Home Precious Metals
Options

Best way to sell scrap jewelery?

Whats the best way to sell under 100 grams of scrap 18k and 14k, simple chains and pendants et cetera, and get as close to spot as possible? Or is it better to sell as pure jewelry on ebay if the items are not broken?

Comments

• Options
    BST board or take it to a coin/jewler and ask what price per gram they pay, then compare.
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Midwest refineries at 95%

I just received a nice check for placer I had. I checked four local places when prices broke $1100 for their offers which went from 650 to $1250 for the lot. Midwest's check was $1986.00. I figured 2K from the beginning because I have the assey of .92 fine done decades ago. One guy swore it was 10K stuff and I was getting the best deal around. For Midwest, I've got more on the way.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    I have to agree with 66tbird on Midwest Refineries. I had shopped a bunch of 14k bezels and other jewelry around to local places and the BST and no one came close to what Midwest paid me.
    Why sell it to someone whose is going to send it to a refinery when you can send it yourself?
  • Options
    If the items are not broken, why not offer them on BST? If you don't gain acceptance at what you consider to be a fair price, you can always send them to EBay. If you don't get your reserve their, send them to Midwest. But please, let us know here how it goes so that we too may learn and benefit from your experience.
    Many, many perfect transactions with other members. Ask please.
  • Options
    sumrtymsumrtym Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    I hear very positive things on Midwest, but the couple of times I've seen people post it seems the final weights were about 10% off when pre-weighed. Now, I understand there should be some loss (2-4% max) and that jewelry could have some different results from stones or joining pieces, etc., but this was on nuggets of a certain purity that was already known I believe. Anyway, just saying, it seems like when I've seen the mailed in weight vs. the weight before / final from Midwest when people post them, it looked like they were claiming too high a metals loss in the process to me.

Does anyone else have results on this or care to chime in?
  • Options
    mumumumu Posts: 1,840
    Well I sold a piece that had a little kink in its armor to a member here named KISHU1 who is offering what I consider very fair pricing. The other 2 items are going to ebay after the holiday as they are in the form of good condition jewelry. I had less stuff than I originaly thought thanks to a family member visiting a pawn shop agasint my knowledge. Oh joy. Im sure she got a great deal there too.
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    How much difference is there from appraised value, insurance amount versus retail or what one would expect to actually get for an antique bracelet, 10K gold and 108 sapphires?
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".