Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

an item on ebay wondering about

Hey there,

Its been a long time since I have been on here. I had taken a break from coin collecting due to studying and finances, and have been getting back into it.

Anyway, I have a query about this ebay selling....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/metal-detector-finds-/170489441161?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27b1f66b89&autorefresh=true

I cannot decide on the george the IIII coin....it kind of looks like a 'two pounds' gold coin which is quite valuble. However, the nose looks abit big (maybe a knock or fake??)...

What do you think? What coin is it?

Thanks for the input

Ash
Doc: "Marty! I didn't invent the time machine for financial gain. The intent here is to gain a clear perception of humanity. Where we've been, where we're going. The pitfalls and the possibilities. The perils and the promise. Perhaps even an answer to that universal question, why?"

Comments

• Options
    Link

Does not look like a legit 2 pound to me

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54
    LochNess and ProfHaroldHill

• Options
    ncc74656ncc74656 Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Thank you for making the link Muy.

Thanks for the reply, I thought it looked abit funny myself.
    Doc: "Marty! I didn't invent the time machine for financial gain. The intent here is to gain a clear perception of humanity. Where we've been, where we're going. The pitfalls and the possibilities. The perils and the promise. Perhaps even an answer to that universal question, why?"
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I'd stay away from this one.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    The "1 charles the farthing" looks legit but the other two "gold" coins are not. The detail although similar isn't correct if you compare it with a genuine one.

They may have been made using a lower carat of gold but are most likely copper gilded.

Here's a genuine 1823 £2 I used to own: