Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I Just don't get it......

Sure it's called 1/1, but my goodness over $10,500....
2010 BOWMAN CHROME SUPERFRACTOR STEPHEN STRASBURG 1/1

Comments

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Here's what I don't get:

Assuming a case of this product is $1000 (I have no idea if that's right or not, just throwing it out there), and assuming this card sells for $15K, then this truly once-in-a-lifetime hit only paid off at 15:1. If someone paid $1K for a scratch-off and hit for $15K it wouldn't even make the back page of the news. When someone hits a 15:1 in a case of cards it becomes the story du jour, which I guess tells you something about how badly the odds are stacked against someone when they break a case of modern product.
  • Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    Best part was he had it at a BIN of $20K. Still a crazy price.
    Boopotts - a case is ~$1000-$1,300 depending on when you bought them (cheaper if preordered). But your analogy is a little off as there are many other cards the $1,000 'ticket' will give you a shot at...its not all or nothing. This crazy part is this just happens to be the 2nd best card you can get from these cases...the auto'd version would be the best obviously. Crazy buyer either way. You can buy some very nice cards for this coin.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    not to mention, it's 1/1 but it will never be well centered... the superfractor I got last year in a pack also took eye appeal away from the image in my opinion.
  • Options

<< <i>not to mention, it's 1/1 but it will never be well centered... the superfractor I got last year in a pack also took eye appeal away from the image in my opinion. >>

I don't know about centering, but I think this years cards aren't the best looking....the superfractor's are kind of ugly, and agree they detract from the cards visual appeal. I really like the 2006 chrome refractors (Upton, Longoria, Lester rookies)...think they are the sharpest I've seen.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    TrevmoTrevmo Posts: 201 ✭✭
    This is another reason I am not into modern that much. The companies start pumping out these "1 of 1" cards and that's where the hype is. Sure, the winner of the auction will pay 10+ thousand dollars but the card will only decline in value over time. How many "up and coming" pitchers have we seen come and go due to injury, lack of ability in the majors, etc? I would spend the 10 grand on quite a few different items.
    Collecting Ozzie Smith PSA 10's, 1949 Bowman PSA 5's, and 1949 Bowman PCL'S in any grade!
  • Options

<< <i>Best part was he had it at a BIN of $20K. Still a crazy price.
    Boopotts - a case is ~$1000-$1,300 depending on when you bought them (cheaper if preordered). But your analogy is a little off as there are many other cards the $1,000 'ticket' will give you a shot at...its not all or nothing. This crazy part is this just happens to be the 2nd best card you can get from these cases...the auto'd version would be the best obviously. Crazy buyer either way. You can buy some very nice cards for this coin. >>

I didn't mean to suggest that this was the only hit worth something. Just like a scratch-off, there are smaller prizes and then, of course, a grand prize. What I thought was interesting was that the grand prize pays 15:1, and people are stumbling all over to announce what a 'sick pull' this was.

That is interesting, though, that this isn't the best card in the product. I had no idea there were auto'd versions of superfractors in addition to un-auto'd copies. I'm sure the sparks will really fly when the auto'd version comes up for sale.
  • Options
    Boo, I hope you don't think I was broadcasting that this was a sick pull.... My opinion is far from that

In my opinion this type of modern stuff is a joke. poorly centered... no eye appeal... somewhat identical to the base common card other than an imprinted pattern that makes the image harder to see... no telling that the corners are perfect either.

To me there is absolutely no justification for this card to sell for much more than the identical base one. I wish the card markers would stop producing this crap so they can upsell the price of their product on a gimmick. This is why I spend most of my time in vintage.
  • Options
    deleted by me
  • Options
    I think the overproduction of the '80's and early 90's is the only reason for this craziness surround low #'d cards...and it allows the companies to charge that much more for even less cards per pack.

Boo - gotcha on the scratchoff...makes sense when you put it that way.
  • Options
    Could not agree more with the three posts above mine. Nothing to add except that I find a certain appeal to owning a vintage card that was probably owned by collectors who enjoyed collecting for the sake of collecting. There's something sort of poetic about wondering whether my dad, who would have been 9 at the time, owned any of the cards in the 1965 Topps set I'm building. Granted, he used to put his cards in his bike spokes (AAGGGHHH!!!), but maybe he traded away his Roger Maris to a buddy (who treasured the card) in exchange for 20 cards he could put in his bike spokes.

