Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Best Single Coin Dug Ever?

cameron12xcameron12x Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭
Does anyone know what the best single coin ever dug was?

Comments

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    No idea but I remember hearing of an elderly gentleman back East that was digging in the garden and found a chain cent.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    A 1792 Half Disme that was found not too long ago...

Also, wasn't the unique Blake Edwards $20 that featured a coin press design a dug coin?

Alas the prize would most likely go to some ancient dug up in Europe.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    If I remember right. It could be that old die trials around the original mint that stacks auctioned a few years ago.

http://www.coinlink.com/News/us-coins/newly-discovered-treasures-dug-up-in-philadelphia/
    If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>If I remember right. It could be that old die trials around the original mint that stacks auctioned a few years ago.

http://www.coinlink.com/News/us-coins/newly-discovered-treasures-dug-up-in-philadelphia/ >>

I was thinking the same thing - at least in terms of US coinage and related items.

I know that there are a couple people who have found, and are still uncovering original dies used by the US Mint.
    (Almost) all are cancelled, from what I understand, but they are still the dies and they are still VERY neat items!
  • Options
    Then there was this 1817/4 half dollar...
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    The Brasher Doubloon belonging to the ANS is said to have been discovered in a sewer. Does that count?
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know of a Blake and Co. Gold coin dug off of a beach in Monterey, CA.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A 1792 Half Disme that was found not too long ago...

Also, wasn't the unique Blake Edwards $20 that featured a coin press design a dug coin?

Alas the prize would most likely go to some ancient dug up in Europe. >>

Wasn't Blake Edwards the Director of the movie "10?"

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>Then there was this 1817/4 half dollar... >>

For those that don't know, I am starting pharmacy school in the fall. image
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about all the dies alongside the Carson City mint?

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>How about all the dies alongside the Carson City mint?

bob >>

Do you have a link to this story? Sounds intriguing...
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1817/4 Capped Bust half is the coin that immediately comes to my mind for this question.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Brasher Doubloon belonging to the ANS is said to have been discovered in a sewer. Does that count? >>

Did they use a metal detector???

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    someone asked for the link of the CC buried die story:

Link (scroll to almost the very bottom)

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

bob >>

Do you have a link to this story? Sounds intriguing... >>

Link to some info

Here's an obverse from a cancelled die struck in copper:
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One could reason that some of the $100+ million in Gold Rush shipwreck coins recovered from the S.S. Central America would qualify as "dug" from the ocean floor.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    coindeuce, you make a good case but it could be argued that is not a 'single coin' (although, taken individually, the Polhemus counterstamped double eagles from the SSCA brought strong money--- on went for $48k if i remember correctly)

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Interesting read! Thanks guys. The best one I can recall recently was one of the rare carson city quarters (1872 CC ?) that someone dug...then sold on ebay. I would have liked to have found that one!
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting read! Thanks guys. The best one I can recall recently was one of the rare carson city quarters (1872 CC ?) that someone dug...then sold on ebay. I would have liked to have found that one! >>

I was the owner albeit briefly of an 1872-CC quarter that was allegedly obtained from a dig near Reno, NV. and subsequently graded VF-30 by PCGS. I returned the coin to the seller. I strongly disagreed with the opinion of the grade assigned. Search the member ID purplecuda7373 in the archives, maybe images are still available.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

• Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Alas the prize would most likely go to some ancient dug up in Europe."

I have to lean towards "Artist`s previous statement...I vaguely remember a program me and the wife saw on tv one evening...Think it was in Italy and at a privately owned estate they were digging up many millions of dollars worth of ancient coins...Not one coin though but many...Not sure if anyone else saw the same program? I do clearly remember it was in a very green grass area almost like a short grass field...Sod perhaps?

AB image
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Alas the prize would most likely go to some ancient dug up in Europe."

I have to lean towards "Artist`s previous statement...I vaguely remember a program me and the wife saw on tv one evening...Think it was in Italy and at a privately owned estate they were digging up many millions of dollars worth of ancient coins...Not one coin though but many...Not sure if anyone else saw the same program? I do clearly remember it was in a very green grass area almost like a short grass field...Sod perhaps?

AB image
  • Options
    melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019

<< <i>Wasn't Blake Edwards the Director of the movie "10?"

image >>

More important, he was married to Bo Derek.
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw an 1874 CC Dime dug up in the desert outside of Barstow, CA.

It graded VF details, but was badly scratched by sand.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember that 1817/4 being dug up in upstate new york. That caused quite a stir.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I vaguely seem to recall a story about a Cincinnati Mining & Trading Co. gold piece that was dug somewhere.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have been many extremely rare and valuable ancient Greek and Roman coins that were dug up in Europe. Many were dug up while digging trenches for constructing buried sewer, water, communications, etc lines. Many were dug up during WWI during the era of trench warfare.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    >>I vaguely seem to recall a story about a Cincinnati Mining & Trading Co. gold piece that was dug somewhere>>

since there are not many of these specimens extant, i'm almost certain you are confusing a story that involved a widow finding said coin in her late husband's golf shoe (not making this up)

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned our own lordmarcovan's discovery of the "Ming thing" in NC. This piece could change North American history. See his thread in the metal detecting forum here in Collectors Universe.
    Paul
  • Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    I'd say 25 years ago using a whites medal detector (they probably have more info on it).

A Thomas Jefferson Indian peace medal dug up in oregon. Speculation it was from lewis and Clark expedition.

Krueger
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>>>I vaguely seem to recall a story about a Cincinnati Mining & Trading Co. gold piece that was dug somewhere>>

since there are not many of these specimens extant, i'm almost certain you are confusing a story that involved a widow finding said coin in her late husband's golf shoe (not making this up) >>

I thought the story was that some guys wife donated his "old golf shoes" to salvation army or some charity like that. When he found out he freaked because the coin was "cleverly" hidden inside. Luckily the coin was found again...

Cool story none-the-less.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Wasn't Blake Edwards the Director of the movie "10?"

image >>

More important, he was married to Bo Derek. >>

No, he was (and is) married to Julie Andrews.
  • Options
    >>I thought the story was that some guys wife donated his "old golf shoes" to salvation army or some charity like that. When he found out he freaked because the coin was "cleverly" hidden inside. Luckily the coin was found again...

Cool story none-the-less>>

i was going from memory, but i believe you are correct Mark........it was a neat story........wasnt it David mcCarthy that was contacted originally regarding the coin?

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    As a bust half nut, I can't imagine how cool it would have been to have dug up an 1817/14!
    zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • Options
    Any more amazing examples out there?

With photos?
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have been Chain cents and Massachusetts colonials and NE silvers dug.

The Coenwulf gold penny Mister E mentioned certainly would be way high up on the list, if not at the pinnacle.

This one might be MY personal best, in terms of monetary value, but then again maybe not. It doesn't come close to being my oldest or most interesting, but it is certainly in the Top Twelve list of my favorite digs. Prior to finding this, I had never owned an Oregon Trail half.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>This one might be MY personal best, in terms of monetary value, but then again maybe not. It doesn't come close to being my oldest or most interesting, but it is certainly in the Top Twelve list of my favorite digs. Prior to finding this, I had never owned an Oregon Trail half. >>

Where on God's Earth did you find THIS, if you don't mind me asking...
  • Options
    I would think the dug pine tree shillings and oak tree shiilings would be right up their with the best.
  • Options

<< <i>Where on God's Earth did you find THIS, if you don't mind me asking... >>

It was Halloween of 2006, if memory serves. We were visiting my wife's childhood best friend in Atlanta, and they went out to do "girl stuff" (i.e., shopping malls and stuff like that). Which was not high on my list of desired activities. So I'd had contact with a forum member who used to post here ("BlueCole", which turns out to be his real-life name, too- cool name, huh.)

Blue lived a bit south of Atlanta in a smaller town- I think it was called Sharpsburg? We'd never met before but I decided to take my wife's car, since she and her friend were in the friend's car, and toodle on down to Blue Cole's town for the day. He was a beginning detectorist and said he knew several likely spots in town- I think his grandparents had been prominent citizens of the place, decades earlier.

Anyway, he took me to this vacant lot that stood across from an old store. Said there had been an old house on the lot once, but it had burned down in the 1950s or thereabouts. We didn't find much- I didn't dig so much as a single Wheatie, oddly enough- and I had only one very corroded old aluminum "good for" token to show for my efforts.

Then I got a really hot, shallow-sounding signal on the detector, and my meter said it was a quarter at about two inches or so. I cut a plug in the sod and out rolled that thing. Sure enough, it was only about two and a half or three inches deep.

First thing I saw was a biggish coin with a silver reeded edge, and my pulse rate shot up. There was red clay clinging to the surfaces, but I could see some of the sun rays peeking out from beneath, and for a nanosecond I thought I'd found another Walker, which would have made my day (as I've only found two of those- and nowhere near this grade). Then when I realized what it was, I was literally breathless for a moment before I could call Blue over.

When I got the coin back to Atlanta and gently washed off the red clay, I could see it was an AU. There was a little scuff on the Indian's knee from having lain in the rocky soil, but it wasn't too bad. The red clay had stained it, so I did have to clean it with toothpaste.

That was a memorable day. It was lovely, weather-wise, neat to meet a forum member, and any day I dig silver is a good day.

A day when I find something like that is one for the books, as they say.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As Artist previously mentioned, the 1792 Half Disme that was dug up. Here's a link to the finder's story and also in the E-sylum.
    Jim

1792 Half Disme

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Where on God's Earth did you find THIS, if you don't mind me asking... >>

It was Halloween of 2006, if memory serves. We were visiting my wife's childhood best friend in Atlanta, and they went out to do "girl stuff" (i.e., shopping malls and stuff like that). Which was not high on my list of desired activities. So I'd had contact with a forum member who used to post here ("BlueCole", which turns out to be his real-life name, too- cool name, huh.)

