Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Mercury Dimes Complete Variety Set

keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
I will apologize in advance. I'm new around here. I am just trying to learn from the advanced collectors. I hope to make some good contacts and friends. I look up to those that are more knowledgeable than me and I certainly have great respect for the fine sets that have been assembled. Regardless of budget, it is hard work to put some of these sets together. Amazing!

1. I have a few nice Mercs and am thinking about playing the Set Registry game....although it will likely take me a lifetime to put together a complete set that I am proud of... My challenge is that I have "Bought the coins, not the holder" so to speak....and I have a number of coins in NGC and ANACS holders....and then a few that are not slabbed at all....so getting them all into the PCGS holders could be a considerable expense that I really just assume spend on more coins. I am sure some of you have had the same challenge and I am interested in how you approached the problem. A couple of my coins are either Finest Known, tied for Finest Known, or Second Finest Known(across PCGS, NGC, ANACS)...so it is not like I can just go swap the coin for another at the next local coin show.

2. Also, in studying PCGS's Mercury Dimes Complete Variety Set I have noticed that some varieties are not even included...and this begs me to ask the question, why? I noticed the following missing: 1937 DDO(in The Cherrypickers' Guide), 1941-S DDR(in The Cherrypickers' Guide), 1942 DDO, 1943-D DDO, 1945-S Possible S over D FS-511(in The Cherrypickers' Guide). I happen to own three of these in the list, so naturally I would want to include them in my "Complete" Variety Set assuming I venture into this challenge. Two of the coins are in ANACS holders and one is not slabbed. If I sent them to PCGS to cross them over, would they be the first in existence in PCGS holders and then added to the "Complete" Variety Set and also added to the PCGS population report?

3. Anyone know anything about when the Cherrypickers' Guide Fifth Edition VOLUME II might come out? The Fourth Edition came out in 2006. Fifth Edition Volume I came out in 2009. I can't wait for this Fifth Edition...I hope it is in the works...I hope it comes out soon!!! I know there are a TON of updates needed.

Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

Greg
"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Comments

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greg,

Welcome to the boards and welcome to the Mercury Dime collecting people. I collect all dimes as you can see by my sets (link to complete set is in my sig line) which means I collect Mercurys. I have a set in the Mercury Complete dime set, but do no have all of my varieties in holders yet. I too would like to see the other varieties of all dimes to be included in the Complete variety sets. I have ask that they use The complete Mercury Dimes book by David Lange for Mercurys and Brian Greers book on Seated Dimes for those and David Lawrence's book for the Barber Dimes.

Again WELCOME!!!!

Jon
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Jon! I am a huge fan of your Dime sets(I have to frequently wipe the drool off of my keyboard)...been lurking on PCGS and on the forums for a little while now.

I need to buy David Lange's book, just have not gotten around to it yet. I bet my eyes would really be opened....at the same time I might be terrified at the number of dimes I need to find...and find the cash for... Yikes!

***Here is an interesting item to think about and I might post this as a separate topic to get broader feedback.***
    I just got a 1943-D MS67 FSB DDO dime. It is in an ANACS holder. It is real. It does exist! But if you go to the ANACS population report, the dime does not exist! Not sure if it is the finest known, one of only a couple known, or one of a million known. That kinda affects value...duh! I called ANACS. They verified the coin as valid via the serial number. I asked about the population report and the girl that answered the phone(while chewing food in my ear) told me that not all varieties get posted in the population report. I was like, WHAT?!!? She went on to say that they have never had a complaint about this before. I was like, WHAT?!!? How could they not? If only 10 exist of a variety as opposed to say 1,000 existing of a variety....do they think there might be a difference in value somewhere? I got an email back from Paul A. DeFelice Vice President, Client Services and Marketing and he said "Errors and Varieties are often not in the pop report, however, they are recorded in the general population." My only possible response to this is WHAT?!!?

How does NGC and PCGS work? Do they assign everything properly in the population reports or do they just put the stuff in randomly like ANACS? If I send this coin to PCGS will they put the variety on the holder and add it to the population report properly? To quote PCGS recently, they have an interest in unleashing value(something like that with their Secure + announcement), not destroying the crap out of it(although I understand there have been a number of folks that have lost money).

Thanks for your wisdom,

Greg
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greg,

You need to turn your PM on.

To answer your question. Yes, PCGS list the varieties in their pop report. If you are a member you can look at it.

The 1943-D you have is not in the PCGS sets or CPG or David Langes book. I have never seen or heard of a 1943-D DDO. But that does not mean they do not exist. Could you post a pic of it showing the doubling? I would like to see it and I'm sure Tony (fcloud) would also.
    I customized/modified my profile so hopefully PM will work now? I like Tony's sets as well....darn it....I just drooled on my keyboard again.

The photos from the seller that I have are really bad....he likely scanned the slab. I decided the price was right for the risk I took....I will have the coin by the weekend hopefully and I will post fresh as a daisy photos then.
    Here is a list of a couple variety toys I have ...and hope to get some of them into PCGS holders so I can play in the Registry Set playground properly.

1928-S Large S MS62 FSB (PCGS) **I believe this to be the 2nd Finest Known
    1936 DDO MS63 FSB (Estimate by me...not in a holder)
    1937 DDO MS63 FSB (ANACS)
    1940 S/S/S/S RPM AU (Too crappy to slab I imagine)
    1941-D DDO & DDR MS66 FSB (NGC) **I believe this to be tied for the Finest Known
    1942 DDO VF-35 (Estimate by me...not in a holder...and too crappy to slab most likely)
    1942/41 D F-15 (NGC)...will upgrade soon!
    1943-D DDO MS (Estimate by me...not in a holder)
    1943-D DDO MS67 FSB (ANACS) **I believe this to be the Finest Known
    1944-D DDO MS (Estimate by me...not in a holder)
    1944-D/D RPM3 MS65 (ANACS)
    1945 Micro S MS65 (PCGS)...will upgrade soon!

