Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Czech gold coin question... updated with photo's

I have a 1932 Czeck 1 Dukat gold coin with Dr Miroslav Tyrs on the obverse. My question, how much gold is in this coin and what is the mintage?

Thanks in advanceimage
A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.
Yogi Berra

Comments

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I don't know the answer to your question but usually a ducat refers to a specific weight of gold, and if it is a true ducat it will weigh in at 3.5 grams. Do you have a picture?

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Thank you for all that responded, the dukat has about a 1/4 oz of gold. I sent the coin into PCGS for grading so I thought I would share. I also found out that it has a low mintage of about 1,700.
    Yogi Berra

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A decent example and I think these may be just a tad harder to get than most folks think

congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Thanks coinkat
    Yogi Berra

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just for a brief moment, let's take this in a different direction-

What is the surviving population?

That will speak volumes as to real value and rarity

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>Just for a brief moment, let's take this in a different direction-

What is the surviving population?

That will speak volumes as to real value and rarity >>

I would guess 500 or less. Czechoslovakia's history after 1932 like much of Europe was violent and I can imagine that many of the coins were lost or melted down. PCGS pop report lists 2 including mine, I don't have access to NGC pop's but in the last 10 years 4 or 5 have been auctioned off in NGC holders. I've owned this coin for nearly 35 years and during that time I maybe saw 20 for sale on ebay or auctions. I purchased this coin back in the days when I was buying and selling gold and silver and I wish I would of asked the owner more questions about the history of this coin.

Eric
    Yogi Berra

• Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Really nice piece... first I've seen
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    Thanks secondrepublic, I enjoyed your website. The zlotych with woman's head is a beautiful design.
    Yogi Berra

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    A ducat is supposed to contain .1106 oz AGW.

This is a medallic issue, not a circulating coin, commemorating the Tyrs-Sokol movement.

It's been recatalogued in the Unusual World Coins book as X#M12 with a foot note indicating "Previously KM#M10" $450 catalogue value in UNC.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    Thanks CIVITAS no wonder I couldn't find it in the normal World Coin Krause.
    Yogi Berra