Options

2014 Super Bowl in New Jersey....

This ought to be good.

I hope it's zero degrees out and very windy

Comments

• Options

<< <i>This ought to be good.

I hope it's zero degrees out and very windy >>

NJ had a record snowfall this year, and historically the end of January can be quite cold, while historically the beginning
    of January can be a little to a lot warmer.

Fans can enjoy NY City after the Super Bowl is over. All in all a very good decision.
  • Options
    Great idea. There hasnt been a super bowl played in cold weather in nearly 40 years. Will be an advantage for cold weather teams like green bay, pittsburgh, cincinnati, new york, etc.

I hope there is a blizzard image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see Sanchez hoisting the trophy above his head now!! image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, a brutal cold weather game would be interesting to me - that's football...I wouldn't mind that one bit if it happens.

And congrats to NJ/NY on the Super Bowl - I like the idea of giving other teams the opportunity to host, and hopefully maybe one day Philadelphia can have the honor of hosting a Super Bowl.
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭

<< <i>maybe one day Philadelphia can have the honor of hosting a Super Bowl. >>

Keep dreaming. What's next? Denver? Buffalo? Green Bay? Cleveland? Soldier Field?

It's not a playoff game that decides who goes to the Super Bowl - it's the Super Bowl - watched globally - and determines the Champion. I'd rather see a game that is not impacted by the elements but by who the better team is on a normal playing field. It's a very, very bad idea!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>maybe one day Philadelphia can have the honor of hosting a Super Bowl. >>

Keep dreaming. What's next? Denver? Buffalo? Green Bay? Cleveland? Soldier Field?

It's not a playoff game that decides who goes to the Super Bowl - it's the Super Bowl - watched globally - and determines the Champion. I'd rather see a game that is not impacted by the elements but by who the better team is on a normal playing field. It's a very, very bad idea!! >>

<<< What's next? Denver? Buffalo? Green Bay? Cleveland? Soldier Field? >>>

Yes, I would like to see all that. Football is not a "warm weather" sport. If a team can't win in the "elements" and that day it happens to be an inclement weather day, then that season they don't win a Super Bowl. If a team can win in the elements then they deserve to win a Super Bowl - that's my opinion.
  • Options
    And in comparison, I think playing MLB baseball in late October on a very chilly night is worse for the type of game, than playing NFL football outdoors in cold inclement weather.
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    "I'd rather see a game that is not impacted by the elements but by who the better team is on a normal playing field. It's a very, very bad idea!!"

Playoff games in January leading up to the Super Bowl are sometimes played in very cold, wintery conditions, if you
    are worred about the better team winning should these games all be played in warm weather locations as well?
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭

<< <i>"I'd rather see a game that is not impacted by the elements but by who the better team is on a normal playing field. It's a very, very bad idea!!"

Playoff games in January leading up to the Super Bowl are sometimes played in very cold, wintery conditions, if you
    are worred about the better team winning should these games all be played in warm weather locations as well? >>

A playoff game doesn't decide who the champion is, the Super Bowl does - I would just rather see a clean game to decide it and not have it potentially impacted by the elements. FWIW, I'm a Steelers fan - a cold weather city.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I do not like the idea of playing the game at the end of January outdoors.
  • Options
    Overall, I feel the fun and interest in allowing all the different cities to eventually host the Super Bowl, outweighs the other factors.
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496

<< <i> Football is not a "warm weather" sport. >>

Then why is most of the talent from warm weather states?
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    This was the NFL saying thank you to the Mara family for all they did in helping pool the TV revenues when they had the #1 market. This is most probably just a one-off rather than something that will be a regular rotation.

The worst part was watching Woody Johnson acting like he and the Jets really had anything to do with this...

It's too bad that Papa Tim and sons Jack and Wellington didn't live long enough to see this, but then again, they wouldn't have allowed the PSL's for the new stadium, either.
  • Options

<< <i>Overall, I feel the fun and interest in allowing all the different cities to eventually host the Super Bowl, outweighs the other factors. >>

AGREED! In all of the other major pro sports, the big games are held everywhere. Should be the same for football. Every city should be able to host a super bowl. Makes it more interesting. And i love watching football games played in bad weather. Especially a snow storm.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New Jersey Weather Records and Averages
    source: The Weather Channel

Month Avg. High Avg. Low Avg. Precip. Rec. High Rec. Low
    January 41.0° F 23.0° F 3.60 in 78.0° (01/24/1967) -10.0° F (01/17/1977)
    February 44.0° F 25.0° F 2.85 in 75.0° (02/24/1985) -11.0° F (02/12/1979)
    March 52.0° F 32.0° F 4.06 in 87.0° (03/30/1998) 5.0° F (03/10/1984)
    April 61.0° F 40.0° F 3.45 in 94.0° (04/27/1969) 12.0° F (04/01/1969)
    May 71.0° F 50.0° F 3.38 in 99.0° (05/29/1969) 25.0° F (05/11/1966)
    June 80.0° F 59.0° F 2.66 in 106.0° (06/28/1969) 37.0° F (06/12/1980)
    July 85.0° F 65.0° F 3.86 in 104.0° (07/03/1966) 42.0° F (07/01/1988)
    August 83.0° F 64.0° F 4.32 in 100.0° (08/15/1988) 40.0° F (08/31/1965)
    September 77.0° F 56.0° F 3.14 in 99.0° (09/11/1983) 32.0° F (09/30/1969)
    October 66.0° F 44.0° F 2.86 in 90.0° (10/05/1959) 20.0° F (10/31/1988)
    November 56.0° F 36.0° F 3.26 in 81.0° (11/01/1974) 10.0° F (11/23/1989)
    December 46.0° F 27.0° F 3.15 in 75.0° (12/29/1984) -2.0° F (12/26/1980)

I will be rooting for a monster blizzard, just to make my recliner feel that much more comfortable. image Got no dog in the fight, but I guess they should spread the thing around, surely it's a big boost to the local economy.

• Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    "A playoff game doesn't decide who the champion is, the Super Bowl does"

A playoff game still decides who gets there, saying the weathter doesn't matter if it effects how they got
    there but it does in the super bowl does not make much sense.
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    If a team can't hack the cold weather at the super bowl they should quit the NFL and join a flag football team and maybe use nerf balls so that nobody gets hurt. As for the fans attending...invest in a good winter coat.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    ddfamfddfamf Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Love the idea - 32 teams, one team's city gets a Superbowl once every 32 years.

• Options

<< <i>Love the idea - 32 teams, one team's city gets a Superbowl once every 32 years. >>

Yes, that means approximately 2 or 3 times in one's lifetime, a person gets to enjoy the pleasure of their team hosting the Super Bowl - That makes a lot more sense to me for fan interest. Why should just a few cities always get the pleasure of hosting a Super Bowl? The major revenue for the Super Bowl is in the TV ratings - I don't think that would appreciably change no matter which NFL city is hosting.

Maybe on a snowy, inclement weather game the stadium would lose a few fans and sell less hot dogs, but perhaps they'd sell more beer to make up for it. image
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    This is awesome...what about the Pro Bowl (now played on the same site the weekend before the Super Bowl)? Who the F is going to want to attend that in 25 degree weather? Nevermind the attendance...what PLAYER is going to be ok with playing in that crap. I know the Pro Bowl is meaningless but Goodell can't have it both ways.
  • Options

<< <i>This is awesome...what about the Pro Bowl (now played on the same site the weekend before the Super Bowl)? Who the F is going to want to attend that in 25 degree weather? Nevermind the attendance...what PLAYER is going to be ok with playing in that crap. I know the Pro Bowl is meaningless but Goodell can't have it both ways. >>

Comparing the extremely popular exciting Super Bowl to the lowly dull Pro Bowl? Come on now...
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Tell me, who here would have wanted to see Manning vs. Brees in 15 degree weather with swirling winds? Not me. There's a reason why they call it a "neutral field". This is a HUGE advantage to the cold weather teams. A championship shouldn't be decided by the elements.

Also, what happens if there is 2 feet of snow, and fans literaly cannot make it to the game, or the game starts to a half empty stadium because fans are getting there late? I know the odds are remote, but the odds are ZERO of it happening in a warm weather city.

I won't even get into the fan experience, which is a nightmare of epic proportions. There are probably fans in San Diego and Miami that would need to spend $300 in winter gear just to go to the game!
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This is awesome...what about the Pro Bowl (now played on the same site the weekend before the Super Bowl)? Who the F is going to want to attend that in 25 degree weather? Nevermind the attendance...what PLAYER is going to be ok with playing in that crap. I know the Pro Bowl is meaningless but Goodell can't have it both ways. >>

Comparing the extremely popular exciting Super Bowl to the lowly dull Pro Bowl? Come on now... >>

As usual, you totally missed the point. Do internet message boards just take people's ability to inference things away?

The point of my post was that there are other factors besides the three and a half hours of actual game time that matter when award a Super Bowl. It's not just the parties, it's not just the Pro Bowl, it's not just the NFL Experience (the kids thing outside), or the halftime show. It's not just media day. It's everything.

The Super Bowl in New York is a bad idea.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Comparing the extremely popular exciting Super Bowl to the lowly dull Pro Bowl? Come on now... >>

As usual, you totally missed the point. Do internet message boards just take people's ability to inference things away?

The point of my post was that there are other factors besides the three and a half hours of actual game time that matter when award a Super Bowl. It's not just the parties, it's not just the Pro Bowl, it's not just the NFL Experience (the kids thing outside), or the halftime show. It's not just media day. It's everything.

The Super Bowl in New York is a bad idea. >>

<<< As usual, you totally missed the point. Do internet message boards just take people's ability to inference things away? >>>

Sometimes, but especially when a vague point is made from someone who doesn't post much on Sports Talk. I never took any courses in "mind reading" LOL

But you're right about "it's everything" which is exactly why your comment "The Super Bowl in New York is a bad idea" contradicts your own point in my opinion. When including "everything" then having the Super Bowl in New York and different cities is a great idea, and I feel would overall be more profitable for the NFL. Perhaps the NFL is beginning to see it this way as well.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

The Super Bowl in New York is a bad idea. >>

<<< As usual, you totally missed the point. Do internet message boards just take people's ability to inference things away? >>>

Sometimes, but especially when a vague point is made from someone who doesn't post much on Sports Talk. I never took any courses in "mind reading" LOL

But you're right about "it's everything" which is exactly why your comment "The Super Bowl in New York is a bad idea" contradicts your own point in my opinion. When including "everything" then having the Super Bowl in New York and different cities is a great idea, and I feel would overall be more profitable for the NFL. Perhaps the NFL is beginning to see it this way as well. >>

BTW: If you prefer a nice clean friendly sporting event played in nice sunny warm weather with a time clock, may I suggest soccer?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i> >>

BTW: If you prefer a nice clean friendly sporting event played in nice sunny warm weather with a time clock, may I suggest soccer? >>

Yep. NFL playoff games are often played in bad weather. It hasnt hurt the sport any and neither would a super bowl in bad conditions. I get tired of seeing the super bowl played in the same 5 stadiums year in and year out.