Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Does anyone know where it was made?

I bought this coin/metal on Ebay and looking for more info like where it was made? It says, "EUROPA" on the front and "EUROPEAN COMMUNITY" on the back, it has 925 stamped on it and looks like a cameo/proof. There are also a couple other small stamps but hard to make out. It weights about 151 grams, so a large Sterling Silver Coin/Metal of some sorts? Also I can't figure out how to add the picture? Help!

Comments

• Options

<< <i>It says, "EUROPA" on the front and "EUROPEAN COMMUNITY" on the back >>

It's known as a "silver round", a non-monetary medal/token worth its bullion weight. Hundreds of companies produce such items, some one-offs and some (think Franklin Mint) by the dozens, if not hundreds. Chances are yours dates from around the turn of the century, celebrating the then-upcoming introduction of the Euro.

There are two ways to add a picture to your post:
      1. If the picture is located somewhere on the web, click on the small picture icon next to the underline icon above the text box, and insert the URL of the picture in the dialog box that appears.
      2. If the picture is located on your computer, click on the "Attach File(s)" button below the text box, then browse your computer to locate the file, click on "Upload File", and you're in business.
    Roy

• Options
    Thanks for the info Roy.
    I bought the coin/metal on Ebay and would like to find out where/who made it but still having problems uploading it onto the site. I thought I could just copy and paste it but that doesn't seem to be working. Any other ideas? Best Regards, Jack
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭
    First, save the picture to your own computer and rename it something that you will remember. Then, go to one of your posts (or someone else's). At the bottom of that post, you wiull see a little key that says "reply". Open that up so that you can reply to the thread. At the bottom of the "reply" block you will see
    attachments". Click on that and you can browse your own computer in whatever file that you stored the picture in. If you click on the photo once, it will tag onto your post as an attachment. If you double-click on it, it will show up full-size in your post. You can attach more than one photo per post. Just keep looking for your other phtos and clicking on them.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info Bill. I'm going to try to attach 2 pictures to this posting. Please let me know if you get them. I think I'm still having problems? As I write to you I can see below where it says Attachments and I have 2 items there but I don't know if they will go though to you. Thanks again. Best regards, Jack
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice piece, my guess based on the look of the design is that it was made in Italy or less likely France. It is an attractive piece though, and outside of the realm of the usual junque that gets offered.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Thanks for your thoughts SaorAlba and you're probably right about it being from Italy. On the face under the lady's picture is written E. Scatragli, sounds Italian to me, maybe the designer's name? On the reverse are 3 marks, the first mark has a (five pointed closed star with the numeral 1 next to it and some space then AR) the second mark (925) and the third mark (looks like a fat H with the top open portion of the H looking like an open circle and the bottom portion of the H looking like an open square). Any ideas on the maker? Without a maker's name I guess I could expect to only get the bullion value of this coin? Thanks you all for the help.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I seem to recall having seen these before, but I can't remember when or where. If it were made today the Euro-ship would be sinking.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>the second mark (925) >>

Undoubtedly a reference to the fineness/percentage of silver, indicating that it is Sterling.

<< <i>Without a maker's name I guess I could expect to only get the bullion value of this coin. >>

Even with a maker's name your non-coin round is probably worth a very small, if any, premium over melt.
    Roy