Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I have a question about mickey mantle autographed

What is a good price on a mantle autographed baseball? My friend who I work with wants to sell it to me. Any info.

Comments

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭✭
    what have you been told to assist in establishing it's authenticity? pictures?
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    kobefan1kobefan1 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭
    He told me he got it from I think QVC and he willing to let me send it to psa to proof its real
  • Options
    QVC was a notorious place for fake autos.

Can you get any pictures? It might be worth it to get the opinion of forum users before sending it out to PSA and potentially wasting money.
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    I just sold a snow white Mantle ball with a full JSA L of A for $450.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options

<< <i>QVC was a notorious place for fake autos.

Can you get any pictures? It might be worth it to get the opinion of forum users before sending it out to PSA and potentially wasting money. >>

I think you may be mistaken here...There were a lot of Scoreboard certs that were reproduced/photocopied and placed with bad items, but QVC didn't sell forgeries....

You may be thinking of Shop At Home

IMF

I agree that if legit...$400 or so is a fair price
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭

authenticated then 400-450. you need to factor in the $130 round trip to psa/dna. I'd pay more like $300 if it still needs to be authenticated. if you are over that amount you might as well buy an already psa/dna Mick ball
  • Options
    Schulte Auctions is having an auction that ends tonight (currently in overtime) and they have a JSA Mantle "No. 7" inscription ball (Bobby Brown Pres.) that's currently @ $626
  • Options

<< <i>

Can you get any pictures? It might be worth it to get the opinion of forum users before sending it out to PSA and potentially wasting money. >>

I think you may be mistaken here...There were a lot of Scoreboard certs that were reproduced/photocopied and placed with bad items, but QVC didn't sell forgeries....

IMF

I agree that if legit...$400 or so is a fair price >>

QVC didn't knowingly sell forgeries, but they were one of the outlets selling the Marino balls with the scoreboard, j. dimmagio, etc... COAs. Shop At Home was another outlet, but QVC did sell them too.

• Options
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭
    I think the early days of QVC when they would have Mantle, Jackson, etc. on the air to hawk the autos were good.

• Options
    QVC never sold fakes. They Mantle, Mays and Reggie Jackson stuff. They are very legit. I actually bought a Reggie ball in 1988 for $40-45, which is a pretty good price looking back on it. Mickey Mantle and Willie Mays used to sell their autographs on QVC. If you bought in the late 80's you did really well. If he is the original owner than it is legit. Wish I bought Mickey and Willie as well.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

IMF

I agree that if legit...$400 or so is a fair price >>

I was gonna say the same thing.

Back in the early 90s, QVC was selling Scoreboard direct items - and Mantle was contracted with "the Scoreboard" back then - they were also sold in JC Penney catalogs around Christmas time. A great buy back in 1990 - ya could get a superb Ryan for like 39 bucks, along with a Mantle for 49 bucks. As a price gauge back then - by 1993 - when Mantle appeared at the Nassau Colliseum - they were charging 70 bucks for an auto - I went and he was sold out - I was really disappointed - I had some really cool items to include a 68 SI poster to have signed.
    Mike
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>QVC never sold fakes. They Mantle, Mays and Reggie Jackson stuff. They are very legit. I actually bought a Reggie ball in 1988 for $40-45, which is a pretty good price looking back on it. Mickey Mantle and Willie Mays used to sell their autographs on QVC. If you bought in the late 80's you did really well. If he is the original owner than it is legit. Wish I bought Mickey and Willie as well. >>

I do remember the Jackson being pushed on QVC - it was an UD product in 1993 - ya got a ball and they threw in a small UD poster signed for the same price - can't remember how much - my guess - about 70 bucks.

Also, on the Mantle - after his contract ran out or he stopped signing for the Scoreboard - he went with Upper Deck. To be honest - tho not cheap - the early 90s was the time to buy a Mantle and a Williams bat with the UD logo.

As a reference - in 1992 - one could buy an UD Williams ball from an SCD seller for less than 90 bucks.

As was said - the problem with the Scoreboard CoA is the fact that it was just a piece of paper and I wouldn't put it past sellers using them with the MarinoMantle balls.
    Mike
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    QVC solds lots of very real autographs. They were however priced about 2x what a normal dealer in the day would want, but they made some cool items. (And somed proved good long term deals).

I like the cards they released with Score Board and have 3 of the 4 different Young auto cards. They came in these strange cases that was like a thick plastic slab with a big cap. You can sometimes find these for a little of nothing on eBay and they include 1989 Topps Traded signed rookies of Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin among others.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.