Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Showing some Mexican Coins

Comments

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing! I take it the map is of the state issues that I have heard about (but never seen before).

What's the deal with the skeletons? That's a little macabre, but also kind of cool, just because it's something you never see...I dig the offbeat stuff.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "What's the deal with the skeletons?"

Probably a cultural reference to Dia de los Muertos, celebrated on November 2 (All Souls Day).
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for sharing! I take it the map is of the state issues that I have heard about (but never seen before).

What's the deal with the skeletons? That's a little macabre, but also kind of cool, just because it's something you never see...I dig the offbeat stuff. >>

Yeap, it's like the state quarters but in larger denomination. These are $100 pesos coins (about 8.5 dollars). And the skeletons you're talking about are commemorative of the 400th anniversary of "Don Quijote de la Mancha" but represented with a Mexican taste. Like "harasha" said they are a reference to "el día de muertos". We call that skeleton "la catrina"
  • Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭
    Cool. I like the coin in your avatar. I have a soft spot for the Volcanoes.
  • Options

<< <i>Cool. I like the coin in your avatar. I have a soft spot for the Volcanoes. >>

Thank you, unfortunately I don't own it. I just have some one ounces, maybe one day I'll own that one and the kilo (kg) version.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for sharing! I take it the map is of the state issues that I have heard about (but never seen before). >>

Billy, like the US, Mexico is already on the second round of state coins!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks for sharing! I take it the map is of the state issues that I have heard about (but never seen before). >>

Billy, like the US, Mexico is already on the second round of state coins! >>

And we finished a while ago. Now in celebration of the 200th anniversary of the start of War of Independence and 100th anniversary of the start of the Mexican Revolution, important characters from both wars are appearing on the $5 coins.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>...they are a reference to "el día de muertos". We call that skeleton "la catrina" >>

I think you misunderstood the design in this one hundred pesos coin, while in effect it's a design known as "Calavera Quijotesca" by Jose Guadalupe Posada it was done to pay tribute to the famous book of Cervantes "El Quijote". Not to be mistaken with the skeleton know as "La Catrina" which was born in the Diego Rivera painting "Dream of a Sunday afternoon at Alameda Park" as a skeleton of a woman of high society at the turn of the century.

~
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice 1918, FilAm!!! image
  • Options
    That is one awesome coin Filam
    Congratulations on such a beauty!

~
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my favorite Mexican coins is this 1924 silver peso,
    as one like it was used in the 1948 film "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre".

Mexico Peso 1924

The coin in the film:

http://www.brianrxm.com/htmdir/cnsmovies_treasuresierra.htm

"Say, mister. Will you stake a fellow American to a meal?"

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television