Blue lived a bit south of Atlanta in a smaller town- I think it was called Sharpsburg? We'd never met before but I decided to take my wife's car, since she and her friend were in the friend's car, and toodle on down to Blue Cole's town for the day. He was a beginning detectorist and said he knew several likely spots in town- I think his grandparents had been prominent citizens of the place, decades earlier.

Anyway, he took me to this vacant lot that stood across from an old store. Said there had been an old house on the lot once, but it had burned down in the 1950s or thereabouts. We didn't find much- I didn't dig so much as a single Wheatie, oddly enough- and I had only one very corroded old aluminum "good for" token to show for my efforts.

Then I got a really hot, shallow-sounding signal on the detector, and my meter said it was a quarter at about two inches or so. I cut a plug in the sod and out rolled that thing. Sure enough, it was only about two and a half or three inches deep.

First thing I saw was a biggish coin with a silver reeded edge, and my pulse rate shot up. There was red clay clinging to the surfaces, but I could see some of the sun rays peeking out from beneath, and for a nanosecond I thought I'd found another Walker, which would have made my day (as I've only found two of those- and nowhere near this grade). Then when I realized what it was, I was literally breathless for a moment before I could call Blue over.

When I got the coin back to Atlanta and gently washed off the red clay, I could see it was an AU. There was a little scuff on the Indian's knee from having lain in the rocky soil, but it wasn't too bad. The red clay had stained it, so I did have to clean it with toothpaste.

That was a memorable day. It was lovely, weather-wise, neat to meet a forum member, and any day I dig silver is a good day.

A day when I find something like that is one for the books, as they say. >>

Wow, what a wonderful day that must have been! It doesn't get much better than that!

But I'm curious, though... instead of heading south from Atlanta why didn't you head a short distance NE, to a little town which starts with the letter "D"? image
  • Options

<< <i>I'm curious, though... instead of heading south from Atlanta why didn't you head a short distance NE, to a little town which starts with the letter "D"? >>

Actually we did go there, on a different trip to N GA, but I never dug around there. Getting permission would be difficult in most likely places. Saw the Mint museum there, though.

<< <i>I'm surprised that no one has mentioned our own lordmarcovan's discovery of the "Ming thing" in NC. This piece could change North American history. See his thread in the metal detecting forum here in Collectors Universe. >>

Aw shucks- but... well, that wasn't really a coin.

This one still ranks as one of my favorite coin finds, sentimentally speaking.

• Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    The thrill of the find was good, the coins themselves had little pull on me. I actually gave them away, but it was just common stuff. I've held a few examples of dug items that really did grab my fancy. . An acquaintance had just received his allotment of dug items from this farmers field place he goes to across the pond every year that requires all finds be submitted to the owner and authorities. I don't know the fine details, I was in awe of the little gold pieces they had found, coins, rings, trinkets. Of course he knew about each ones history and known pieces. Some were B.C., some little after. Plow strikes were new concept to me also and there were a few examples. Guess it's common there. All in all a neat aspect of the hobby that requires much more hands on travel and outdoors adventure that I could do.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an 1872-CC $20 Liberty Gold Obverse Die
    that was found in the Washoe Country trash dump.

Washoe Country is where Carson City is located.

The Die is in much better shape that the vast
    majority of CC Dies that were found under the
    Carson City Mint - it has a "C" punched in the side
    of the die....

It's also the only known Type 2 Obverse $20 Die.

It'll be in my case at the Fun show in two months....
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe this Coenwulf "Gold Penny"? >>

This one has my vote....Great article.

Tom

• Options
    I should have broken this question into two separate topics or threads:

Best Single Coin Dug (US Coins)
    Best Single Coin Dug Ever (Worldwide)

I'd personally be happy finding some wheat pennies or silver coinage. image
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was heavily into metal detecting for almost 10 years and have personally witnessed several great coins being dug. Here are a few that I remember.

1878 S Half Dollar
    1882 CC $5 gold piece.
    1876 P 20 cent piece.
    1913 S Barber Quarter.

My personal best dug coin (numismatically) was an 1878 S Quarter.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Well, my granddad 'dug' this one in 1925. Betcha didn't know they had metal detectors in 1925?

The 'detector' was the business end of a horse-drawn plow.....I ID'd the coin using a Redbook in 1964. image

He uncovered it in the Piedmont area of S. Carolina....which reminds me I should asked dad exactly where that was and head back with a detector which isn't quite as much work.

Oh yeah, here's the coin down below (images courtesy of MG).

• Options
    Mac - in my opinion, you win this poll by a runaway margin.

Edited to add - oops! - thought this was a Strawberry Leaf.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

bob >>

Do you have a link to this story? Sounds intriguing... >>

Link to some info

Here's an obverse from a cancelled die struck in copper:
    image >>

That is so COOL!!
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file