Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Famous Baseball Quote Needed

I'm trying to find a baseball quote by a French philosopher by the name of Voltaire. I've done Google and Ask.com searches and can't find any sites that have this quote. It goes something like: "Those who wish to know the heart of America, need to know baseball."

Can anyone help me out with the exact wording of this quote and what the source was? Thanks in advance for any replies!

Comments

• Options
    Wasn't the philosopher Voltaire a little ahead of baseball? Like 100+ years?
  • Options
    Yes, you are indeed correct - it wasn't Voltaire. But I'm pretty certain the quote was made by some famous foreign philosopher. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    “Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball, the rules and realities of the game and do it by watching first some high-school or small-town teams” Jacques Barzun
  • Options
    I just recently heard it on an episode of The Golden Age of Baseball showing on FSN channels in the last 2 weeks or so but cannot remember who it was attributed to, sorry.
  • Options

<< <i>“Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball, the rules and realities of the game and do it by watching first some high-school or small-town teams” Jacques Barzun >>

Excellent!! Thank you very much!
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

wiki

Barzun

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    "There's no crying in baseball!" -- Jimmy Dugan
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    "We suck" - New York Yankees
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    "If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out."
    -George Brett
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If my mother was rounding third base with the run that would beat us, I'd trip her." I believe that was Leo Durocher.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Good pitching will beat good hitting anytime , and vise versa.---- Bob Veale--- 1966
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    Theres a quote I heard that if you replace the key word with Baseball you could prolly have a good quote, here it is,, "Theres only one word that holds this family together,,,, Handcuffs",,,, see if you replace Handcuff's with Baseball it could work , right,,, image , bj
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    then they give you money which is just like cash. Yogi image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Yep gotta go with Yogi.

LOL Voltaire.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I'd run through a fire in a gasoline suit to play the game of baseball.....Pete Rose
  • Options
    pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭
    Ricky Henderson? LOL!
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    "Boys, it's a simple game. You throw the ball, you hit the ball, you catch the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains."
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If I Ain't Startin', I Ain't Departin"."

---Gary Templeton on learning he was going to be added as a reserve to the All Starr Game

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    PhilGPhilG Posts: 237 ✭✭
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again ---Terence Mann

• Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    "Why buy good luggage? You only use it when you travel." Yogi
    Capecards
  • Options
    "It's a day later and we still suck" - New York Yankees
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭

<< <i>"Boys, it's a simple game. You throw the ball, you hit the ball, you catch the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." >>

ROFL!

Okay, well, uh... candlesticks always make a nice gift, and uh, maybe you could find out where she's registered and maybe a place-setting or maybe a silverware pattern. Okay, let's get two! Go get 'em. -Larry Hockett
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    "There have been only two geniuses in the world: Willie Mays and Wilie Shakespeare"...Tullulah Banhead (1903-1968)
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Hopefully someone could find an original play of this famous quote... image
  • Options
    "I would be lost without baseball. I don't think I could stand being away from it as long as I was alive"...Roberto Clemente

Al
  • Options
    "Derek Jeter has a cute bum" - Alex Rodriguez
  • Options
    "Here is a game in which there is no clock, the defense holds the ball, though it had rigid rules, every park is different, the greatest heroes fail seven times in ten, a game that is born in the spring and dies in the fall. This is life"...Ken Burns

Al
  • Options
    "Anyone have Alex's phone #?" - Derek Jeter
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out."
    -George Brett >>

What is crapping your pants in Vegas like?
  • Options
    "I don't know how to make myself more clearer...I have NEVER taken steroids"--Rafael Palmero.

"I'm not here to talk about the past"--Mark Mcgwire

"No habla Ingles"--Sammy Sosa

"I told you so"--Jose Cansecoimage
    "You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp
  • Options
    " When I was a small boy in Kansas a friend of mine and I went fishing. I told him I wanted to be a real Major League baseball player, a genuine professional like Honus Wagner. My friend told me he wanted to be President of the United States. Neither of us got our wish."...Dwight Eisenhower

Al
  • Options
    melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    "It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops."

Bart Giamatti
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    "Strikeouts are boring. Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls. It's more democratic."

That script is full of real wisdom.
  • Options
    "The two most important things in life are good friends and a strong bullpen"...Bob Lemon

Al