Home Precious Metals
Options

Best place to buy 1 gram silver bars?

Ebay is loaded with them but they sell them 1 at a time to make a killing on shipping scams. I'd like to buy 1-3 ounces worth but keep cost around the same as the 1 ounce bars. Anyone reccomend a place for them? These are for personal use and not for the aforementioned ebay scam/resell. I want some of these myself and would also like to give them away as gifts to family et cetera. They make a cool little trinket for kids and a good way to get young ones interested. I'd love to get a hold of the ones with the buffalo design on them or some kind of indian design. Nothing fruity like I love you bars or Pokemon. Anyone have a source?

Comments

• Options
    CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405
    CMC Mint has them. Here.

I don't like those bars though. JMO
  • Options
    AboutAgAboutAg Posts: 201 ✭✭

<< <i>CMC Mint has them. Here.

I don't like those bars though. JMO >>

And, they may or may not be real silver. They are the ones that came up with the '1 ounce .100 mills pure silver' and '1 ounce 100 mills pure silver' junk (using a term 'mills' they made up, that presumably is a misspelling of 'mils'; yet '.100' and '100' are very, very different numbers). Those 1oz bars sell on eBay for about $8-$10 (probably from people who are betting they are real silver), yet have a whopping $.04 of silver in them (on them).

The bars/rounds I have seen from them that they claim are pure silver (excuse me, composed in their entirety of 100% .999 pure silver) are about 3% underweight, which makes them highly suspicious (I am not aware of anyone who has tested them; one person was going to use an XRF machine he had access to, but unfortunately either didn't do it or never posted the results).

And, for those that don't know, the CMC Mint products are made in China (but sold through a paintball company in Canada, with a warehouse in New Jersey, US).

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If giving these as 'gifts', why not use BU dimes? Bought the same size and what, like 900% cheaper.
  • Options
    mumumumu Posts: 1,840

<< <i>If giving these as 'gifts', why not use BU dimes? Bought the same size and what, like 900% cheaper. >>

Everyone has seen a dime. Not very exciting.

Any other sources of these?
  • Options
    meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 751 ✭✭✭
    One gram ROUNDS at:

Monarch Silver

It's nowhere close to spot, but they do have promo codes at their homepage.
  • Options
    CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405
    Cohen Mint and Monarch have some 1-gram rounds. Nothing cheap though.
  • Options

<< <i>One gram ROUNDS at:

Monarch Silver

It's nowhere close to spot, but they do have promo codes at their homepage. >>

Thanks for the link but looks like they only have 1 gram rounds, no bars.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If giving these as 'gifts', why not use BU dimes? Bought the same size and what, like 900% cheaper. >>

Any other sources of these? >>

Why not do 1/4oz or halfs then? A few more options for not much more money in comparison. If you find anything under an oz for remotely close to spot jump on it, although I'm hard pressed to think those deals are anywhere out there.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Any other sources of these? >>

Why not do 1/4oz or halfs then? A few more options for not much more money in comparison. If you find anything under an oz for remotely close to spot jump on it, although I'm hard pressed to think those deals are anywhere out there. >>

I have been thinking this was the bestter idea. Would still like to have a few 1 grammers as novelty but may buy some 1/4s instead. This is not for hoarding purposes. That may devalue the quality of the question i suppose.
  • Options
    meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 751 ✭✭✭
    With exception of ebay... I couldn't locate 1 gram silver bars.

5 gram bars was as close as I could find: Northwest Territorial Mint (nwtmint.com) link wasn't working properly.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate you want *just* 1-gram bar ideas. Excuse me for suggesting yet another idea that is not what you're looking for, but...

Eagles. Or 1-oz bars. Seriously. They've got much more bang for the buck. And since even the highly suspect 1 gram bars on the market will run you $5 or more each with shipping...you might just be better off with a handful of 1 oz bars.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

<< <i>I appreciate you want *just* 1-gram bar ideas. Excuse me for suggesting yet another idea that is not what you're looking for, but...

Eagles. Or 1-oz bars. Seriously. They've got much more bang for the buck. And since even the highly suspect 1 gram bars on the market will run you $5 or more each with shipping...you might just be better off with a handful of 1 oz bars. >>

For invesmtent purposes I agree 100%. I actually prefer foreign coin silver in MS condition for my long term buillion investment which can be had within decent reach of spot prices for series' that havent caught on and I hoard a couple of these aready. And I know that 1-10-100 oz bars are the way to go with bars. Was just hoping to find the best deal on 1 gram bars for purposes other than investing, without getting the shaft.
  • Options
    I would consider the CMC link a soultion to my question, EXCEPT that the silver content is called into question. I dont mind taking a 1 time hit on value since as I mentioned its a novelty purchase. But I do now what to pay for chinese iron if thats what they are selling.
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    1 gram? I would figure the markup would be big on fractional silver that small.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I appreciate you want *just* 1-gram bar ideas. Excuse me for suggesting yet another idea that is not what you're looking for, but...

Eagles. Or 1-oz bars. Seriously. They've got much more bang for the buck. And since even the highly suspect 1 gram bars on the market will run you $5 or more each with shipping...you might just be better off with a handful of 1 oz bars. >>

Agree. Silver bars smaller than one ounce usually carry a very high premium over their melt value. If you want small units of silver, buy 900 fine pre-1965 silver dimes, quarters, or halves.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>

Agree. Silver bars smaller than one ounce usually carry a very high premium over their melt value. If you want small units of silver, buy 900 fine pre-1965 silver dimes, quarters, or halves. >>

Man on the other end those PAMP Suisse bars are seeing some crazy premiums too. Was gonna pick up some of those but they are well over spot even in 1 oz sizes of silver and gold.