Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

ISA grading????

What is this company and who runs it? I have been seing there cards show up on ebay and the sellers are asking PSA prices for them. There is even a 51 bowman Willie Mays ISA 9 and the seller is asking 125k for it. states that it was a PSA 9 before. why in the hell would somebody cross this kind of card from a PSA holder? has anbody here ever sent a card to ISA or bought a graded card from them? here is a link to the auction of the mays card. http://cgi.ebay.com/1951-Bowman-305-Willie-Mays-MINT-ISA-9-Giants-RC-POP-1-/320527303810?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_UFC_Trading_Cards&hash=item4aa0ea8482

Comments

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Hard to believe the Mays was a PSA 9. Maybe they meant PRO 9....
  • Options
    If someone cracked a Mays Psa 9 to send to grade with Isa they need their brain examined!!

Ryan
    1938 Cartledge Boxing cards psa 7 - psa 10
    1951 Topps Red backs psa 8 only!
    1960 Golden Press Presidential set Psa 8 's - Psa 9's
    1961 Golden Press psa 9's
    1976 Topps baseball psa 9 Stars
    1980 Kelloggs baseball Psa 9's - Psa 10's
    1988-1989 Fleer Basketball psa 9's
    1988-1989 Fleer Stickers psa 9's
    1989-1990 Fleer Basketball psa 10's
    1992 Coca-Cola Donruss Nolan Ryan 1-26 Psa 10 only Gpa 9.80++ E-mail Newyork00007@aol.com
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Probably was a PSA 9 oc or other qualifier.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If someone cracked a Mays Psa 9 to send to grade with Isa they need their brain examined!!

Ryan >>

If the card reallly came from a PSA case it was probably crossed over by somebody at ISA in an effort to make them look legit.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    There's something bogus about ISA. I've seen a few bigger dealers trying to market them. Not sure what's going on.

Mickey71
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    time to reduce the psa pop from 8 to 7 i guess image
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    MAYS LINK

I would love to sit down with the individual that decided to cross this card from a PSA 9 to a GAI 9.5 and ask what his rationale was for that decision. The same thing goes for the decision to then cross over from a GAI 9.5 to a ISA 9? This is a huge card, it shouldnt be difficult to track down what "major dealer" as the listing states had possesion of this card.

All the above being dependent on whether or not any or all the information is correct in the auction descirption.

• Options

<< <i>MAYS LINK

I would love to sit down with the individual that decided to cross this card from a PSA 9 to a GAI 9.5 and ask what his rationale was for that decision. The same thing goes for the decision to then cross over from a GAI 9.5 to a ISA 9? This is a huge card, it shouldnt be difficult to track down what "major dealer" as the listing states had possesion of this card.

All the above being dependent on whether or not any or all the information is correct in the auction descirption. >>

Something REALLy fishy going on there. The seller goes By "International_Sports_Authention" (or ISA), even going so far as to say "we were very excited to see this card come across our desk", yet many of his auctions are RC cars and other toys. Has some dings to his feedback too. I wouldn't touch that card with a ten foot pole and would lay dollars to donuts is either a fake or heavily doctored.
    1930's-1950's Cleveland Indians Collector.
  • Options
    this has to be a card they are using to market there company. I have been seeing there card being listed on ebay and dealers are asking PSA prices for them. I think they wont last and are just another grading that will be out the door in less then a year
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    I just was looking at the link and I now think the card maybe legit. Did anyone notice it's Dmitri Young's card? He is a big dog in PSA 9 stuff. Why he would cross it is just mind boggling. Maybe when it was in the GAI 9.5 holder PSA wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. I guess Dmitri decided ISA over GAI which is looking like a good decision considering that GAI has gone down the crapper. GAI has lost all credibility.

Very odd to say the least.
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    This is definitely just advertising. It gets the ISA name out there and if it sells, and it most likely won't, it's a phenomenal sale. If it doesn't, it sits there gathering views, thus getting the ISA name out there. Maybe they approached Dmitri Young, he liked what he saw from their company and they worked out some arrangement.
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923

<< <i>I just was looking at the link and I now think the card maybe legit. Did anyone notice it's Dmitri Young's card? He is a big dog in PSA 9 stuff. Why he would cross it is just mind boggling. Maybe when it was in the GAI 9.5 holder PSA wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. I guess Dmitri decided ISA over GAI which is looking like a good decision considering that GAI has gone down the crapper. GAI has lost all credibility.