If you enjoy collecting for the sake of collecting, I can't imagine wanting to spend $10,000 on a 1/1. As others have noted, you can get a lot of other great stuff for that kind of price.
  • Options
    deleted by me
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I find interesting is the poor centering on a hand selected 1/1 that went into a pack.
    Mike
  • Options
    lkk66lkk66 Posts: 106 ✭✭
    That is actually my auction, I pulled it in a case break from a case I preordered for $750.00. Love it or hate new stuff and 1/1s, I for one am not complaining and knew I hit the biggie when I saw it.
    Email: leo.kim66@gmail.com
  • Options
    ZixxZixx Posts: 228 ✭✭
    The last three Bowman (not Chrome) orange (numbered to 25) Strasburg auto's sold for $1500, 2250 and 3000

Not even Bowman Chrome, but regular Bowman . . .

I, like probably the majority here, can't fathom why anyone would pay that. But when Strasburg makes his first start (June 4?) and if these same cards sell for $4-5K, the current buyers will be the ones laughing all the way to the bank. THOSE buyers. . . wow. I don't have an explanation, other than just some deep pocket collectors who don't care what happens. They wanted it at a particular moment, thus, they bought it.

But those oranges and this superfractor will drop drastically once Bowman Chrome comes out with Strasburg's auto on Chrome cards. Who would want a regular Bowman auto when there's a Chrome auto?

And yes, as was brought out already, there's tons of really good hits in this years Bowman and Bowman Chrome. Not so much at the current box prices, but a lot of value when you get a good box.
  • Options
    ZixxZixx Posts: 228 ✭✭

<< <i>That is actually my auction, I pulled it in a case break from a case I preordered for $750.00. Love it or hate new stuff and 1/1s, I for one am not complaining and knew I hit the biggie when I saw it. >>

Can't be any complaints directed toward the seller, but for a buyer to pay that much? Doesn't really make good business sense. But 100% of people on these boards sure wish they had it to sell.

Gratz to the pull of your life image
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Boo, I hope you don't think I was broadcasting that this was a sick pull.... My opinion is far from that

In my opinion this type of modern stuff is a joke. poorly centered... no eye appeal... somewhat identical to the base common card other than an imprinted pattern that makes the image harder to see... no telling that the corners are perfect either.

To me there is absolutely no justification for this card to sell for much more than the identical base one. I wish the card markers would stop producing this crap so they can upsell the price of their product on a gimmick. This is why I spend most of my time in vintage. >>

No justification for this to sell for much more than the identical base one? Really? Imagine if the 52 Topps Mantle had several recognized variations that were much more rare than the "normal" 52 Topps Mantle. You don't think the low population variations would be worth more than the others? I'm pretty sure they would be. "Refractor" is just an intentional modern form of variation.

With modern cards and with the technology and printing processes that go into making modern cards, the odds of something occuring during the maufacturing of the card that would truly make it "more rare" than others is pretty low. Refractors etc. is just a modern way to add a variation aspect to sets that wouldn't normally have them, due to more precise manufacturing and printing processes. And for modern collectors, I don't think they care whether the variation is intentional or unintentional. What matters is "more rare" vs. "less rare". Evidently superrefractor = "more rare"

-Michael
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Sad thing (for winner) is....

Even if Strasburg becomes the best pitcher in ML history, this sale will be the most it will ever sell for.

Thats if some clown with zero feedback doesnt ruin auction in last second.

There is no up side with that type of $$ on a brand new intentionally rare ("pseudo-rare") card for a guy who has never pitched a pitch in Majors.

In 3 years it will be the poster card for "Over spending on hype" IMO

Isnt there some signed 1/1 red border Strasburg hype card coming soon too??

PS to seller, good for you selling it right away while the hype is at its peak.
    (If you get paid) Put that $$ into some rare vintage type cards, flip, and buy a house in 5 years. image
  • Options

<< <i>No justification for this to sell for much more than the identical base one? Really? Imagine if the 52 Topps Mantle had several recognized variations that were much more rare than the "normal" 52 Topps Mantle. >>

Michael... I appreciate the response, but do you realize there are two variations of the 1952 Mickey Mantle? They aren't graded separately. I'm not sure anyone can give us a good pop estimate on each of the two varieties...

