Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Plus grading now with both major services

NGC has just announced Plus grading as well, though David Hall's announcement told us beforehand that PCGS and NGC had been in touch with each other about the Plus grade, in order to ensure industry-wide acceptance. (One wonders how ANACS or ICG fit into all of this.) PCGS isn't sharing the scanning technology featured in Secure Plus grading; David Hall cites concerns about disgruntled shareholders if they flat-out gave away proprietary hard-earned technology, patents, and rights. But, he said that the two companies did both intend to add Plus grading.

Today, NGC announced their Plus grading, so it's official, and both companies' population reports/census report Plus grades. Unlike PCGS, though, NGC has made Plus grading automatic with all submissions. You don't pay extra, and you don't have to opt in or get to opt out. You don't get the benefits of the coin's "background check." (though there has been considerable debate about who benefits from the Secure Plus scanning and database checking) But, where PCGS proclaims caution, "testing the waters," NGC has embraced review and consideration of Plus grading on all of their submissions across the board, from high end rarities to budget end submissions--though with the exclusion of moderns past 1964. I've also noticed that unlike PCGS, NGC made no mention of excluding MS60 or 61-graded coins; their Plus grading runs from XF45 to MS68, with the same criteria as PCGS: coins at the top end, almost qualifying technically for the next grade, with at least average eye appeal or better.
Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.

Comments

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The evolution of the coin grading scale continues...
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Shouldnt they figure out how to consistently grade within the current scale before they break it down into smaller increments? image
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cant wait to see how this plays out with the set registry competitions for the year. It will be very interesting!!!
  • How is the NGC + different from their star?
  • DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still dont understand why the plus isnt used for normal grading at PCGS. If this is to be the norm in the grading system, why do we have to pay extra for the consideration? I understand paying for the scan and the technology, but omitting the plus for normal grading convolutes the entire idea of getting everyone on line with the new system.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• I agree about having to pay extra for the consideration of the Plus. I'd like it to be like NGC, included with every grading. I'm also hoping that the scan becomes an industry norm, and that NGC offers to buy licensing to use the same technology as PCGS. The scanning technology only works if it's universal; given the option, coin doctors will invariably opt out. Right now, the system as is only benefits collectors who are buying coins already in a Secure Plus holder; it's not a real benefit to the coin submitter, and arguably a drawback if one is playing the upgrade crack-out game.

The NGC star is strictly an acknowledgement of special eye appeal, independent of grade. A plus is a coin at the top end of the grade, with at least average eye appeal. The star recognizes coins that have something special above and beyond their technical grade, like spectacular rainbow toning or an unusually great luster well above what would be expected for a coin of that grade. PCGS has no direct counterpart to the star. Still; star or no star, coins with superior eye appeal tend to command prices well above what their technical grade would indicate in the guide books.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I still dont understand why the plus isnt used for normal grading at PCGS. If this is to be the norm in the grading system, why do we have to pay extra for the consideration? I understand paying for the scan and the technology, but omitting the plus for normal grading convolutes the entire idea of getting everyone on line with the new system. >>

If you read Don Willis's answers to questions regarding the new secure plus service you will see that PCGS will eventually combine secure plus into their regular service. Initially, they KNOW lots of dealers and big users will be WILLING to pay extra to get the coins into the secure plus holders. By 2011 I believe they will allow all levels to use all services.
    Steveimage
  • DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could honestly care less if PCGS scans my coins or not. I think using different grading standards based on the service level you pay is perplexing. Ex:If I submit a coin that is a very high end 65 and it wont plus, simply because it is on a regular submission form, than what good is it to change the grading system in the first place?
    Im not tryin to stir the pot, just asking a simple question.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• The Secure part adds vaule when it is applied to all coins right now its not good but its not bad. Coin doctors can still get around it but using the regular service.