Home Sports Talk
Options

Just Got Back Home from Citi Field after Being at the Game Tonight...

grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
& I must admit that as the crowd chanted "SWEEP, SWEEP, SWEEP," and poor Cole Hamels trudged off the field like he lost his dog, I felt just the slightest twinge of pity for these poor pitiful Phillies...I mean zero runs in 27 innings?? Has such an exercise in futility ever even been accomplished in baseball's grand history? What are the odds of that even happening? I'd say it's got to be right up there with maybe the Eagles winning the Super Bowl or the sun failing to rise...I know! Maybe next time these Phillies come to town I will tell Jerry Manuel to let them score at least one measly run...after all, that's the least we can do as gracious hosts, right?? image

LET'S GO METS!!!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phillies taken to the woodshed, no doubt about it...but...the Phillies are still in first place.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't exactly call a team that's the two time defending league champs "poor, pitiful"... image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    I wouldn't exactly call a team that's the two time defending league champs "poor, pitiful"...

You must have been a straight A student in satire..

And when you don't score a single run in an entire series and get swept, the word "pitiful" is actually quite apropos..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And when you don't score a single run in an entire series and get swept, the word "pitiful" is actually quite apropos.. >>

And it has been SIX straight games where the Phils didn't score a single run off the starting pitcher. They've made everyone look like Koufax. I'll bet they are less than .100 with RISP over the last six games with the Mets and Red Sox combined. One constant I've seen is that the Phillies are consistently starting at-bats in an 0-1, 0-2, 1-2 hole.

I never thought this lineup -- even sans Rollins -- could look worse than the Astros and the Giants. But right now, yeesh -- they look like a AA team trying to hit big league pitching. At some point they will break out and I pity the pitching staff playing against them when they do.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole division is in the pennant race. At year end, the winner will be .503, and last place will be .497
  • Options
    The whole division is in the pennant race. At year end, the winner will be .503, and last place will be .497

As long as we're the one at .503, that's fine with me...after all, it worked for the Cardinals..image

• Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496

<< <i>The whole division is in the pennant race. At year end, the winner will be .503, and last place will be .497 >>

As opposed to the AL East where the winner will be playing .650 ball while last place (aka the Orioles) team is in the .300 range. The NL East will be fun to watch this year! I'm really happy to see the Nationals be respectable. And they should be even better once Strasburg arrives.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Phillies taken to the woodshed, no doubt about it...but...the Phillies are still in first place. >>

Still in first place....for now.... 1.5 games back and the Braves smell blood in the water. The struggling Phillies are coming into town next week and Atlanta is playing their best ball of the year right now. It could be that order is about to be restored in the NL East with the Braves on top and the Mets not too far behind.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look it up - even the '27 Yankees had some small losing streaks that year.

I ain't the least bit worried - Phillies getting this poison out of their system early in the season...and will be there in first place at the end of the season - it's already etched in stone.