Home Precious Metals

Asian gold jewelry - is it 22k or 24K or what

tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
A friend of mine who is asian has some jewelry he wants to sell me. He tells me it is pure gold 24 K. Marking look to me like 995. 24K?

Comments

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of it is crap. Some of it is crap heavily plated with pure gold. Some of it is 22k, some 23k, and a very small amount is 24k.

Only way to know for sure is to test it.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Some of it is crap. Some of it is crap heavily plated with pure gold. Some of it is 22k, some 23k, and a very small amount is 24k.

Only way to know for sure is to test it. >>

///////////////////

Yup.

Tho lots of good 22k stuff is definitely out there.

If I did not know the seller, I would not buy high-k stuff
    unless I could cut it.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Confucious say:

Always buy your gold in convient little bars. Never jewelry.
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice. I will see about getting it tested then. It is only 2 chains but they weigh in at 70+ grams
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Confucious say:

>>

That would not work with my wife. She pulls so much stuff from the local dealers pot that I think if we melted it down she would have more than me
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A friend of mine who is asian has some jewelry he wants to sell me. He tells me it is pure gold 24 K. Marking look to me like 995. 24K? >>

Most of it is very close to 24kt. .995 (99-1/2%) is very plausible.

Do a heft test in your hand. Pure gold FEELS dense.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    test it to be sure, make sure you make a decent cut to ensure you are not dealing with heavy plating or portions of the piece being gold (i.e. clasps, etc)

much of the 22kt originates from India.......
    much of the 24kt originates from Hong Kong......
  • Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Confucious say:

>>

That would not work with my wife. She pulls so much stuff from the local dealers pot that I think if we melted it down she would have more than me >>

That made me laugh. Even though I myself only buy metals for me in nice bar or coin form, I feel like a scum if I don't bring something home for the missus. I am lucky though: She likes silver better than gold. Though I have bought her a few AMAZING platinum pieces for spot that she (and I) love for the workmanship more than the metal.