Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Pro Football Player Registry Sets Project

Just before the set registry deadline, I got the email (as most of you did) to get your cards registered before 5 pm on May 28th. I had a lot of individual player cards that I was planning to get around to putting in player sets, but never did. So, this gave me a great excuse. As it turns out, I had three complete player sets that I was able to register. What I was surprised to see though, was how many of my HOFers had no player set to go home to. And these aren't nobody players. These were guys like Raymond Berry, Elroy Hirsch, Gino Marchetti, Ken Houston, Sam Huff and dozens more. So, I am on a mission. Over the next few weeks I am going to try and get a request out there for every vintage football HOFer that doesn't have a set and could reasonably have one. I don't have a lot of 30's cards, so I can't get those guys up and running, but I've got a lot from the late 40's to the 80's. I've so far requested sets for Doug Atkins, Lem Barney, Elvin Bethea, Willie Brown, Ken Houston, Jimmy Johnson(49ers), Willie Lanier, Tom Mack, Leo Nomellini, Mel Renfro, Charley Trippi, Dave Wilcox, and Larry Wilson. I'll try and knock out a few every week until I complete the project. I won't be able to do modern guys like Derrick Thomas and Gary Zimmerman because I just don't have the cards. But hopefully I can complete this over the next month or so and those of you that are sitting around with a bunch of Bobby Mitchells and Tommy McDonalds will have player sets to enter them. Of course, anyone that wants to jump in and help would be more than welcome. I'm looking forward to seeing all of the very best in NFL/AFL/AAFC history being represented with player sets in the very near future.

Sam
Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.

Comments

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    It's all too true. We've talked about this on the board before. Someone had a really brilliant idea, namely that anyone who makes the Hall of Fame should automatically have a player set registered.

I had to put the Charley Taylor set in myself and I had intended at one time to request the Ken Houston one but I was short of the 5 required cards and my focus has since shifted away from Football. Nevertheless, I'm glad a request for Kenny is in the queue and I'll be there with my cards when the set goes live.
  • Options
    Absolutely !!!! However the player sets have the longest wait. I put the Nick Buoniconti , Jim Langer and Larry Little sets in all together and it took almost 2 years till their turn came up. I want to do Yepremian and Kuechenberg. Good luck and I hope you are around to enjoy them.

Paul
    Any team on any given Sunday, can beat any other team...unless they were playing the Miami Dolphins in 1972.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I figure it will take a while. Requests that I made last May are looking like they will pop up in the next week or so. So I am figuring this will be a year or more. Maybe it won't be, but I am preparing for that. But if they don't get requested now, then the year starts a year from now... or later.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    OK - the project continues... now add Raymond Berry, Bob Brown, Harry Carson, Jack Christiansen, Lou Creekmur, Willie Davis, Fred Dean, Bill Dudley, Carl Eller, Bill George, Elroy Hirsch, Sam Huff, Stan Jones, Yale Lary, Dick LeBeau, Doak Walker, and Bob Waterfield to the list of requested player sets.
  • Options
    OK - I've gone as far as I can go. I've requested Floyd Little, John Mackey, Gino Marchetti, Ollie Matson, Mike McCormack, Tommy McDonald, Bobby Mitchell, Andy Robustelli, Bob St Clair, Charlie Sanders, Billy Shaw, Jackie Smith, Clyde 'Bulldog' Turner, and Rayfield Wright. There are other Pro Football Hall of Famers out there, but they are either a) Players that played the bulk of their careers before 1948 so they don't appear on the five cards required to get the player sets (or I don't have five of them) b) Players that just don't appear on the minimum amount of cards (Len Ford, Bill Willis, etc...) c) Players that were inducted into the Hall based upon their coaching/executive career and not their playing (Tom Landry, Jim Finks, etc...) d) Players that played the bulk of their careers in the 80's to present (which I don't have enough of to make the requests). These players are Darrell Green, Russ Grimm, Dan Hampton, Bruce Matthews, Art Monk, Mike Munchak, Anthony Munoz, John Randle, Jackie Slater, Bruce Smith, Dwight Stephenson, Derrick Thomas, Thurman Thomas, Andre Tippett, and Gary Zimmerman. If someone has the interest to go out and get these sets going, that would complete the Hall Players sets as best as I can tell.

Sam
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    My Roger Wehrli request is slowly climbing the ladder. Right ahead of Jim Bouton. I figure if Pepe Frias can have a registry a HOFer should as well.

I am updating this note. It seems I am making serious progress. Within 25 from the top. When Mookie Wilson gets a set Roger Wehrli will be very close.
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to that one too. I've got a few Wehrli's (although nowhere near all of them). Always a class guy and as smart a defensive back as there ever was.
  • Options
    Art Monk is in the line.

