Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Interesting coin in change today

Went to DQ for ice cream today (a hot one here, 95 F/35C today). In my change was a holed 1937 French Indo-China 10 Cent coin!

Considering that one of the largest communities of Hmong is here in town I suspect this coin came off of one of their traditional costumes.
R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
Collecting:
Conder tokens
19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm

Comments

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cant argue with that none to much, nice catch
  • Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    Since so many designs were introduced in the last few years of USA coinage, The number of foreign coins from the corner store has increased tenfold. I guess this is because people here in the USA have gotten used to the idea of different coinage and just don't pay attention to their change. In the last year I have six Cincuenta (25) centavos from Mexico, Thirteen Canadian quarters, Five Panama quarter Balboas, Three Veinte centavos from Cuba and two "ten" pence from across the pond. I also have many coins of the Cent size, mostly Canadian but a few thrown in from the Bahamas, Barbados, Panama etc. I buy all of their foreign coins at face value (based on size). I love this little store where the kids hang out, I never know what will show up on Saturday when I check in! BTW, I also buy all US silver that shows up here at what the local B&M store sells them for (helps keep the guys and gals looking at the coins). They get retail...

Rick

Oh Yeah! Nice find!!!!!!!!!!! I do not have one of those from a change find (yet)~!
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a 10c coin from the Cayman Islands masquerading as a nickel about two weeks ago. Frankly it is all this messed up cent, nickel and quarter designs. Now I don't even bother to look at them unless they look old, ie over 50 years old and need to go to my retirement home for elderly coins.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received this Euro cent in change this month from a California CVS (Longs) drug store:

Euro 1 Cent 2007-F (Germany)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

Curiously when I come across Euro cents, it is the 2c variety and usually France or Germany. The 1c's are smaller than our cent so they get noticed - it is the 2c's that resemble ours much more closely. I have gotten Panamanian, Bermudan, Bahamian, Philippines and Mexican coins as cents.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
    That said I know that I have accidentally spent Ukrainian 5 kopeck coins as quarters at least once. My friends in Ukraine bring me all their coins that accumulated and hand them off to me when they come for visits, and well I happened to have some in my change when I had to buy some goodies and some of them disappeared.

A couple of my odder finds were in the airport in Kyiv, I found a 1964 US cent and a 2008 British penny lying on the floor there. Ukraine is kind of funny, unless the coin is larger like a 25 or 50 kopeck people will just leave them on the ground.
  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    You guys who are finding this stuff are lucky. I rarely find anything other than Canadian cents.

A few months back I did get a Bahamas five cents, and my mom recieved a Panama quarter equivalent. But other than that, it's been years since I got anything non-Canadian. (Being close to the border and spending a lot of time in a popular hangout for Canadian vacationers certainly hasn't hurt my Canadian collection image Usually nothing more than cents, though.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Great find. Although it strikes me as unlikely that it went unnoticed by both parties of the transaction. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3