Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Opinions on this Mantle - Grade popped (New Photo Added)

I always wanted a nice Mantle autograph on an original card. I just bought this one but have not received it yet. I am hoping to get some opinions about what I am considering with this card.

1. If the corners are ok, is this card too off center to get a PSA 7 (red flip PSA/DNA) without a qualifier?

2. The auto looks very nice. Should I consider the blue flip with the autograph graded?

3. Should I just leave it as it is?

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Depending on what my intentions were is how I'd proceed.

If it was to be locked away in my collection I'd simply leave it as it is.

If my intention was to sell it I'd get the auto graded. The card is what it is.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    I did buy it to keep it but would like it in the holder that makes it most valueable.
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭

most Mantle signatures are very nice and strong and a '10' for auto grade on Mantle's is not uncommon and I don't believe adds too much value. based on your scan I think you are looking at more like a '9' for an auto grade.

the card itself looks nice and has great centering. if the card graded a 7 I think you'd be adding value to it with the card being graded....many signed cards of Mick are not the best condition but your's looks to be nice.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That centering is easily good enough for a 7. Nice Mick!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not an autograph guy......but as for that card===It is real nice. It's hard to tell the corners; but it looks like a 7 at least. Really nice, clear color too. The auto appears to be in the perfect spot to add to the appeal.

Sweet Card.
  • Options

<< <i>That centering is easily good enough for a 7. Nice Mick! >>

Agreed...definitely a slight diamond cut, but the centering is definitely 7-worthy.

I'm not embarassed to admit that I did not know Mantle was ever listed as a first baseman. I also just learned that he played other infield positions (all 3 of them) very occassionaly during the early part of his career.
  • Options
    I think it looks better than this PSA 7 I had. Nice Mickey, I don't think I would crack it out, but I would send it in for crossover/review to have a grade put on the card.
  • Options
    The card looked great when I received it. It has very nice corners. I sent it to PSA and was logged in last Wednesday on the 5 day special. Poppage is due today. I stated no qualifiers. Hoping for a PSA 7.
  • Options
    I am really happy with this. I have wanted a nice Mantle autograph on a high-grade original card for a while. Almost all original cards I have seen are either in rough shape or are off center. I looked through the pop report for original Topps Mantle autos that were PSA 7 or better and only found one, a 1960 Topps AS in PSA 8. I will post a pic when I get it back from PSA.

1 1 16656938 NEAR MINT 7 1969 TOPPS 500 MICKEY MANTLE LAST NAME IN YELLOW-PSA/DNA CERTIFIED
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭

you can't trust the psa/dna pop report for cards. I've seen psa/dna cards the pop report only showed one graded and I had two of them myself
  • Options

<< <i>you can't trust the psa/dna pop report for cards. I've seen psa/dna cards the pop report only showed one graded and I had two of them myself >>

I think even if the pop report is a little off it is still quite a low number of high grade original autographed Mantle cards. I have been looking for a while and this is the first one that I have found.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Make yourself a promise right now. Never sell that card. That is special. The eye appeal is #1. There's only 1 person in the hobby who you should ever consider selling that to.image

Congrats
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    Wow. That is a keeper. Congrats...
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    That card is super fantastic. If I ever found a Clemente that nice I would die.

Whats funny is that card, which there might not be a nicer auto/card combination out there in 1969 than this one, will still sell less than a new UD or Topps card where they take a HOF Postcard auto cut it up and put it on a crappy looking new retro card with 1/2 the auto hidden.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Now all you have to do is crack it out and resub and hope for a 7.5image

Nice card, a Keeper for sure. image
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Very Very Nice card. Congratulations.
  • Options
    Just got it back form PSA.