Home Sports Talk
Options

Philadelphia fans just get worse and worse.

PHILADELPHIA -- A 21-year-old New Jersey man pleaded guilty Tuesday to vomiting on another spectator and his 11-year-old daughter in the stands during a Philadelphia Phillies game.

Matthew Clemmens, of Cherry Hill, N.J., pleaded guilty to one count each of simple assault, disorderly conduct and harassment for his conduct during an April 14 Phillies-Nationals game at Citizens Bank Park.

Clemmens stuck his fingers down his throat and vomited on Michael Vangelo, an off-duty Easton police captain, and one of Vangelo's daughters after Clemmens' companion was ejected from the park, assistant district attorney Patrick Doyle said.

Clemmens and his friend were spilling beer, cursing and heckling Vangelo and his daughters from the time they arrived at their seats, according to a statement of facts read in court.

Vangelo's 15-year-old daughter asked the pair to stop the profanity, and Vangelo complained to security that Clemmens' friend was spitting, with some of it hitting his 11-year-old daughter, Doyle said.

After the friend was ejected, Clemmens was sitting alone behind the Vangelos when he answered his cell phone and said, "I need to do what I need to do. I'm going to get sick," the prosecutor said.

Clemmens then put his fingers down his throat and threw up on the father, with vomit splashing onto Vangelo's younger daughter, Doyle said.

He then punched the father several times in the head before other fans in the stands subdued him, the prosecutor said. He screamed expletives at the crowd as he was led out of the park, Doyle said.

Clemmens' mug shot showed him with a swollen black eye, and authorities acknowledged he was hit as he was being subdued. No one else was charged in the case.

In exchange for Clemmens' guilty pleas, charges including reckless endangerment and corruption of minors were dropped.

Doyle said the Vangelos were satisfied with the case's resolution and plan to attend Clemmens' sentencing, which Family Court Judge Kevin Dougherty scheduled for July 30. Sentencing guidelines call for Clemmens to get probation, Doyle said.

Dressed in a navy suit and accompanied by his parents, the defendant appeared nervous as the charges against him were read. He did not address the judge beyond quietly replying, "Yes," as the description of events was read.

Comments

• Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    Well, the vomiting part would have made more sense if it was an Eagles game...
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    Old news. Stop cluttering this board with this crap when there are already threads about it....
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    I sure wish the OP would just go away - can never seem to ever bring any thing positive to the boards. It's members like this that quite a few of the quality members of the boards have left the CU message boards. It's just not worth our time.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yo Edmund...

You have become a disaster on the boards. Not only have you been a bomb thrower towards me (until I exposed my Vietnam service and Bronze Star Award)...you have done nothing to contribute the equivalent of a rat's ass to any thread. You are an embarrassment to RSN posters, who may stick a needle in from time to time, but you just don't know when to give it up and move on.

Enough with the Philly crap and all your other nonesense. Hell, I've seen a guy or two puke in Fenway, so what, besides it's old news. Boston fans BTW can be the rudest and crudest on this planet, and I've been a Red Sox fan for a long, long, long time.

If you can't post something of merit once in a while, take up another hobby, like sewing maybe.

Sincerely,

Al - MCMLVTOPPS
  • Options
    That last two Philly stories have come from ESPN.com
    I log onto their website and copy and paste the stories. I haven't read any other stories from any other ballparks.
    Is ESPN picking on Philly fans, perhaps.
    If you don't like the stories on ESPN, then you don't click on them.
    If you don't like the threads posted on the sports talk, you don't click on them.
    Life has choices. Learn to ignore what you don't like, you'll be much happier.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly, but predictably, you just don't get it.

PATHETIC!!
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496

<< <i>
    Life has choices. Learn to ignore what you don't like, you'll be much happier. >>

If you don't like Philly fans, ignore what you don't like, you'll be much happier image

• Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭

<< <i>If you don't like Philly fans, ignore what you don't like, you'll be much happier image >>

What an enlightening concept!! I thought of the same idea, you just beat me to it.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a bull$hit thread. As if any big league towns do not have this.

JUVENILE thread. POS in other words .... image

This kind of behavior IS a problem. So is the behavior of the author of this stupid thread. Shame on you for being either DUMB enough or NAIVE enough to believe that bad apples come from Philadelphia more than Boston. Funny how so many gobble down sterotypes to the point that so many THINK they speak from some higher authority

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240