have mixed feelings about this.

Nebraska has a long tradition in the Big 8 and Big 12, and the old Big 8 schools have been together for a long, long, time, so losing those matchups will be wierd. The epic Big 12 championship game could have been the start of a nice Nebraska - Texas rivalry, or re-kinding of the Nebraska - Oklahoma rivalry.

However, the Nebraska - Oklahoma rivalry was effectively destroyed by the Big 12, and face it, the Big 12 North sucks for football. There was hope of good NU - Colorado, and/or NU- Missouri rivalries, but Colorado now sucks every year, Missouri is inconsisent, and Nebraska only recently got better. So I do not see a big loss of tradition at this point. There is just as much potential to devleop new Big 10 rivalries as there is to re-kindle old Big 8 or Big 12 rivalries.

So I say GO FOR THE CASH BIG RED!!! Which, if Burgandy's rumor is true, is what they did. So, hopefully, a new Nebraska - Iowa rivalry will develop, and the Big 10 and additional cash might bring recruiting hope to a perennially bad basketball program. For football, instead of beating up on Kansas, Colorado, and Iowa state, they will now beat up on Minnesota, Indiana, and Illinois.

GO BIG RED! image

• Options
    Big 12 went to the doctor today. Doc gave him 18 months to live.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    RonBurgundy should link his stories.

Link

NU to Big Ten as early as Friday?
    By Lee Barfknecht
    WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN — An executive at a Big 12 school relayed to The World-Herald on Tuesday that he expects Nebraska to become a member of the Big Ten as early as Friday.

NU Chancellor Harvey Perlman has declined all interviews about conference realignment and expansion. He is expected to address the topic with the Board of Regents at its Friday meeting in Lincoln.

Direct confirmation from Nebraska of a conference change for the Huskers wasn't immediately available. Sources at two other Big 12 schools told The World-Herald that their athletic directors have instructed them to be ready by week's end for a briefing on probable Big 12 changes.

Nebraska A.D. Tom Osborne offered implicit confirmation Tuesday night that the timetable on national conference realignment has been accelerated.

Advertising
    On his monthly appearance on the Husker Sports Network, Osborne said:

“I think before too long — I don't know exactly what that time frame is — we'll be able to put this to bed,'' then he jokingly added, “because I'm getting tired of it.''

The Big Ten first revealed on Dec. 15 that it was considering expansion, and that it would take 12 to 18 months to act.

Now, six months after that initial announcement, multiple sources have indicated that the Big Ten is prepared to add one to five schools (including Nebraska), and that the Pacific 10 is courting all six schools from the Big 12 South Division.

“There's a lot of information we really don't have right now,'' Osborne said. “Hopefully we'll get these put together in the next few days.

“Anything I would say regarding Nebraska's position or other schools in the Big 12 would be pure speculation. And I don't think that's very helpful.''

Another issue Osborne addressed is recent speculation that he has a personal grudge against Texas or that he is basing decisions on some hatred of the Longhorns.

“We certainly don't have anything against anybody in the Big 12,'' Osborne said. “This decision is not going to be based on animosity or petty jealousy. You're talking about something that could maintain for the next 75 to 100 years.

“This is a big deal in terms of the University of Nebraska. It's a big deal for other institutions. You don't ever make a decision based on personal likes and dislikes.''

Osborne said he gets along “very well'' with Texas A.D. DeLoss Dodds, and is a “great admirer'' of UT football coach Mack Brown.

“This is not a case of reacting to any one school,'' Osborne said, “particularly Texas.''

