Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

How much of a monster is the 69 baseball set?

I've stopped and started on this set twice. How strong is the market, and are low pops. still getting good dollars? Looking for some opinions before I jump in for maybe the 3rd. time.
Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.

Comments

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought of doing the set in PSA 8 a while back, but the Lou Brock kept me from diving in. I dont know what they go for now, but they used to sell for exorbitant prices.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    U running entire gauntlet,
    including wl variations?

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    The 1969 set is awesome. I say go for it. I just auctioned off a bunch of low pop cards and they all closed pretty strong, around average VCP or higher. One good thing about collecting that set is you'll have no problem selling them in the future. It's a very popular set. Probably my favorite post war set. Here's a shameless plug but I have an ass load for sale in my store.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have an ass load for sale in my store. >>

Not the best figure of speech, but I get the point. image
  • Options
    TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 400 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the input, and NO I do not plan to do the white letter variations.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought of doing the set in PSA 8 a while back, but the Lou Brock kept me from diving in. I dont know what they go for now, but they used to sell for exorbitant prices. >>

I paid about $1000 a few years ago for one. You may not have to pay that much for an 8 but would probably pay a premium for one well centered. Centering, as we all know, is a bear for '69s.
  • Options
    LOL, yeah I'm used to other boards where we can swear all we want. This board is hard to use because I'm used to not censoring myself.
  • Options
    is there a psa 9 brock to date btw?

i used to love her,
    but it's all over now...

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>is there a psa 9 brock to date btw?

i used to love her,
    but it's all over now...

j >>

"Mick",

There are 5 Brocks at a PSA9 with qualifiers and 1 PSA 9 NQ. No 10s...
  • Options
    anybody seen a scan of the lone psa 9 nq?

i agree w/ steve,
    it's not like there is going to be an estate auction with people busting 69 topps left adn right!!!

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    You can pick up a ton of 8s in 1969 for not much more than the grading fee.
  • Options
    you can BUT there are a lot of deceptivly tough cards in high grade psa 8-9.

Especially in the third series, take a look at the Beckett graded card invesor guide
    In the USA all men are created equal but some are more equal than others....
  • Options
    mojorobmojorob Posts: 392 ✭✭
    What is the story behind the third series?
    How come it is so tough?
  • Options
    as mentioned in a previous thread, the third series was for some reason out a shorter period of time than then others, about a week shorter. a previous thread lists some of the more difficult cards.
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You can pick up a ton of 8s in 1969 for not much more than the grading fee. >>

That may be the case for Series Six and Seven, but not the others.

I'm in the process of auctioning an almost-complete set of PSA 8s, and every one of the cards has gone for well over $5 (which is the number I usually figure means 'grading fee'). I'm holding my breath on the 6th and 7th series, though...

• Options
    ?
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding the PSA 9 Brock, 'Treetop' had it graded and 'Gaspipe' originally purchased it. I believe it went for $4,500. I think 'Gaspipe' has since sold the card and I'm not sure who owns it now. Maybe Spence? The 8's are selling for less than they were at the peak. I think the recent ones have been selling in the $400-$600 range but I'm just going by memory.

The set is much easier to build now than when I completed mine 5-10 years ago. At that time, cards like Radatz, Shannon, Satriano, Hundley, Harrelson, Tresh, McDaniel, Peterson and Kevin Collins among others were selling for $100+ in PSA 8. Most of these can now be had for under $100. Good luck if you decide to jump in and build the set again.
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    I did have the Brock in 9 and it was worthy of the 9. The Kekich in 9 was also in my possession but truthfully it was a dog. It should of been in a 7 holder. Each of the 4 corners has rub on them. Horrible grading job on such a tough card. I took a bath on that one. Spence does have the Brock now.
    As for the 3rd series. It had nothing to do with short time or delays, it was a fire in the warehouse that damaged and destroyed a large portion of the product waiting to be shipped. I remember the fire from when I was a kid. Thats the reason for the low amount of mid -series cards.
  • Options
    SOM,
    6th and 7th series are not tough at all in 1969. Its the 3rd series and the 400 numbers that can give you fits.
  • Options

<< <i>SOM,
    6th and 7th series are not tough at all in 1969. Its the 3rd series and the 400 numbers that can give you fits. >>

Agreed. In fact the 7th series is probably the easiest of them all. Aside from a very few semi challenging cards, most have very high populations in PSA 9.
  • Options
    Geez, I must've written my remarks awfully poorly.

I thought I was conveying that the 3rd series was the tough series, and that the 6th and 7th series were so easy that I was "holding my breath to see if I'd even get back my grading fees."

I am in total agreement with you all! How did I manage to come across as such an ill-informed dope??

