Home Precious Metals
Options

Palladium, Rhodium & other unconventional metals in coinage?

MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
Who makes the most popular products in Palladium, Rhodium, and other unconventional metals (i.e. not gold, not silver, not platinum)
(even if illiquid, they can be the most popular among those that do actually buy them)

I'm looking at diversification into metals used in manufacturing of any sort.... even Aluminum and Copper (although I'd rather not sit on a 1/4 metric ton of either).
Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Canada makes a Pd maple that is probably the most popular coin. Behind that would be the russian balleria.

The only bullion round that Rhodium comes in is from the Cohen mint, though Kitco is really, really pushing their new rhodium "sponge" (dust).

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Palladium is made by a number of major makers -- Credit Suisse and PAMP, as well as Maple Leafs by the Royal Canadian Mint. I even have an old 1 oz. Palladium bar made by Engelhard in the 1980s. There's also some miscellaneous coinage struck by the Russians and Chinese in palladium. While not as common as platinum, there's a bit of variety. The APMEX website lists a lot of it.

Rhodium is a completely different story. I'm not aware of any Rhodium coins or bars except for some recently struck by a private company called the Cohen Mint.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    I second Second.

For what it's worth, Cohen also makes Tantalum, Niobium, and even copper bullion:
    http://www.goldfortomorrow.com/
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    The Lewis and Clark palladium bars and rounds from Stillwater Mining Co./ Johnson & Matthey are very popular. Especially the fractionals.
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

image >>

I axed a trader aboot rhodium and he was not aware that it could be coined. Only aware of it in powder form as was I. Was told that rhodium can be processed out as a by-product of nuclear fission. That's right! That rhodium you have may have been radioactive at one time (very short half-life).
  • Options
    Me being careful, I'm a bit worried about Cohen Mint and their slowness first, then the fact that Kitco/JM only do powder.

The non-powder form of the various metals is certainly tempting.

Has anyone ever assayed a Cohen Mint product?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Honestly? Buying the types of products you're talking about (strategic/rare earth metals), and even common products like aluminum and copper, with the idea of holding physical is a much greater gamble than dealing with Cohen (who I have every reason to believe is legit).

There is almost no open market for metals outside of Pd, Au, Ag, and Pt, except for your local junk yard. I doubt even Cohen will buy back their non-investment metals.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Thanks.

I'll consider the buyside market as well.