Earlier Tuesday, The World-Herald requested an interview with Dodds. His spokesman, from Austin, Texas, said Dodds was unavailable because of a personal commitment.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I would be shocked if Izzo left MSU if LJ was not going to resign.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Anyone who thinks Texas would really go to the PAC 10 is smoking crack. The Big 12 members would all be better off if left intact, rather than going to the PAC 10. There is little incentive for any single Big 12 member to leave for the PAC 10. If Missouri and Nebraska go to the big 10, then either the Big 12 will replace them with other schools, or the best teams from the Big 12 will go to the SEC leaving a shell of a conference in the southwest. I don't see the PAC 10 being big players in realignment at all, primarily because they have very little to offer, and far less to offer than either Big 10 or SEC.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Anyone who thinks Texas would really go to the PAC 10 is smoking crack. The Big 12 members would all be better off if left intact, rather than going to the PAC 10. There is little incentive for any single Big 12 member to leave for the PAC 10. If Missouri and Nebraska go to the big 10, then either the Big 12 will replace them with other schools, or the best teams from the Big 12 will go to the SEC leaving a shell of a conference in the southwest. I don't see the PAC 10 being big players in realignment at all, primarily because they have very little to offer, and far less to offer than either Big 10 or SEC. >>

Link

If even 1/2 of what's being reported in the above link is true then this post is going to be your 'Dewey beats Truman' moment on the CU boards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Anyone who thinks Texas would really go to the PAC 10 is smoking crack. The Big 12 members would all be better off if left intact, rather than going to the PAC 10. There is little incentive for any single Big 12 member to leave for the PAC 10. If Missouri and Nebraska go to the big 10, then either the Big 12 will replace them with other schools, or the best teams from the Big 12 will go to the SEC leaving a shell of a conference in the southwest. I don't see the PAC 10 being big players in realignment at all, primarily because they have very little to offer, and far less to offer than either Big 10 or SEC. >>

Link

If even 1/2 of what's being reported in the above link is true then this post is going to be your 'Dewey beats Truman' moment on the CU boards. >>

I don't guess I need to point out that orangebloods is a blog, not really a site where all the comments are carefully verified before being posted. But anyway, if you're Texas and Oklahoma and you're dead set on joining a conference of losers, why stop with the PAC 10? They should just go join the Mountain West or the Ohio Valley Conference and get it all out of their system. If the story on this blog did play out, then commissions in the Big 12 must collectively be of the opinion that they are willing to make irrational economic choices, simply to prevent the SEC from maintaining the top spot in the pecking order.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options

<< <i>I don't guess I need to point out that orangebloods is a blog, not really a site where all the comments are carefully verified before being posted. >>

And I don't guess I need to point out that orangebloods is a credible source of information. Would be willing to bet its content is vetted just as much, if not more, than the average "legit" sites.

I know, for a fact, UT officials have leaked information exclusively through orangebloods in the past and will continue to do so in the future.

But again, guess I don't need to point that out...
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Link

If even 1/2 of what's being reported in the above link is true then this post is going to be your 'Dewey beats Truman' moment on the CU boards. >>

I don't guess I need to point out that orangebloods is a blog, not really a site where all the comments are carefully verified before being posted. But anyway, if you're Texas and Oklahoma and you're dead set on joining a conference of losers, why stop with the PAC 10? They should just go join the Mountain West or the Ohio Valley Conference and get it all out of their system. If the story on this blog did play out, then commissions in the Big 12 must collectively be of the opinion that they are willing to make irrational economic choices, simply to prevent the SEC from maintaining the top spot in the pecking order. >>

I don't see how joining the Pac-10 would be an economically irrational choice if the Big 12 were to disintegrate.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Link

I don't guess I need to point out that orangebloods is a blog, not really a site where all the comments are carefully verified before being posted. But anyway, if you're Texas and Oklahoma and you're dead set on joining a conference of losers, why stop with the PAC 10? They should just go join the Mountain West or the Ohio Valley Conference and get it all out of their system. If the story on this blog did play out, then commissions in the Big 12 must collectively be of the opinion that they are willing to make irrational economic choices, simply to prevent the SEC from maintaining the top spot in the pecking order. >>

I don't see how joining the Pac-10 would be an economically irrational choice if the Big 12 were to disintegrate. >>

If the Big 10 expands by more than 1 team, then the SEC would want to add several of the Big 12 teams, namely TX or OK. Mike Slive has insinuated this several times. With the SEC's ESPN deal, they pay their members far, far more than PAC 10 members receive. If TX and/or OK went to the PAC 10 and spurned an SEC offer to do so, they would clearly be making a poor economic decision. The $ distributions of each conference to their member schools are all public- go look it up.