Nick
  • Options
    TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 400 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I did have the Brock in 9 and it was worthy of the 9. The Kekich in 9 was also in my possession but truthfully it was a dog. It should of been in a 7 holder. Each of the 4 corners has rub on them. Horrible grading job on such a tough card. I took a bath on that one. Spence does have the Brock now.
    As for the 3rd series. It had nothing to do with short time or delays, it was a fire in the warehouse that damaged and destroyed a large portion of the product waiting to be shipped. I remember the fire from when I was a kid. Thats the reason for the low amount of mid -series cards. >>

Thanks for the info Bob. Nice to see you on the boards. For anyone who doesn't know, Bob is one the top 69 collectors ever.
  • Options
    I remember when I had the only Radatz in 9!. Frank Robby is 9 as well, and the second Yaz in 9. Those were the days.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    ah the memories, those were the days indeed.....this is and probably always will be my favorite set as well.....quite surprised that after all this time, some of the cards which i had graded a few years ago and subsequently sold as "the 1 and only" still exist today, including:

516 Weaver PSA 10
    580 Northrup PSA 10
    585 Swoboda PSA 10

all still 1 of 1......pretty amazing considering the seemingly greater amounts of 6th and 7th Series cards, and the tons of PSA 9's make me wonder why someone else hasn't tried to bump one by now.....there are others in the lower population which have emerged to most everyones "common" knowledge, so the pursuit of a quality set of cards for this year will always be a fun challenge.

i do know that i would love to be the first guy to slab a Mike Andrews in a 10 holder.....i was only the third person to get a 9. image
  • Options

<< <i>

i do know that i would love to be the first guy to slab a Mike Andrews in a 10 holder.....i was only the third person to get a 9. image >>

I got my Andrews PSA 9 from Bob when it was a pop 1. It still resides in my set today. I kinda wish I had picked up the Satriano 9 as well. I may try to get mine bumped to an 8.5 some day.
  • Options
    I had just about all the tough ones early. Then sold the majority of the set to Dave and Ron. Thats alot of years ago.
  • Options
    Michael aka zodiacmindwarp still collect 69s?

When i began recollecting cards and more specifically 69 topps back in 04,
    he was a great help to me.

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    Hi All, yes had the original Brock in 9. still only one. Have a frank robinson in 9 up om ebay now. Bidding already up to $260 with 3 days to go.
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    this is cool......i don't visit this forum very much because i don't maintain any registry sets, but it's nice to hear from a few of the prominent players on 69s, kinda like a free pass to the All-Star Game.

• Options
    agreed, better than having a thread asking if we even had a baseball card in the shape of a Rhombus, or what kind of bread crumbs do you use when you bake your baseball cards.

• Options
    ah the 1969 set, great design, nice clean front, also the pastel colors in the circle make for great appeal without taking away from the card, especially the pastel blue (braves, angels) yellow (cards, tigers) and magenta (Red sox pirates) and grey (phils, indians)

by the way - new collector, good luck on getting a kekich.......
  • Options

<< <i>Radatz, Shannon, Satriano, Hundley, Harrelson, Tresh, McDaniel, Peterson and Kevin Collins among others were selling for $100+ in PSA 8. Most of these can now be had for under $100. >>

I just sold a Lindy McDaniel PSA 8 a few months ago for $200. Here some of my recent sales from a couple weeks ago:

#68 Dave Duncan PSA 8 - $87
    #269 Al Weis PSA 8 - $68.50
    #313 Bill Robinson PSA 8 - $102.50
    #192 Jose Pagan PSA 8 - $47.00

Not too bad. I thought the Robinson would go higher but pretty happy overall. It's a strong set for tough cards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Radatz, Shannon, Satriano, Hundley, Harrelson, Tresh, McDaniel, Peterson and Kevin Collins among others were selling for $100+ in PSA 8. Most of these can now be had for under $100. >>

I just sold a Lindy McDaniel PSA 8 a few months ago for $200. Here some of my recent sales from a couple weeks ago:

#68 Dave Duncan PSA 8 - $87
    #269 Al Weis PSA 8 - $68.50
    #313 Bill Robinson PSA 8 - $102.50
    #192 Jose Pagan PSA 8 - $47.00

Not too bad. I thought the Robinson would go higher but pretty happy overall. It's a strong set for tough cards. >>

That's a strong price for the McDaniels. It's good to see. The Robinson was another card that was tough to find. It used to sell for $200-$300 back in the day. One card I was always intrigued with is the Davenport. It never struck me as a particularly difficult card and used to sell for <$50, yet it's sold in recent times for $400 and $200 in PSA 8. That's more than it's historically sold in PSA 9.
  • Options

<< <i>Hi All, yes had the original Brock in 9. still only one. Have a frank robinson in 9 up om ebay now. Bidding already up to $260 with 3 days to go. >>

Mark, you should see $500-$600 for that card. I sold an 8.5 recently for $230. Good luck with the auction. That's one of the tougher star cards in the set to find in high grade.
  • Options

<< <i>by the way - new collector, good luck on getting a kekich....... >>

John...didn't I just sell you a 7.5 Kekich the other day?

Nick
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve Hamilton sells well in PSA 8 too. At the beginning of 2009 I sold a Hamilton PSA 8 for $225.
  • Options

<< <i>ah the 1969 set, great design, nice clean front, also the pastel colors in the circle make for great appeal without taking away from the card, especially the pastel blue (braves, angels) yellow (cards, tigers) and magenta (Red sox pirates) and grey (phils, indians) >>

Those are the exact same color schemes that Topps used for the 1966 cards. The color inside the 69 circle is the exact same color for each team as the trim of the 66s!