Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is this 58 Mantle legit?

Borders look a little thin and I think I remember seeing reprints in the past that had similar thin borders.

Also any idea what the team card is? Thanks

58 Mantle and a 1923 team card with Gehrig

Comments

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    My guess is that the team card is a reprint because the writing on the back is too dark while the front is very faded. Also, it looks like a modern font and not one used in 1923. I am just playing devil's advocate though. I do not know if the Mantle is a reprint or not but I would assume it is a reprint because why would they only find these four cards in the estate lot. with 2 of them being fromthe late 70's one from 1958 and one from 1923. They don't go together. Then the person says he does not know what they are worth but he knows enough about grading. He did say that he is selling them as reprints "because of Ebay policy".
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    I feel the same way. I'm not the one that bought them. Just trying to help out the guy that did. I just looked at his other stuff and see a 51 and 52 Mays mixed in with some 74 commons. Too many red flags.

and yeah, looks too much like a modern font on the back of the team card

• Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
    The answer is in the description.

I don't know much about the history of these cards and they are not in the best condition so I will not get them graded and selling them as reprints per ebay rules on ungraded cards. There is no reprint stamp on any of the cards and I don't really know what they are worth.

I've searched and searched the eBay site and I've never found the policy that ungraded cards MUST be sold as reprints. Almost 100% of the time that I have found that line of BS the cards are counterfeits.
  • Options
    Doesn't take long to find stuff.

Seller has bought 46 counterfeits in the past 30 days.

1958 MICKEY MANTLE, OLD LOOKING REPRINT

1952 TOPPS WILLIE MAYS ROOKIE, OLD LOOKING REPRINT

MICHAEL JORDAN ROOKIE / AWESOME RP

Pathetic!!
  • Options
    Looks like he's pulled off this scam successfully recently

1960 and 1967 Mantle

I dropped a line to the buyer.

He's very sneaky as well - recently he's been doing this and successfully selling lots which don't highlight the most valuable card.

Lot with two unadvertised Mantles that went unsold (of course he just sold the 1960 and 1967 Mantle on May 17)

Lot with an unadvertised 1956 Clemente

Collecting all things Pittsburgh.

Completed my Clemente Basic Registry (2007 - 2014)!

Positive transactions with oakesy25,jasoneggert,swartz1,MBMiller25,gregm13,kid4hof03,HoopGuru33,Reese3333,BPorter26,Davemri
  • Options
    I tried to report it to Ebay but I don't see how you can do that anymore. Can you still report an item?
  • Options
    This guy is what is wrong with our hobby. It makes me so furious that someone knowinglt sells fakes that they know are fake. I would love for this guy to get caught. I could rant about this for a while so it is time I go take it out on some co-workers.
  • Options

<< <i>This guy is what is wrong with our hobby. It makes me so furious that someone knowinglt sells fakes that they know are fake. >>

• Options

The scammer succeeds in part because he is relying on the greed of buyers who think they are getting a great deal on his lot when he doesn't advertise the valuable card.

Collecting all things Pittsburgh.

Completed my Clemente Basic Registry (2007 - 2014)!

Positive transactions with oakesy25,jasoneggert,swartz1,MBMiller25,gregm13,kid4hof03,HoopGuru33,Reese3333,BPorter26,Davemri
  • Options

<< <i>The scammer succeeds in part because he is relying on the greed of buyers who think they are getting a great deal on his lot when he doesn't advertise the valuable card. >>

I don't know if I would call it Greed. Everyone likes to get a deal on something. If the seller does not know what he has, he should do research first before listing it on ebay. I also think that people who are listing sports cards on ebay know that a Mickey Mantle or Willie Mays is something special and that they command higher prices.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The scammer succeeds in part because he is relying on the greed of buyers who think they are getting a great deal on his lot when he doesn't advertise the valuable card. >>

I don't know if I would call it Greed. Everyone likes to get a deal on something. If the seller does not know what he has, he should do research first before listing it on ebay. I also think that people who are listing sports cards on ebay know that a Mickey Mantle or Willie Mays is something special and that they command higher prices. >>

Ah, but this seller does know what they have as they are stupid enough to use the same id for buying and selling and clearly have been purchasing these counterfeits and turning around trying to pawn them off with the old estate sale line of BS. Person is also smart in that they are not listing a specific card in the title which is also trying to fool others into thinking that they haven't got a clue about cards which is where the greed comes into on this type of auction. A buyer looks at the title, sees no mention of the specific players/years, looks at the description of and sees no mention of specific players/years and thinks PAYDAY!!!!