And besides the $, the PAC 10 has a terrible football product. Other than USC and occasionally Oregon, its a conference full of football programs that nobody cares about. If TX & OK go to the PAC 10, not only are they leaving series $ on the table, they are also admitting that they don't think they could be as successful playing an SEC schedule.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't guess I need to point out that orangebloods is a blog, not really a site where all the comments are carefully verified before being posted. >>

And I don't guess I need to point out that orangebloods is a credible source of information. Would be willing to bet its content is vetted just as much, if not more, than the average "legit" sites.

I know, for a fact, UT officials have leaked information exclusively through orangebloods in the past and will continue to do so in the future.

But again, guess I don't need to point that out... >>

I wasn't trying to take a dig orangebloods, I read it occasionally. Its entertaining because it reads like a sports gossip. At the same time, I don't treat the information there with the same level of credibility that I would if it showed up on a "legit" site. Oftentimes the stories lack credible or any sources, so you have to take their claims with a grain of salt. Here's the orangebloods story below and my thoughts in parenthesis to demonstrate how much of their articles leaves a reader (or maybe just me) unable to determine if the data is legit or totally made up.

"According to sources, Colorado will also opt out of the Big 12 and accept an invitation to the Pac-10. [Really? Which sources would those be?] A legislative source [Again, which legislative source would that be?] with knowledge of Texas A&M said officials from A&M and Texas will meet on Thursday to discuss all the goings on and to make sure they are on the same page if the Big 12 falls apart. According to sources [WHO?] , A&M and Oklahoma both have had conversations with the SEC. A&M's conversations with the SEC may have been to appease A&M regent Gene Stallings, who won a national title as coach at Alabama and would love to see the Aggies in the SEC. But Orangebloods.com has learned [And who did you learn this from?] Gov. Rick Perry, a diehard Aggie, will work to make sure Texas and Texas A&M stay together. Other sources [Which other sources?] have said that Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will do whatever Texas and A&M are doing. A source [Who?] said Texas and Texas A&M remained steadfast in lobbying for the Big 12 to stay together until Nebraska's decision to leave became evident. Sources [Which source?] said the six Big 12 schools would begin participating in the expanded Pac-10 beginning in 2012. That should make for an incredibly uncomfortable next two football and basketball seasons with the schools who could be left behind.

• Options

<< <i>If TX and/or OK went to the PAC 10 and spurned an SEC offer to do so, they would clearly be making a poor economic decision. >>

I haven't followed this issue, and as such I can't speak intelligently about it. However, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the athletic directors and the boards of regents at these two schools have done more research into this issue, and have a better understanding of the ramifications associated with joining any particular conference, than either your or I. And I do know enough about college sports to know that if all other factors are equal, and one option pays 'x' while the other pays 'x+1', then there isn't a school in the world that wouldn't take 'x+1'.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If TX and/or OK went to the PAC 10 and spurned an SEC offer to do so, they would clearly be making a poor economic decision. >>

I haven't followed this issue, and as such I can't speak intelligently about it. However, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the athletic directors and the boards of regents at these two schools have done more research into this issue, and have a better understanding of the ramifications associated with joining any particular conference, than either your or I. And I do know enough about college sports to know that if all other factors are equal, and one option pays 'x' while the other pays 'x+1', then there isn't a school in the world that wouldn't take 'x+1'. >>

