Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1891 Canadian Cents any Small Dates in these?

SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
Sometimes I just can't tell.
2 scans of the same coins, flipped on scanner for different light angle.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Comments

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    The first coin in the first picture is the small leaves, small date, but the obverse will give you the variety of the portrait. I am still looking at the rest.....
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    The one in the bottom left of the first grouping looks as if it may be the large leaves small date.....
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭
    My specialty is Canada Victorian Large Cent varieties and the only one that I see as a possibly is the middle one on the bottom in the top photo and the middle top photo in the second set but, with the crud, it's hard to tell but I'd say they were both LL/LL as well, based on the vertical line test. ALL of them are large leaf... there are no small leaves. Any small leave is automatically a small date. A small date is a different font on the 9, not a smaller date and there were 2 different fonts used, as well, in the large dates, in my opinion. The SD's will have an oval shaped interior to the top loop of the 9, and a definite egg shaped top on the interior top loop. A large date will have a round, or much more rounded interior but, with any wear, will start to look a little oval. As any Vicky large cent wears, the letters/digits will always appear thicker, since they are tapered out from the top down. As a coin gets any wear, the width of the letter/digit will always appear thicker or a different font all around. You can also tell a large date by extending down the outside vertical left leg on the N in Cent. If it hits the 9, then it's a large date... just use a file card or piece of paper. On any small date, that vertical line doesn't come close to touching, especially most of the Obv 2 dies where the gap is quite large. The reverse and obverse dies didn't necessarily stay with the same marriage through the entire striking cycle and different Obv & Rev marriages with different working dies are readily seen. Sorry for the disappointing news, but '91's are neat to collect anyway. If you want my credentials, check with "ajaan" on this site or the intro/credits for the Turner books out. I don't drop in often, but try to help with Large Cent questions.
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭
    All are LDLL based on the photos.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    syl knows his Canadian Large Cents varieties. Take what he says as correct. Bosox literally wrote the book on the subject.

This 1891 varieties drive me crazy trying to figure out. The 1859 major varieties are OK for me, the 1891 though . . .

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don