But (and there is always a but) there are other types of people that fall for these types of counterfeit auctions. There are Grandparents, wives and girlfriends that might hear their son, husband or boyfriend talking about such and such a player and how great it would be to own such and such card and since they know the name of player they search listings for bargains to present as a gift. They are the ones that are targeted in these scams as well and it's way to easy to say "let the buyer beware" and "they were greedy so they got what the deserved". Not everyone is trying to flip a card for a profit and not everyone is greedy.

The people who sell these garbage counterfeits ARE greedy and it can and does hurt people in this hobby but those that sell these unlicensed counterfeit garbage pieces of cardboard could care less and there are some in the hobby that also could care less as they love to throw out the let the buyer beware line when these sellers/items are discussed or outed.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I don't know if I would call it Greed. Everyone likes to get a deal on something. If the seller does not know what he has, he should do research first before listing it on ebay. I also think that people who are listing sports cards on ebay know that a Mickey Mantle or Willie Mays is something special and that they command higher prices. >>

Ah, but this seller does know what they have as they are stupid enough to use the same id for buying and selling and clearly have been purchasing these counterfeits and turning around trying to pawn them off with the old estate sale line of BS. Person is also smart in that they are not listing a specific card in the title which is also trying to fool others into thinking that they haven't got a clue about cards which is where the greed comes into on this type of auction. A buyer looks at the title, sees no mention of the specific players/years, looks at the description of and sees no mention of specific players/years and thinks PAYDAY!!!!

But (and there is always a but) there are other types of people that fall for these types of counterfeit auctions. There are Grandparents, wives and girlfriends that might hear their son, husband or boyfriend talking about such and such a player and how great it would be to own such and such card and since they know the name of player they search listings for bargains to present as a gift. They are the ones that are targeted in these scams as well and it's way to easy to say "let the buyer beware" and "they were greedy so they got what the deserved". Not everyone is trying to flip a card for a profit and not everyone is greedy.

The people who sell these garbage counterfeits ARE greedy and it can and does hurt people in this hobby but those that sell these unlicensed counterfeit garbage pieces of cardboard could care less and there are some in the hobby that also could care less as they love to throw out the let the buyer beware line when these sellers/items are discussed or outed. >>

I agree with you. The seller is the one who is being greedy and it is the grandparents, wives, fgirlfriends, etc that fall prey to these types of sellers. I also agree with you that this seller know exactly what he has and how to trick people. I was saying before that not all buyers are greedy trying to make a flip. some just want a certain card for their collection.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies and checking guys. The buyer isn't registered here but will see this link.

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Excellent detective work Barf!!!!!!!!

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    BTW....

The team card is NOT a reprint, it is a fantasy issue.
  • Options
    Buddy of mine sent of a question to the seller asking where on eBay can they policy be found that states hat sellers must sell ungraded cards as reprints as per eBay's rules and surprisingly an answer was given by the seller.

Response was to look in the eBay help under rare collectible cards because there are so many reprints of rare cards out there, that they (eBay) require them to be graded with some sort of authenticity as well as autographs etc.

So click on the help and search "rare collectible cards".

4 topics found being

Choosing a payment method (for buyers)
    Chance listings policy
    Avoiding eBay fees
    How eBay protects intellectual property (VeRO)

Don't see anything there that states ungraded cards must be sold as reprints.

How about a search for "reprints"?

1 topic found

Creating shipping labels and packing slips on eBay

Nope, that doesn't have the policy in it either.

How about counterfeits?

35 Topics found.

Replicas, counterfeit items, and unauthorized copies policy doesn't say anything about having to sell as a reprint either. It does clearly state

It's illegal to sell bootlegs, counterfeits, fakes, replicas, or unauthorized or pirated copies of any product. In order to comply with the law, we don't allow these items to be offered on eBay. This policy also helps protect buyers from getting counterfeit or unauthorized goods, and helps protect people from copyright or trademark infringement.

So the search continues for the eBay policy that ungraded cards must be sold as reprints.
  • Options
    How can we report this guy to ebay so hopefully his auction goes away?
  • Options
    Auction titled Old Baseball Cards Found in Estate Lot of 8 w/Fergie that contained a counterfeit 52 Topps Willie Mays is gone.

This listing (260610535362) has been removed, or this item is not available.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    On eBay you can't sell fakes, even as reprints, but according to eBay you are allowed to sell fake coins.

Certain cards have to be graded, Gretzky, Mantle, Jordan - and are not allowed to be sold raw.

• Options