Well I'm glad that you at least agree that college presidents and AD's will act in a way that is based on economic incentives. In May of this year, the SEC split $207 million among its 12 member schools. All of this data is public. The only conference that distributes more to its schools is the Big 10, which is in a great position with the Big 10 Network. The PAC 10 is far, far, far behind the SEC and Big 10 in terms of generating revenue from their football product. The Big 12 was also behind the Big 10 and the SEC. ESPN and the other television networks have already decided that the SEC and the Big 10 are the best football products and best football markets to use time on their stations. The dollars have already spoken on this issue. Nebraska has acted rationally and I expect Missouri will as well. Great choices for both schools to move to the Big 10. As for the other 6 Big 12 schools, I'll leave it up to them to explain the rationale for a potential move to the PAC 10. Its not obvious whatever it is. I also expect that the SEC will extend invitations to a subset of those 6 big 12 schools and that those invitations will have clear economic benefits over anything the PAC 10 could offer.

• Options
    Though I am a Pac-10 guy I have to agree with the above that a move to the SEC would make much more financial sense than a move to the Pac-10 for the Big 12 schools. People out west, by and large, just don't care as much about their schools/teams as other parts of the country. Every school has a fan base but we don't have a huge number of secondary fans that watch games like they do in the mid-west and the south. If you don't have as many eyes watching the TV it just doesn't seem that the dollars will be there. Having said that, there are a ton of people out west so maybe the sheer numbers still make it potentially attractive. I don't know. It does seem odd that the SEC hasn't been mentioned. If they got Texas and Texas AM for example... WOW!

Shifting gears I have read Texas, AM, Tech, OK, Colo and OK State will get the Pac 10 invite. Personally I would rather have Kansas or even Kansas State than Texas Tech. I don't think Tech has the sports history that the other schools have. Doesn't fit quite as well. How great would Kansas v. UCLA in a battle for first place in the Pac-16 (or whatever it's called) hoops!?
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    All the conferences are starting their own networks like the Big 10. The network has allowed more money to flow into the Big 10 schools. The Big 12 not having a network has killed them.

The Pac 10 will have their network up and running this year I believe.

It would to me make more sense for college football to have the Big 12 and SEC merge but thats just in football.

I think the Pac 10 has thought about this whole thing alot more than other conferences and now has the power once the first shoe (Nebraska) falls.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Pac 10 Officially announced today Colorado will be in the Pac 10.

• Options

<< <i>

As for the other 6 Big 12 schools, I'll leave it up to them to explain the rationale for a potential move to the PAC 10. Its not obvious whatever it is. >>

I agree that it isn't immediately obvious. But there must be more to the story than we're being told if the Pac-10 is seriously in contention for these schools.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Let the scrum begin!!

I predict this will be an awesome display of back stabbing, veiled threats and underhanded moves the like we have never seen before.

Bravo to the BCS for turning football ADs and their conferences into the WWE.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496

<< <i>Pac 10 Officially announced today Colorado will be in the Pac 10. >>

Does this really excite anyone?

Their football team is not very good. Their basketball team is not very good. Their volleyball team is not good. They do not have a baseball team (arguably the pac 10's best sport). They do not have a softball team (the pac 10's best womens sport). They do not have good facilities. They do not have amazing fan support. They have good academics but we are talking a college athletics conference here.
  • Options

<< <i>I wasn't trying to take a dig orangebloods, I read it occasionally. Its entertaining because it reads like a sports gossip. At the same time, I don't treat the information there with the same level of credibility that I would if it showed up on a "legit" site. Oftentimes the stories lack credible or any sources, so you have to take their claims with a grain of salt. Here's the orangebloods story below and my thoughts in parenthesis to demonstrate how much of their articles leaves a reader (or maybe just me) unable to determine if the data is legit or totally made up. >>

You completely discounted orangeblood by stating "not really a site where all the comments are carefully verified before being posted". If you don't think it's credible, that's fine and your opinion. However, to base it upon what you deem to have credible sources and/or information is hypocritical. I could use your example for ANY news source (ie nbccbsabcmsnbccnnfoxespntheocho) that base their reporting on unnamed sources.