• Options

<< <i>Boo, I hope you don't think I was broadcasting that this was a sick pull.... My opinion is far from that

>>

Ha! Well, I guess we'll have to part ways on that. Anytime you can take the proceeds from the sale of a card you pulled from a pack and buy a new Ford Fusion off the lot I think you've satisfied all the established conditions to have said pull categorized as 'sick'.
  • Options

<< <i>That is actually my auction, I pulled it in a case break from a case I preordered for $750.00. Love it or hate new stuff and 1/1s, I for one am not complaining and knew I hit the biggie when I saw it. >>

congrats on the pull. I would be doing the same thing with it you did if I were to have pulled it =)
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>No justification for this to sell for much more than the identical base one? Really? Imagine if the 52 Topps Mantle had several recognized variations that were much more rare than the "normal" 52 Topps Mantle. >>

Michael... I appreciate the response, but do you realize there are two variations of the 1952 Mickey Mantle? They aren't graded separately. I'm not sure anyone can give us a good pop estimate on each of the two varieties... >>

OK, I used a bad example to make my point. I was really just trying to point out that I don't think modern collectors care that that the "rarity" in superrefractors etc. is man-made. They don't differentiate between intentional-rare vs. unintentional-rare. The value is solely based on rare, defined by any means.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    All modern at some point have cards that are overvalued. Anyone check out the price of an SP Authentic Vince Carter RC lately. Once booked for 1k, now well under a hundred. LeBrons cards are headed that direction. This card will top 12-15k and wihting 5 years, even if he wins 5 Cy Youngs, will only be valued at half that
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the seller for cashing in.

Is there a single example of a modern card that has held its value over time? Tiger Woods cards, Bonds, Griffey, Lebron, Favre, Pujols...I could be wrong but I think all their cards have peeked and crashed over time. If someone knows of a modern card that has continued to hold its value over time, I'd be interested to know what it is. It's not a criticism but a curiousity since I don't collect the modern stuff.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

<< <i>But your analogy is a little off >>

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭
    Two words: Mark Prior. Remember him? Another can't miss phenom. Should a similar injury fate befall Strasbourg, this card and millions like it will be available for a dime a dozen.
  • Options
    Looks like the story had made its way to Yahoo:

Link

The price is crazy, but it's this kind of madness that makes the hobby fun to observe (and, to an extent, in which to participate).
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember those Tiger Woods Pro-graded rookie cards selling on Shop at Home for 20K back in the 90's - now they're on ebay for 50 bucks and they sit there unsold. That's a warning about investing in high dollar modern cards.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    This example is what makes me want to throw up.This is not a hobby but a lottery.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Looks an awful lot like a late 70's/early 80's Kellogg's card to me. Maybe it should be in my Frosted Flakes.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    minnesotahuskerminnesotahusker Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like the story had made its way to Yahoo:

Link

The price is crazy, but it's this kind of madness that makes the hobby fun to observe (and, to an extent, in which to participate). >>

Well this story just confirms that this card will end up at an even more crazy price with a "buyer" having 0 feedback. Congrats!! If I were the seller, I'd end it early with a bid from a "legitimate" higher feedback bidder.

Seller, are you paying attention?
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Strasburg has been dominant so far, but Tim Lincecum was even more dominant before he got called up in 2007. However, Lincecum never got this kind of hype while he was destroying AAA.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Looks like the story had made its way to Yahoo:

Link

The price is crazy, but it's this kind of madness that makes the hobby fun to observe (and, to an extent, in which to participate). >>

Well this story just confirms that this card will end up at an even more crazy price with a "buyer" having 0 feedback. Congrats!! If I were the seller, I'd end it early with a bid from a "legitimate" higher feedback bidder.

Seller, are you paying attention? >>

The seller has been doing a fine job of weeding out some potential problems, check the bid history and see.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

<< <i>congrats on the pull. I would be doing the same thing with it you did if I were to have pulled it =) >>

Sounds like you do get it.

:-)

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Nice pull (pack and auction wise).

