Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

GOETZ: K-79 Austrian Krone Pattern

K-79 Austrian 1 Krone Pattern (Probe), 1914, Struck silver, 22.8mm, 2.70g, Choice UNC, RRR

This is the reverse only as I am having one helluva time getting a decent image of the obverse with the bust of Franz Joseph. I’ll keep trying but the fields are so reflective it’s causing me problems.

I also have a bronze example of this piece. I am going to assume, based on other patterns Goetz did, that there would be a gold example that was made too. These are really tough to come by and I am just now imaging the piece even though I’ve owned it since 2004. It was one of those pieces that got put where it belonged and then I couldn’t find it because I thought it should be somewhere else.

Note the text and date are hand engraved into the hub...I think the snake too.

Comments

• Options
    Any idea on the meaning? I'm especially wondering why he has removed his crown to slay the snake?

Still thinking of what to put in my signature...
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    I wouldn't have identified this as a Goetz - except for the lettering. Was this late in his career?

Shep

1914 - I guess I answered my own questionimage
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I like it very much! Thanks for sharing!image -Dan
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was that the small "D***" version

of course I meant date imageimage
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my first photoshop

• Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Any idea on the meaning? I'm especially wondering why he has removed his crown to slay the snake? >>

I haven't a clue...I could hope that someone else would know the answer though.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Any idea on the meaning? I'm especially wondering why he has removed his crown to slay the snake? >>

I haven't a clue...I could hope that someone else would know the answer though. >>

Maybe it isn't his crown. Maybe he's defending the Crown from evil?
    "Think of the Press as a great keyboard on which the Government can play" – Joseph Goebbels

"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media" - William Colby, former CIA director
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a great theme collection and piece. Keep postin.
  • Options
    I'm starting to wonder if its something about having to completely humble yourself to defeat evil, removing all dignity including title. I'm not good with meaning but is there something like this in the bible?
    Still thinking of what to put in my signature...