Don't confuse PFT with orangebloods. One has real reporters while the other bases their hit counts on twitter, 3rd party reports, and pure speculation.
  • Options
    The problem with the Texas and TAMU to the SEC argument is academics, among many others. Texas and TAMU are part of the prestigious Association of American Universities; all the SEC schools except Vanderbilt are not. That matters to the academic administrators who are making these decisions. That's why the only logical homes for Texas and TAMU are the Pac 10, Big 10, or to remain in a revamped Big 12 conference. That said, TAMU "might" consider moving to the SEC; there are other factors at play that might make it work. But Texas isn't going there, period.
    Ron Burgundy

• Options

<< <i>

I was just curious if anyone knew what the "sources" at orangebloods thought about the Big 12 surviving? Since the "sources" from Texas and Texas A&M evidently "leaked" to orangebloods that "if Nebraska leaves, the Big 12 can't be saved." Now, I'm sure there were people at both schools that were afraid the Big12 conference might implode. However, I doubt those people were the actual decision makers. The decision makers likely diligently went about their business, collected the facts, negotiated with the parties involved, and then made their decisions over the past few days. But those people aren't who orangebloods were talking to. Actually, we have no idea who the bloggers were talking to because they all of their rumors are from nameless sources. This is exactly why I discount stories that are born from blogs like this. There is still a difference between real journalism and the stuff that gets cranked out of random webpages. Its fun to speculate about all the scenarios that could have played out, but to write stories implying that they knew what was going to happen and by implying that they were getting their data from credible sources... In my opinion, its irresponsible.

• Options

<< <i>Its fun to speculate about all the scenarios that could have played out, but to write stories implying that they knew what was going to happen and by implying that they were getting their data from credible sources. >>

They also posted, 2 days before the MSM, that Bebee was making a last ditch effort to save the league. At the time, orangebloods' reporting, from credible sources, was spot on. If it wasn't for the TV deal, Big 12 was doomed. Believe it or not, they came |this| close to disbanding.

UT wasn't bluffing, got what they wanted, and that's that.
  • Options
    Tom Izzo will be the next coach of the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Apparently Izzo is not going to be the next Cav's coach unless Tom Izzo has a UT like change of heart.
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options

<< <i>The decision makers likely diligently went about their business, collected the facts, negotiated with the parties involved, and then made their decisions over the past few days. But those people aren't who orangebloods were talking to. >>

Yeah, you're probably right. Orangebloods is nothing more than a bunch of hacks who couldn't even pay to be real journalists and had to settle for a 4th rate blog.

Or maybe, just maybe, they ARE legit.

Oh, what do you know, guess they are.

Link via CNBC

Conference Realignment Puts Orangebloods.com On The map
    Published: Wednesday, 16 Jun 2010 | 9:55 AM ET Text Size By: Darren Rovell
    CNBC Sports Business Reporter
    Since June 3, Chip Brown says he has lost 12 pounds, hasn't eaten much and didn't spend much time on a pillow either. But the former Dallas Morning News reporter has a lot to show for it.

Starting with his initial story that day that was the first to detail a possible move by six Big XII schools to the Pac-10, Brown has broken nearly every part of the college realignment story that resulted in a new 10-team Big XII with Colorado leaving for the Pac-10 and Nebraska going to the Big Ten.

In the process, he put the Rivals site Orangebloods.com — not known outside of Texas circles — on the map.

It's quite possible that there's never been a story like this, with so many tentacles, that was so dominated by someone outside the mainstream media. Despite all its sources, ESPN was forced to cite Orangebloods.com until the very end, which included a brief time when the Worldwide Leader reported that the Big XII teams, including Texas, would in fact go to the Pac-10. Orangebloods.com reported that was not the case and turned out to be right.

It remains to be seen how much of a business boost the Rivals site, which Brown partially owns, will receive from the constant publicity. Brown, who hosts a radio show on an ESPN radio affiliate in Austin, said he has done 60 radio interviews as well as making numerous TV appearances, including on ESPN.