I hope to upgrade a few of these...BIG TIME...in the coming months....along with cross over a few into PCGS holders. I also hope to purchase a few other good variety toys so I can "TRY...and likely fail" to catch up to some of you.

Greg
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Greg, welcome to the message boards. Thanks for drooling over my set, and I am taking that as a compliment.

PCGS doesn't recognize some of these at this point. I would recommend not sending in anything which is not required in the current set, at this point, or they will come back as regular coins (been there done that). Save them for when they are added. My current goal is to complete the set in any grade, so if you run across a 1935 S/S or a 1945 D/ Horizontal D, please offer them to me.

If you have some in the PCGS holders already you should start your set, so we can watch it grow. image

At the early stage of the game I would say you can slab at any grade. I have slabbed some coins knowing they would "Genuine" but finding some of these is so tough "Genuine" is perfectly acceptable with me. I'm sure you noticed some of my varieties are circulated coins, some AU and some MS. I put close up images of my coins in my set to help others searching for varieties.

Good luck and have FUN!

Edited to add one of my been there done that coins.

1942- Inverted S (it has been published that this coin will be in the next CPG).

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Greg,

Welcome to the boards where there are several Merc-lurkers here. Good luck in crossing and developing your set. You certainly are already very knowledgeable about this great series.

Garrow King

<< <i>Greg, welcome to the message boards. Thanks for drooling over my set, and I am taking that as a compliment.

PCGS doesn't recognize some of these at this point. I would recommend not sending in anything which is not required in the current set, at this point, or they will come back as regular coins (been there done that). Save them for when they are added. My current goal is to complete the set in any grade, so if you run across a 1935 S/S or a 1945 D/ Horizontal D, please offer them to me.

If you have some in the PCGS holders already you should start your set, so we can watch it grow. image

At the early stage of the game I would say you can slab at any grade. I have slabbed some coins knowing they would "Genuine" but finding some of these is so tough "Genuine" is perfectly acceptable with me. I'm sure you noticed some of my varieties are circulated coins, some AU and some MS. I put close up images of my coins in my set to help others searching for varieties.

Good luck and have FUN!

Edited to add one of my been there done that coins.

1942- Inverted S (it has been published that this coin will be in the next CPG).
    >>

It would have been rude(and costly) for me to drool on your coins had they not been in beautiful plastic protective holders. image Very Cool Inverted S! I would have missed that. I think if I have questions about if a variety from NGC/ANACS will cross over with the variety noted I will be sure to contact PCGS first. I like learning from the "challenges" of others. Yipppeeeee! I just do not understand why PCGS doesn't include all of the ones in CPG....I know they have to draw the line somewhere but the book I have was published in 2006. It seems PCGS is running a bit behind the times.

What's the word on the next CPG to come out? Anyone know the latest on that?

Maybe I will raid my bank box this weekend so I can take a few photos and start the set....with the 2 PCGS coins I do have. Gotta start somewhere. Thanks!

<< <i>Greg,

Welcome to the boards where there are several Merc-lurkers here. Good luck in crossing and developing your set. You certainly are already very knowledgeable about this great series.

Garrow King >>

Thanks Garrow.
  • Speaking of varieties, this week I found another 42/41-D in VF in a tub of 90% silver. Again, good luck in getting all of your varieties recognized by PCGS.

Garrow
  • Is there a variety on the mintmark of the 31-s? I have a 31-s and I really feel like it is doubled/squished/something... no idea...

I will try to link it... But is there one that exists?

John

<< <i>Is there a variety on the mintmark of the 31-s? I have a 31-s and I really feel like it is doubled/squished/something... no idea...

I will try to link it... But is there one that exists?

John >>

John,

Here is what a 1931-S DDO looks like.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• FC-
    I am more concerned with anything pertaining to the mm. I did not look at the date but the mm looks "off." just does not seem to fit the coin at first glance... Under a loupe (I think I need a bigger loupe) I see something but not sure what....

John
    Post an image if you can.

John- I am only aware of the 31-S DDO as well. Sadly, I do not own one...yet! According to CPG there is doubling in the date and In God We Trust. Tony's pic serves the purpose quite well. Nice!....very very Nice!

As for my 1943-D DDO MS67 FSB (ANACS), I received confirmation that it was shipped to me today. Hope to have it by the weekend...so I can take pics. I am not sure how minor it is since I believe I own TWO of them in MS condition now....although, I cannot say for certain that the doubling is the same. I hope to produce pics and post them this weekend. I will take pics with DSLR, 105mm Macro lens coupled with a 2x Teleconverter....and new pretty lighting system....fingers are crossed. I am not 100% certain about the one I currently have(not slabbed) that is why I am anxious to compare. I also bought a 20x loupe today since I only had a 10x before. An electron microscope with imaging capabilities hooked up to a computer would be a nice thing to have....it would take all this squinting away. It would be nice to have TWO of them. Maybe Tony will want to trade an Inverted S or some other exotic thing he has for my spare? Ha ha ha ha. image
    Ok, here are the 43-D DDO "scans" from the seller...obviously some unattractive toning(all the more reason it would not be a 67 with PCGS) on the obverse but I really think they are bad scans on top of that, not photos but it is all I have until I get the coin in hand in a few days. It looks like there might be doubling in the R of Liberty and in the 3...but that is all I can make out.... I am willing to take risks once in a while.