Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

PSA 1 versus Authentic-- Help Please

Greetings--

I am looking to possibly pick up a raw card for a set I am working on. My goal is to have the card grade at least a PSA 1 (relatively low standard). The card in question though has a pinhole that is not very noticeable on the front but more so on the back. From an eye appeal perspective, it detracts next to nothing on the front (more important to the grades I believe) but looks a bit more nasty on the back. Here is the PSA 1 standard:

PR 1: Poor

A PSA Poor 1 will exhibit many of the same qualities of a PSA Fair 1.5 but the defects may have advanced to such a serious stage that the eye-appeal of the card has nearly vanished in its entirety. A Poor card may be missing one or two small pieces, exhibit major creasing that nearly breaks through all the layers of cardboard or it may contain extreme discoloration or dirtiness throughout that may make it difficult to identify the issue or content of the card on either the front or back. A card of this nature may also show noticeable warping or another type of destructive defect.

Reading the above, it does note that a PSA 1 card can be missing one or two small pieces and this particular card does appear to fit that description. I guess what I really don't have a grasp on is what really drops a card down to just authentic. My sense is that the card has to be missing a large amount of cardboard, or trimmed, in order to drop down that far.

I would appreciate any thoughts from the group to further learn the distinction between the two levels. Thanks.

Matt

Comments

• Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    I love pinholes! image

IMO Id take a pinholed card over a heavily creased or surface scuffed card any day.

Cant tell you if it should get an "A" or not unless we can see the card.

Without the pinhole, what grade would it be? G, VG, EX, NRMT, etc.

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Authentic are ungradable cards because of alterations such as flatning,coloring EX 71 Topps,53 Topps,trimming anything done to a card intentionally to alter its appearance.Torn parts would give you a 1 at best.There are some real nice cards graded Authentic however because of the tampering they recieve no numerical grade.I have sold some of my cards that came back as Authentic because of trimming and had no problem selling them.Some folks want to buy rhe older vintage Authentic because of the great saving they recieve and have no intention of entering them on any registery.I believe they can be entered in your registry however no points are given.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Pinhole=automatic 1. Authentic can be entered in registry set, it will be scored as a 1. Criteria differences between "A" and a grade mentioned in above post. Good luck.

-Howard