In order to give themselves the best chance to capitalize off the site's success, Brown and publisher Geoff Ketchum made every one of the stories on the normally pay-per-click site free and offered free subscriptions to anyone who wanted to sample Orangebloods.com for the summer. Brown says that resulted in about 700 new subscriptions that put their subscriber base at 10,700, surpassing Alabama's Rivals site as the top site on the Yahoo network of the heavily populated message board sites.

Brown says he hopes that at least 50 percent remain members of the site for $10 a month and he now hopes that Texas football fans know of the site, that was created 10 years ago.

"There are 100,000 people in Darrell K. Royal Stadium and only 10,000 people know who we are," Brown said. "We're hoping that the 100,000 fans that pack the place on Saturday now know of Orangebloods.com and understand that for 30 cents a day they can get better coverage than what they get in the newspaper."

Subscriptions are not the only revenue stream for the site. Brown and Ketchum are launching an aggressive advertising business that aims to get as many Austin-based businesses on board to advertise on the site for as little as $2,500. "We've proved we're the place where Texas fans come to get their football news," Brown said. "So why wouldn't people want to be affiliated with us?"

Brown says he's never quite been involved in a story like this and that includes the Branch Davidian standoff he covered for the Associated Press in 1993. He frequently left his radio show unannounced when he was being called back by sources. "If you walked away from this story for an hour, you could fall behind," Brown said.

But fall behind Brown never did. His updates were so coveted that he saw a huge rise of his following on Twitter. On June 3, the day he broke the first story, he had roughly 1,800 followers. Twelve days later, Brown's Twitter handle (@ChipBrownOB) is followed by more than 12,000 people, an increase of 570 percent.

One of the reasons why Orangebloods.com could own the story the way it did was because of Brown's background. He wasn't just some blogger who had a couple names in his rolodex. After spending 17 years covering football for the University of Texas, including 10 for the Dallas Morning News, he left for the Rivals site before the 2008 football season after sensing that the decline of the newspaper world would force him to cover something other than Texas football. He received a salary and a portion of the site's revenues.

Even though his name was well known, the stigma of not being with a traditional media outlet stung him. Texas wouldn't fully credential him until he did a Rivals Big XII blog and he still doesn't get a season pass to Texas basketball games. We're assuming that will change.

Brown is proud of his work on this story. "I hope this is a message to the message board sites that they have to be accurate and to be good over time," Brown said. "Newspapers are in trouble and this where the next generation of readers are getting their news from."

As time went on, Brown, who had seen very little of his family throughout the last two weeks, was able to get a laugh near the end. His two-year-old daughter Maggie, who recently underwent open heart surgery, said to him, "Daddy, did you break another story?" He told her he did.

Brown's reporting ultimately chronicled the fact that the Big XII would allow Texas to have its own network while sharing in the conference TV pie. So will Texas starting its own TV network further lock out reporters like Brown from getting the meaty details on the program?

Said Brown: "We think we can be even more valuable. We have a lot of sources within the program."

And at this point, I don't think anyone is going to doubt that.

Update: Some critics wrote in saying Brown's call that "the Big XII is dead," which he repeated on ESPN last week turned out to be an erroneous report. Brown says that's not the case and he stands by his reporting. "At the time it was right," Brown said. "Texas called a meeting and the coaches were informed that with Nebraska"s move to the Big Ten, Texas would be going to the Pac-10."

Questions? Comments? SportsBiz@cnbc.com

© 2010 CNBC, Inc. All Rights Reserved
  • Options
    That's very interesting.
  • Options
    As I said before, mcadams was mistaking orangebloods with PFT.

One gets their information from inside sources and are real journalists, while the other gets theirs from Twitter, 4th hand accounts, and piggy packs other people's hard work just to generate website hits.