I am a 1/1 fan, or at least very pro 1/1, and tend to pick up a few from football products here and there.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    lkk66lkk66 Posts: 106 ✭✭
    I am trying to weed out potential bad bidders but it has gotten so crazy that I can not even tell anymore. And fyi I heard CNN and the Jay Leno show may be talking about this card over the next day or two which will just make it more stupid
    Email: leo.kim66@gmail.com
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Jay Leno? God help me. As soon as I read that, I had the image of that anvil-jawed, squeaky voiced moron standing there on stage saying, "Did you hear about that baseball card selling for over $10,000?"

I threw up in my throat a little.
  • Options
    leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191

<< <i>Two words: Mark Prior. Remember him? Another can't miss phenom. Should a similar injury fate befall Strasbourg, this card and millions like it will be available for a dime a dozen. >>

being a Cubs fan please do not bring up the name Mark Prior image
  • Options
    Why would anybody collect cards from a card set where their are 1/1 when just one person can truly have a complete set,whats the point! The goal of a lot of card collectors is the collect a complete set but if only one card is made in that set only one person can truly have a complete set.
  • Options
    UlyssesExtravaganzaUlyssesExtravaganza Posts: 495 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why would anybody collect cards from a card set where their are 1/1 when just one person can truly have a complete set,whats the point! The goal of a lot of card collectors is the collect a complete set but if only one card is made in that set only one person can truly have a complete set. >>

Set collecting is still popular. But a new way of collecting has emerged and appears to have enough of a market that the card companies continue to design product this way. Scarcity. I've got the only one. Mine is better than yours. Bragging rights. LOW POP. 1/1, 1/5, 1/25. Red ink vs. blue ink. Etc. I'm interested in the scarce older cards that are scarce because of condition/grade but don't have much interest in the modern market. Clearly somebody does though. Wow on that price. Congrats on the pull.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    $17,500

wow
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    The dummy is not the person who buys the case hoping to hit it big with a card like this. The dummy is the idiot who buys it.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    chutzpah!
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    For $17,500 you could buy the 67 Topps all PSA 8 set listed on the BST. But somebody wants a card of a dude who stands a good chance of not having as good a career as Jamie Moyer?

<facepalm>
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    sure. i'd go with the 67s because i love the set.

but buying or selling it won't get me any publicity, a pat on the back, ESPN schwag, a date with Giselle Bundchen or my own e-Trade commercial. image
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Who's Steven Strasburg? Sorry I don't follow Baseball anymore.
    Has he won like the last three Cy Youngs or had a bunch of 25 win seasons? Truly, I never heard of this player. Anyone care to post his major league totals so I can judge his talent?

Good for the seller. I hope he makes a mint on this modern card too.
  • Options

<< <i>Who's Steven Strasburg? Sorry I don't follow Baseball anymore.
    Has he won like the last three Cy Youngs or had a bunch of 25 win seasons? Truly, I never heard of this player. Anyone care to post his major league totals so I can judge his talent?

Good for the seller. I hope he makes a mint on this modern card too. >>

21 years old
    Major League Totals
    0 innings pitched
    0.00 ERA
    0.00 WHIP
    0 Strikeouts
    0 Walks
    0 Wins
    0 Losses

He's been phenomenal in the minors this year.... carrying an ERA under 2 in AA and after promotion only allowing 1 Earned Run in 3 starts at AAA. While allowing very few hits or walks and striking out many. I'm not sure he's even thrown over 75 pitches in a minor league game yet though... His last game he threw around 56 pitches...

He's supposed to be called up to pitch his first game June 4th. Held off til June by the Washingont Nationals, mainly to keep him from becoming arbitration eligible sooner.

He's got 3 Plus pitches and great command for the strikezone. He appears to be a future Ace. Of course, pitchers are the riskiest position in baseball and succumb to injuries at such a high rate.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The card will never be worth this much again unless he manages to win 400 games. Even then, I'd take the 'under' bet.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What I find interesting is the poor centering on a hand selected 1/1 that went into a pack. >>

Mike, that is the first thing I noticed...

Hope he pans out...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I heard Todd Van Poppel was the high bidder
  • Options

<< <i>I heard Todd Van Poppel was the high bidder >>

I love Van Poppel.... if not for him refusing to play for the Braves and threatening to go to college if they drafted him, they would've never gotten Chipper Jones. Thank you Mr. Van Poppel.