just wanted to share.

mathew
baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
NHL hall of fame rookies

Comments

• Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    7.5 is my over/under guess on the Vegas line for strikeouts. Against the Pirates, I'd take the over.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has any rookie thrown a no-hitter in his first start? What was the earliest recorded no-hitter after a pitcher's MLB debut?

Don't remember this much hype in at least last decade.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    poor pirates

he seems to be rolling in AAA and they may not be as good as the teams he's facing now
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't follow MLB that much - I thought he was already in the Hall of Fame?
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has any rookie thrown a no-hitter in his first start? What was the earliest recorded no-hitter after a pitcher's MLB debut?

Don't remember this much hype in at least last decade. >>

Text
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has any rookie thrown a no-hitter in his first start? What was the earliest recorded no-hitter after a pitcher's MLB debut?

Clay Buchholz threw a no-hitter in his second major league start on September 1, 2007. His first start was on August 17, 2007, but he was sent back down right after the game. He was going to be sent back down regardless of what the outcome of that game would be. In fact, Terry Francona said (of his first start) "This kid can come up and pitch a no-hitter, and he's going to go back down... If he throws a no-hitter I may send him back with a present. But he's going back."

Buchholz was only the third pitcher to throw a no-hitter in his first or second major league start. Bobo Holloman did it in his first start on May 6, 1953, for the St. Louis Browns at home against the Philadelphia Athletics, and Wilson Alvarez did it in his second start on Aug. 11, 1991, for the Chicago White Sox at Baltimore.

EDIT: According to the link on the previous post, there were two others who had an MLB debut no-no.

(thanks Wikipedia)

This Strasburg hype is unreal... I think it might effect his pitching once he reaches the majors. His college coach (HOFer, Tony Gwynn) even said his mental game still needs some work. I've watched many a Youtube video about this guy, and his stuff is INSANE. I'm pulling for him. He IS hittable though. He was knocked around in his latest minor league start. He lost the game with 5IP, 3ER, 6H, 2BB and 6K. Still, I would hate to stand in the batter's box against this guy.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    The Nationals are also playing in the tightest division in baseball, and even though they are in last place, they are still only 3.5 back from Atlanta. Lets say Strasburg comes up and dominates for a few months, thus propelling the Nats further toward the NL East title. Is it conceivable that the Nats become "buyers" before the trade deadline?

-Michael
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If history is any guide, hype over hitters is sometimes justified, wherby hype over pitchers is almost always not justified.
  • Options

Won't happen since Washington will take him out after 6 innings even if he has a no-hitter going.
  • Options

<< <i>

Won't happen since Washington will take him out after 6 innings even if he has a no-hitter going. >>

Or earlier. I bet they have him on a pitch count, irrespective of innings.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options
    He is scheduled to get pulled after the 6th inning or 95 pitches - which ever comes first. Since that info is public, any chance the Pirates will be extra patient at the plate?
  • Options
    I've never understood why any manager would put a pitcher on an inning count? What does that even mean? Does he get brain cramps or psychological stress with the thought of going past the 6th inning? Pitches wear out arms, not innings.

• Options

Although it wasn't his first appearance in an MLB game, didn't Wilson Alvarez toss a no-no in his first MLB start?
  • Options

<< <i>If history is any guide, hype over hitters is sometimes justified, wherby hype over pitchers is almost always not justified. >>

Best post of this thread. I actually feel bad for the Strasburg kid. The amount of pressure on him to succeed...
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Todd... Van... Poppel... image
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Two big busts I can think of ... one from each of the NY teams:

1991 - Brien Taylor - NYY

1994 - Paul Wilson - NYM
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    Strasburg's final minor league start is today at 1 pm on Versus in case anyone wants to watch.
  • Options
    Looks like MLB tv will be showing his 3rd start Friday night.