Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1853 French Napoleon III Gold medal...Help!?

This was in a collection I looked at today...is it actually gold? What's it for? It has a mount on the top of the obverse and is in medal alignment.

Thanks!

-Paul

Comments

• Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Anyone? I think it might bc a medal presented by the French Government to someone in their Navy. But I don't know French so this is purely speculation based on the box it came in (which ill post a picture of later.)
  • Options
    gummibeargummibear Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    I had a couple gold ones that were agriculture medals. The obverse was similar. What are the edge markings? I will have to find my old pics to see what markings mine had.

Richard
  • Options
    The edge has a little hand pointing to "OR" I'm assuming that means it's gold?

-Paul
  • Options

The silver ones that I've seen are stamped "argent" with the pointing hand or other stamp, I've never seen a gold one but "or" would be consistant with gold. Have you weighed it?
  • Options
    I have not...I don't have a scale, unfortunately.

-Paul
  • Options

I looked for an example of that one in Mitchiner's book but couldn't find it. That would have helped us with some info, but the guide isn't fully comprehensive and only lists ones he has previous references of. Sorry I couldn't help further.
  • Options
    It's fine. Do you at least know what the medal was for and/or says on the reverse?

Thanks!

-Paul
  • Options

Hmmm...near as I can figure it's for Matthew Florio, an Austrian naval captain how helped the French navy? There are certainly better sources for a translation than I image but that's what I decipher from it. What do you say, guys? Am I close?
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    I believe the 'pointing hand' is a privy mark for the engraver. Another from that era (Paris mint) is a greyhound head.
  • Options
    Interesting...I really need to find out more about this medal before I can even think about selling it though...

-Paul
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He apparently helped French sailors in distress.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting...I really need to find out more about this medal before I can even think about selling it though...

-Paul >>

If not already familiar, here's a Napoleanic Resource
  • Options
    Thanks for the link! I still don't see it though. I emailed the webmaster though. Hopefully he can help.

-Paul
  • Options

<< <i>I had a couple gold ones that were agriculture medals. The obverse was similar. What are the edge markings? I will have to find my old pics to see what markings mine had.

Richard >>

What were the markings on yours?

-Paul
  • Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    The Pointing Hand edge mark was used from June 23, 1845 to Oct. 31, 1860. And yes OR does mean gold. See both on this page -

Director and Engraver Edge Marks of the Paris Mint

But I can't help with anything else. Although I would suggest putting the writing on the reverse as a phrase into Google. I always find out things about French medals that way.
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Naval Ministry

To Mathieu Florio
    Captain in the Austrian Navy

[For] aid given to French sailors in distress

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Great looking medal, what size is it?
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    It's about the size of a half dollar I'd say...Pretty thick too.

-Paul