Very odd to say the least. >>

I was under the impression that when a card goes into the Dmitri Young collection it was never coming back out. I might be wrong. I don't know much about Mr. Young and how he collects other then the PSA wright up on his pedigree status. I am going by what other members here on these forums have posted. Maybe Dmitri picked up a Mays RC psa 10 and sold this one? I don't know. Just guessing...
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I just was looking at the link and I now think the card maybe legit. Did anyone notice it's Dmitri Young's card? He is a big dog in PSA 9 stuff. Why he would cross it is just mind boggling. Maybe when it was in the GAI 9.5 holder PSA wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. I guess Dmitri decided ISA over GAI which is looking like a good decision considering that GAI has gone down the crapper. GAI has lost all credibility.

Very odd to say the least. >>

I was under the impression that when a card goes into the Dmitri Young collection it was never coming back out. I might be wrong. I don't know much about Mr. Young and how he collects other then the PSA wright up on his pedigree status. I am going by what other members here on these forums have posted. Maybe Dmitri picked up a Mays RC psa 10 and sold this one? I don't know. Just guessing... >>

I thought the cards stay in his collection too
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    odd...I predict they will be gone within a year as well....
  • Options
    This in my mind is very fishy. I don't think it is the same card as the one in the PSA holder. If you look at the left edge. There is a larger white border on the ISA card than the PSA version. The ISA version actually "looks" better than the PSA version. Even if I had the cash, I wouldn't touch this one.
    WANTLIST
    1992 Topps FB Golds (72% complete)
    1997 Topps FB Minted in Canton (10% complete)
    1999 Topps FB Record Numbers Gold (80% complete)
    2001 Topps FB MVP Promotion (35% complete)
  • Options

<< <i>time to reduce the psa pop from 8 to 7 i guess image >>

Does the flip still say it is in Psa system for the pop report ???
    If so this makes me a little sick , who in their right minds would do this?? Anybody see the Dimitri young collection on the flip?

Also can we get psa to delete the cert number. This destroys scarcity values!

Ryan image
    1938 Cartledge Boxing cards psa 7 - psa 10
    1951 Topps Red backs psa 8 only!
    1960 Golden Press Presidential set Psa 8 's - Psa 9's
    1961 Golden Press psa 9's
    1976 Topps baseball psa 9 Stars
    1980 Kelloggs baseball Psa 9's - Psa 10's
    1988-1989 Fleer Basketball psa 9's
    1988-1989 Fleer Stickers psa 9's
    1989-1990 Fleer Basketball psa 10's
    1992 Coca-Cola Donruss Nolan Ryan 1-26 Psa 10 only Gpa 9.80++ E-mail Newyork00007@aol.com
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    I wouldn't doubt that was Dimitri's Willie Mays card. DYoung's go to guy in cards was Dave Bailey for many years. He's based in Michigan. Bailey and the owner of this new grading company use to work together in the card business buying/selling. So it makes sense that they could be using Dimitri's old PSA 9 card reslabbed in the new ISA holder for advertising purposes to promote this new ISA grading company. Ebay has a free listing special right now, no fee for listing at any starting price, so it's a free ad for them.

And actually, to those that think that crossing a PSA card to a GAI card was crazy, it happened to several thousand key vintage cards in the first two years of GAI opening up shop. Many National dealers did this including Wayne Varner. He was totally sold on Global grading at that time and liked the half point grading system they used.

Global was a very viable company at one point in time. Unfortunately they suffered from many problems and now are almost lifeless.
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    I also find it strange on the feedback going back a little

Link

That items are all $0.00, they must have been giving away cards to pad their FB...

Check out the ID history...

Link

are any of those IDs flagged? The gemmintrookies and vintagewaxpacks IDs ring a bell but I cant remember why...
  • Options
    bsavagebsavage Posts: 204 ✭✭

<< <i>I also find it strange on the feedback going back a little

Link

That items are all $0.00, they must have been giving away cards to pad their FB...
    >>

All of those $0 auctions are from 2004 and before. I believe that if you look at any feedback from that old, it will show to be a $0 item.