Home U.S. Coin Forum

What to do with all the jars of loose change

BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
Cashed em in and am going to take the family out for BBQ Beef Ribs
to celebrate the holiday. I just hope the $11.73 will cover the cost and tip.image
There once was a place called
Camelotimage

Comments

• tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Cashed em in and am going to take the family out for BBQ Beef Ribs
    to celebrate the holiday. I just hope the $11.73 will cover the cost and tip.image >>

...YIKES! you better have some foldin' money too!!image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    baby food jars?
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Currently I am tracking:

Quarters/Nickles/Dimes/Prez Dollars and Half Dollars: $483.65

Cents(Copper and Zinks): $25.00

Total of: $508.65

How do I turn in so much change?

Edited to add: The cents are rolled (All copper or all Zink per roll). The other change are all separated in different wine bottles...
  • Look at each coin...Keep any errors or others I like...Cash in the remainder for bills...Will use it for spending money when I go on vacation. Averages $800.00, three to four jars a year. Hurry up July.image
    Ilikacoinsawholebuncha
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about using that new fangled invention called a credit card? No excess change floating around, and you get both the float on your money and (hopefully) some potential benefit such as frequent flyer miles.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Some banks like Valley National and TD have free coin counters. You just dump the coins in, it counts them and prints out a recipt you take to the teller for cash. Its like coinstar, but there is no fee to use it.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some banks like Valley National and TD have free coin counters. You just dump the coins in, it counts them and prints out a recipt you take to the teller for cash. Its like coinstar, but there is no fee to use it. >>

At my bank, I can take to it the teller, SHE will count it in her/the bank's counter and give me foldin stuff back if I want or deposit it in whichever account I choose. I don't accumulate much these days, but when the bank quits takin change, I quit accumulating.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Some banks like Valley National and TD have free coin counters. You just dump the coins in, it counts them and prints out a recipt you take to the teller for cash. Its like coinstar, but there is no fee to use it. >>

At my bank, I can take to it the teller, SHE will count it in her/the bank's counter and give me foldin stuff back if I want or deposit it in whichever account I choose. I don't accumulate much these days, but when the bank quits takin change, I quit accumulating. >>

stay away from the DC area... the big banks only want it pre-rolled. (or there are those that have the machines)
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

At my bank, I can take to it the teller, SHE will count it in her/the bank's counter and give me foldin stuff back if I want or deposit it in whichever account I choose. I don't accumulate much these days, but when the bank quits takin change, I quit accumulating. >>

stay away from the DC area... the big banks only want it pre-rolled. (or there are those that have the machines) >>

If I took it to my bank pre-rolled, they'd break the rolls open and re-count the coins.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>baby food jars? >>

That was good...
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know what I done with about 10 pounds of coins two years ago? We had a very large shed put up in our back yard. It will be there for a LONG time. Its on a heavy bed of grey trap rock. Before they settled it into place, I ran into the house, and got a big can of mixed change.....put the can into three garbage bags...wrapped it up...and duct taped it all together into a big mass.

Whoever...and whenever...they take down that shed....WOW will they have a surprise!!!!!
  • BarcatBarcat Posts: 195 ✭✭
    Why not just take all that money and buy some hot dogs, buns and honey and join the clan at the pool ?

Carolyn
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just did this last week.

Spent the better part of a day rolling change that I had separated for the past 3 years. Not counting dollar coins I wound up with $518.50 plus some scraps unrolled. With dollars and halves it was over $800.

Took them to the bank Saturday with the box of rolls setting off my passenger seat belt alarm (HA), traded for 5 hundreds, drove to the tire store and traded those plus another one for some new shoes for the Dawg'erado.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file