Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

It's been quite a while since I bought any Darkside

Well, it's Greyside, but close enough for government work. image

I've got loads of these, but I'm always drawn to the more colorful examples.

The pictures are the seller's; hopefully it's as vibrant in hand.

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    THose Canadians do tone nicely don't they.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love those colors!
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    You crack it out and I'll fix it! Let's get that nasty tarnished/color off there ASAP~! image

I'm not really into toned coins but that one does have some eye appeal...

Nice pick up,

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Can't go wrong with PCGS SP68. I've seen wonderful examples in smaller grades.

I thought that we lost you to the Liteside.Or to your other mistress, stamps. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought that we lost you to the Liteside.Or to your other mistress, stamps. image >>

Hehe, actually I haven't been doing much with lightside coins lately either. Been slummin' with stamps. image

• Options
    Coin arrived today. It's definitely as vibrant as touted.

I took some quick pics; not overly pleased as I cannot get rid of the damned hotspots, which cause the image to be washed out.

*harumph*

• Options
    CP - what price range would a coin like this demand ?

Lima ( Formerly IlikeZARcoins )
  • Options
    This coin is considerably more colorful and vibrant than most of the others I have. Your average rank and file with some color will sell for $8-20 raw and $20-50 slabbed depending on grade.

eBay seller duffydaddy1 is insane and thinks that any with color in PCGS holders are worth $495. You occasionally get bidiots on Teletrade that will push them into the $100-250 range, but I don't know how many of those results are really sales.

The seller of this coin was asking $185, which is high. I offered $75, thinking I would not get the coin, but he accepted the offer. That's still probably high given the book value of these coins, but most coins you encounter are SP66-67, and the color on this one really is spectacular, so I don't mind paying a bit of a premium.
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    What would you have paid for the same coin with the same colors, unslabbed, just your keen eye?
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great tone.
  • Options

<< <i>What would you have paid for the same coin with the same colors, unslabbed, just your keen eye? >>

Raw, I would have spent $30 on it (assuming there was a return privilege). I think it's superior to the "average" example, so a $10 premium over the $8-20 range for raw seems justified.

Of course YMMV.
  • Options
    I've still got 8-10 of these in a deposit box in Indiana, in the original case, that I left for our son back in the late 80's
    along with some other items-Franklin half mint and proof sets, JFK halves, cased Eisenhower proofs, etc.

The toning was super when I bought them, have no idea what it's like now, but they never did reach the
    level that I thought they might.

Except, maybe, in duffydaddy's head image

Still, they were around $10 when I bought them and toned ones like the ones I've seen posted
    are, I think, a super investment at the right price.......
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply CP.
  • Options
    mumumumu Posts: 1,840

<< <i>You crack it out and I'll fix it! Let's get that nasty tarnished/color off there ASAP~! image

I'm not really into toned coins but that one does have some eye appeal...

Nice pick up,

Rick >>

Whats up with guys named Rick and not liking toners?