Home Precious Metals
Options

How much would a 1oz bar of Niobium be worth?

MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
Anybody know?

Comments

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have to ask...

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $30 from a reliable source. $19.99 if you want unreliable but stamped with a buffalo.
    http://www.elementsales.com/pl_element.htm#nb
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Thanks! So you think the ones from Hong Kong with the Buffalo on them are fake?
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>$30 from a reliable source. $19.99 if you want unreliable but stamped with a buffalo.
    http://www.elementsales.com/pl_element.htm#nb >>

LOL, I wonder how many suckers they've found that bought the little $8 tube of oxygen.image

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    Platinum looks so unflattering like this.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

• Options

<< <i>Thanks! So you think the ones from Hong Kong with the Buffalo on them are fake? >>

I have never and will never own any bar of any kind of metal from that manufacturer, from that series, or in that style.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is Niobium a PM?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I would think that Niobium would be considered to be about as precious as silver. I'm not sure though what the definition of precious metal is.

I did a search on the Buffalo Niobium Bars and found out they come from CMC mint. I did a search on CMC mint and found they were the ones that DCarr was having trouble with a while back and a few less than flattering ratings by people who looked into their products before. I don't really know much about them, don't want to get anything that isn't considered to be top tier though.

Anybody know of any other manufacturers of Niobium bars or ingots, preferably ones made with the manufacturers name on them and preferably from a top tier type PM company?
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>$30 from a reliable source. $19.99 if you want unreliable but stamped with a buffalo.
    http://www.elementsales.com/pl_element.htm#nb >>

LOL, I wonder how many suckers they've found that bought the little $8 tube of oxygen.image >>

check out their price for nickel.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    The Austrian Mint makes some silver/niobium coins...NCLT type of stuff

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    here's the austrian Mint's page

although that is quite a premium they have
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>I would think that Niobium would be considered to be about as precious as silver. I'm not sure though what the definition of precious metal is.

I did a search on the Buffalo Niobium Bars and found out they come from CMC mint. I did a search on CMC mint and found they were the ones that DCarr was having trouble with a while back and a few less than flattering ratings by people who looked into their products before. I don't really know much about them, don't want to get anything that isn't considered to be top tier though.

Anybody know of any other manufacturers of Niobium bars or ingots, preferably ones made with the manufacturers name on them and preferably from a top tier type PM company? >>

this kind of reminds me of my recent post about purchasing other manufacturing metals such as palladium, rhodium, etc.

ok... let's say you can buy it.

can you sell it without getting robbed ?? that's an important question to ask as well.

(Perhaps mining stocks may work.)
  • Options
    Does Niobium or some of these other oddball metals have any liquidity on the market like the regular PMs?

• Options
    That site gave me an idea. Sell test tubes of water and Windex for $12 per tube. image H20 and NH3

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you buy a vial of helium I suggest you purchase a hunk of yttrium to lasso around it......MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    OffMetalOffMetal Posts: 1,684

<< <i>If you buy a vial of helium I suggest you purchase a hunk of yttrium to lasso around it......MJ >>

I have the bar of Yttrium (furthest left), who has the vial of helium for sale? image

I've always thought it would be neat to start my own periodic table, but I found that the costs of putting one together (with sizable samples) gets expensive quick and I would rather put that into something that would be more liquid such as numismatics or gold/silver.

One thing I would absolutely love to own is a chunk of gallium, it'll melt in your hands!

Ben
    -Ben T. * Collector of Errors! * Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ben, look here

This site has it all. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405

<< <i>here's the austrian Mint's page

although that is quite a premium they have >>

I got one a while ago. It's pretty nice and the cool thing of Niobium is that they can change its color.

• Options
    The aluminum on their website has a large premium markup. I was thinking about investing in aluminum. image

• Options
    I went ahead and ordered these 2 last night direct from the Austrian Mint's site.
    Only I got an error message in my e-mail from them and now I can't get into their online shop anymore. Oh well, maybe they will get here, maybe not.
    I've been interested in Niobium ever since I saw pictures on line of the Latvian Coin of Time 1 which looks like this
    Only I have tried for a couple of years to find one and I couldn't find it for sale anywhere. The Coin of time 2 with astrology symbols is available but not the Coin of time 1.
    While looking for the coin of time I became aware of the Niobium Jewelry and bought my wife some nice multicolored pieces from Holly Yashi. Holly Yashi Niobium Jewelry Yesterday I did a new search for the coin of time on ebay and didn't find it but I noticed that people were selling those Buffalo Niobium ingots and it got me curious. I don't know how liquid of a market Niobium bars or ingots would have, might just be a novelty but since it is used so much in jewelry and for making high tech alloys it might be liquid. I figured it would at least have some novelty value for silver bar collectors in small quantities at least though.
    It is neat stuff with the anodyzing color peoperties. Supposedly you pass electric current through it and depending on the voltage you get controllable reproducable colors. Neat stuff.