You be the judge.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I was just curious if anyone knew what the "sources" at orangebloods thought about the Big 12 surviving? Since the "sources" from Texas and Texas A&M evidently "leaked" to orangebloods that "if Nebraska leaves, the Big 12 can't be saved." Now, I'm sure there were people at both schools that were afraid the Big12 conference might implode. However, I doubt those people were the actual decision makers. The decision makers likely diligently went about their business, collected the facts, negotiated with the parties involved, and then made their decisions over the past few days. But those people aren't who orangebloods were talking to. Actually, we have no idea who the bloggers were talking to because they all of their rumors are from nameless sources. This is exactly why I discount stories that are born from blogs like this. There is still a difference between real journalism and the stuff that gets cranked out of random webpages. Its fun to speculate about all the scenarios that could have played out, but to write stories implying that they knew what was going to happen and by implying that they were getting their data from credible sources... In my opinion, its irresponsible. >>

You resurrected this thread to say what again?

• Options
    So mcadams resurrects this thread for an "I told you so" attempt, only for it to blow up in his face, and now avoids it like the plague.

Nice try and better luck next time.

• Options

<< <i>So mcadams resurrects this thread for an "I told you so" attempt, only for it to blow up in his face, and now avoids it like the plague.

image >>

Hey moron, why don't you go back and look at my first few posts on this thread. My point was that Texas and Oklahoma wouldn't join the PAC 10. Thats exactly what happened, despite the BS claims from your blog.

• Options
    "Anyone who thinks Texas would really go to the PAC 10 is smoking crack. The Big 12 members would all be better off if left intact, rather than going to the PAC 10. There is little incentive for any single Big 12 member to leave for the PAC 10. If Missouri and Nebraska go to the big 10, then either the Big 12 will replace them with other schools, or the best teams from the Big 12 will go to the SEC leaving a shell of a conference in the southwest. I don't see the PAC 10 being big players in realignment at all, primarily because they have very little to offer, and far less to offer than either Big 10 or SEC." <<<-------

I've reposted my first comment on this thread for Mr. Short-Memory. Guess I should start a blog call "The Truth about Texas" since the other blogs didn't get it right.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So mcadams resurrects this thread for an "I told you so" attempt, only for it to blow up in his face, and now avoids it like the plague.

image >>

Hey moron, why don't you go back and look at my first few posts on this thread. My point was that Texas and Oklahoma wouldn't join the PAC 10. Thats exactly what happened, despite the BS claims from your blog. >>

I'm the moron for stating facts? You pat yourself on the back because the results ended up the way you predicted, even thought your assumptions on the process were completely off? And you claimed, several times, that orangebloods was nothing more than a gossip rag with uncredible sources?

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

It's obvious why you avoided this thread, even though you resurrected it, because, again, you were wrong. I bet it just made you cringe to know ESPN actually gave credit to orangebloods as a source. Ha-ha!

I'm going to play a card from this accurate forecaster:

When the NFL CBA comes up, there will be negotiations. ESPN will be a 100% credible source of information and anyone else is nothing but gossip. Eventually, both sides will agree and the NFL will go on.

And that's exactly what will happen.

• Options
    Okay, if you insist.

<< <i>"Anyone who thinks Texas would really go to the PAC 10 is smoking crack. >>

So I guess the AD, board of regents, and all of the coaches who were planning to join the PAC 10 had their pipes out.

<< <i>The Big 12 members would all be better off if left intact, rather than going to the PAC 10. There is little incentive for any single Big 12 member to leave for the PAC 10. >>

Guess you knew/know better than NEB and CO? Wow, you really should leave your day job and run colleges.

<< <i>If Missouri and Nebraska go to the big 10, then either the Big 12 will replace them with other schools, or the best teams from the Big 12 will go to the SEC leaving a shell of a conference in the southwest. I don't see the PAC 10 being big players in realignment at all, primarily because they have very little to offer, and far less to offer than either Big 10 or SEC." >>

So even though you bravely predicted that no one would leave the Big 12 (they would, afterall, be smoking crack); you have no problem with several back up plans, just in case. Bravo!

<< <i>I've reposted my first comment on this thread for Mr. Short-Memory. Guess I should start a blog call "The Truth about Texas" since the other blogs didn't get it right. >>

Uh... What?
This discussion has been closed.