I had been considering requesting him anyway.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>OK - I've gone as far as I can go. I've requested Floyd Little, John Mackey, Gino Marchetti, Ollie Matson, Mike McCormack, Tommy McDonald, Bobby Mitchell, Andy Robustelli, Bob St Clair, Charlie Sanders, Billy Shaw, Jackie Smith, Clyde 'Bulldog' Turner, and Rayfield Wright. There are other Pro Football Hall of Famers out there, but they are either a) Players that played the bulk of their careers before 1948 so they don't appear on the five cards required to get the player sets (or I don't have five of them) b) Players that just don't appear on the minimum amount of cards (Len Ford, Bill Willis, etc...) c) Players that were inducted into the Hall based upon their coaching/executive career and not their playing (Tom Landry, Jim Finks, etc...) d) Players that played the bulk of their careers in the 80's to present (which I don't have enough of to make the requests). These players are Darrell Green, Russ Grimm, Dan Hampton, Bruce Matthews, Art Monk, Mike Munchak, Anthony Munoz, John Randle, Jackie Slater, Bruce Smith, Dwight Stephenson, Derrick Thomas, Thurman Thomas, Andre Tippett, and Gary Zimmerman. If someone has the interest to go out and get these sets going, that would complete the Hall Players sets as best as I can tell.

Sam >>

Thanks for your efforts Sam.

I collect about half of the above players listed above. When their player sets hit the registry I will be posting my cards on those sets.

Thanks again for everyone's HOF/star Football players requests. I'm too lazy to do them myself and I appreciate all of your efforts making them happen.

• Options
    Getting close to seeing some more pop up. Currently Mike Haynes (13th), Roger Wehrli (14th), Rickey Jackson (16th) and Steve Van Buren (17th) look like the only HOFers from football that will be getting started anytime soon. I requested the Jackson on September 24th and the Van Buren on September 27th of 2009, so I think a year is about the wait to expect in general. PSA was moving pretty quickly on player sets for awhile, but lately there have been a deluge of team sets, team Halls of Fame, and various whatever that have meant that only five player sets have gone online in July, and none of those have been football. Actually, it has been since June 17th when the Joe Delamielleure and Art Shell sets went up since a football player set has made it. One other thing: I've seen a lot of "official" threads that have regular posts. Any interest in an "official" football player set thread in which we can talk about these things and also post some of the new cards we've added (not just the rookies, but the regular cards as well)?
  • Options
    PowderedH2O's burst of set requests is getting closer to the top of the queue. Shouldn't be too long, now.
  • Options
    I am guessing a lot of them will pop up before the end of the year. Kudos to PSA! They have really been busting their tails on player sets this year. Looking forward to jumping in with a couple of complete sets, and then spending the next 5-10 years finishing up the other ones.
  • Options
    The floodgates are now open. Today, the Dave Wilcox and Leo Nomellini sets went online. These were the first two of the many that I requested a few months ago. PSA actually got them up in less than six months, which is faster than expected. I am looking forward to seeing sets for all almost of the HOFers very soon.
  • Options
    Hard to believe, since I just started this project in June, but almost all of the sets are now online. The PSA folks have been kicking butt!!! Also good to see that a number of you have jumped in on the sets. Only seven months, and believe me, there was no shortage of requests... I sent in a ton of them! But realistically, sometime in the next couple of weeks, there will be no vintage football HOFers without registry sets except for those that don't have the minimum quantity of cards. Thanks for the good work PSA folks!!!

Sam
  • Options
    After a long period of time in which the wait was nearly a year, I saw a break in PSA's set request list. So, I jumped in with a few non-HOF players that were big stars (and some of which might still find their way into the HOF via the Senior Committee). So, going in this week/next week will be player sets of Eddie Meador, Isiah Robertson, Erich Barnes, Maddog Mike Curtis, Dick Bass, Don Meredith and Daryle Lamonica. I could not believe there was not a Meredith or Lamonica set. I'll be at about 50% on these, so I fully expect you Cowboys and Raider fans to drop me like a rock! But that's ok. And we really should see more participants in these sets. Let's keep the great player sets going!!!
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    nice work, I opened a bunch of the sets but then realized I don't collect all of their cards so I stopped all but the Packer sets. Once I get the itch to collect my favorite players that are not Packers I will be all over this.
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Question: When you request sets do you do the research for the proposed set composition? Back in the day, I believe we used to submit our set requests with an Excel spreadsheet of the set composition and preliminary weightings (if weighted) and that usually helped speed up the process. Is that not the way it works anymore?
  • Options
    I've done it both ways. In this case, I merely requested the sets. Now, you do have to have at least five cards of that set to request it, but they do the legwork most of the time.