Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Free grading reduced and/or elimiated

It used to be anyone qualified for free grading when their set reached 90% complete; now you have to be a member and it's restricted to 3 per year:

"Free Submissions. We recognize that not every coin in every important collection has been graded by PCGS. In order to encourage participation in the PCGS Set Registry program we are offering the following free grading benefits for sets that reach 90% completion:

If the set composition is 20-49 coins you are entitled to 1 free submissions
If the set composition is 50-99 coins you are entitled to 2 free submissions
If the set composition is 100+ coins you are entitled to 3 free submissions

You should request your free submissions with the intent to either add to or upgrade your set with the coins that are being graded for free. In other words, if you request free grades for your Barber Dimes Basic Set your submission must be Barber dimes.

If your set has reached 90% complete and meets the conditions below, please contact setregistry@collectors.com with your name, address, phone number and the title & category of the qualifying set(s). Please indicate whether you would like your coins graded through the PCGS Secure PlusTM service. You will be sent, by U.S. mail, a submission form to be used exclusively for your free grades. If you wish to send coins in for different types of submissions i.e. crossover, regrade or raw, please inform us when you request your free grades as separate forms will be required. You are responsible for postage and handling for each submission.

Terms and conditions:

• Free submissions are for PCGS Collector Club members only. If you are not yet a member, click here for membership information.
• Set must be 90% complete and the composite must be 20 coins or more.
• A specific coin series can be used only once to earn free submissions (ex. Barber Dimes Date Set and Barber Dimes Basic Set are considered the same series).
• Free submissions cannot be combined with additional services (ex. Variety Attribution, First Strike Designation).
• Free submissions cannot be combined with any other submission.
• There is a maximum of 3 free grades per year.
• Coins are graded through Regular or PCGS Secure Plus services only.
• Per coin value must not exceed $3000.
• Submissions must include postage and handling fees. "
"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

Comments

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're not the only one disappointed in the sudden change of policy.

Previous thread here:

Link

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 49 coin set has to be 98% complete to for that one coin Whoopee.
    Think they just killed the program and the registry may have got a crippling blow out of it.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The truth is that the number of new sets being added daily has allowed a number of collectors who already have 90% or more of the composite sets to quickly accumulate multiple free grades. Rather than admitting they have created an unexpected situation that is impacting the for-fee grading process a better solution would be to say up front they that free grades are a low priority and they will get to them when they can even if that means months.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure PCGS was well aware of the effect of creating all the new Set Registry subsets. One effect would have been to allow a bunch of new FREE gradings. They decided that with the new Secure Plus service a PRIORITY they could not allow resources to be used for free grading. It makes sense to me. It is a business. Those who submit to PCGS for grading will continue to do so. Those who look to freebees to continue their relationship with PCGS will just drop off. The history of this company has proven WHY it is the #1 third party grading service. JMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    bushmaster8bushmaster8 Posts: 5,616

<< <i>One effect would have been to allow a bunch of new FREE gradings. >>

You got that right! Over the years I had gotten literally hundreds of free gradings. I am just surprised that it took them this long to shore up the levee...
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Well I just dropped out of the Registry game; if you have to be a member to get the free gradings, then they're not free.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson