Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

drastic change in Registry Set free gradings

DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed that in the last few days PCGS drastically reduced the number of free gradings it gives for 90%+ completion of a Registry Set? For instance, it used to be that a set consisting of 5 coins (Morgan dollar mint mark type set, for example) qualified for 1 free grading. Now, however, a set must contain at least 20 coins to qualify for 1 free grading. I'm still hunting around to see if I can find the old free gradings breakdown, but here's the new one that's posted on the website:

If the set composition is 20-49 coins you are entitled to 1 free submissions
If the set composition is 50-99 coins you are entitled to 2 free submissions
If the set composition is 100+ coins you are entitled to 3 free submissions

When in doubt, don't.

Comments

• Options
    Another Bummer Looks at the new rules also

Free submissions are for PCGS Collector Club members only. If you are not yet a member, click here for membership information.
    • Set must be 90% complete and the composite must be 20 coins or more.
    • A specific coin series can be used only once to earn free submissions (ex. Barber Dimes Date Set and Barber Dimes Basic Set are considered the same series).
    • Free submissions cannot be combined with additional services (ex. Variety Attribution, First Strike Designation).
    • Free submissions cannot be combined with any other submission.
    • Coins are graded through Regular or PCGS Secure Plus services only.
    • Per coin value must not exceed $3000.
    • Submissions must include postage and handling fees.

• There is a maximum of 3 free grades per year.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure it used to be 1-9 coins was 1 free grade
    10-24 was 2 free grades
    24-49 was 3 free grades.

I know these because last week I sent in my email request to get my free grading certificates, but got an email yesterday saying PCGS was revamping the free grading benefit and that I would hear more next week...

I would hope that my initial request via email would still be honored, but the email I received didn't sound too promising... sure, it was a free benefit but i'm pretty disappointed in this as I waited to use this benefit until I had a couple of sets up to 90%. And then, within days after making my request for the benefit, it looks like I may not receive it. Keeping my fingers crossed though until I hear for sure.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You had a shot at Pedigrees if you were 90% complete and in the top 5, but not anymore.
    You could get a graders comments on your coin, but not anymore.
    You could earn up to 5 free grades for large sets and submit as many in a year as you liked, but not anymore.

Help me out here folks, I am sure I am missing something.....

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    CalebCaleb Posts: 739

<< <i>Free submissions are for PCGS Collector Club members only. If you are not yet a member, click here for membership information. >>

Do dealers have to become "Collector Club" members? image

• Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Bummer, we were considering crossing many of our seated dollars and using the free gradings for the last few (assuming most crossed...) but not anymore. Our set will remain a mix of PCGS and NGC holders for the forseeable future now...
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    It was fun while it lasted.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    This is dreadful news. I had accumulated another 25 free gradings. I've been planning for weeks to get the best value I could for these submissions. I really think PCGS should announce that these changes are coming 1/1/2011. That gives us Registry set owners a fair shot at receiving the benefits we have accumulated. Heck, I've had freebies that I chose not to use right away, but knew they were available. They have been snatched away from me, with no warning. And with only 3 free gradings a year, I'll probably die before I get to submit all my freebies. This really irks me.

RegistryNut image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

Hey wait....................I've never used the free grades so I guess I'm not really missing it. But it is a big change.

I wonder why? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Use to be:

1-9 1 free
    10-24 2
    25-49 3
    50-99 4
    100+ 5

I had about 20-30 saved up! imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>This is dreadful news. I had accumulated another 25 free gradings. I've been planning for weeks to get the best value I could for these submissions. I really think PCGS should announce that these changes are coming 1/1/2011. That gives us Registry set owners a fair shot at receiving the benefits we have accumulated. Heck, I've had freebies that I chose not to use right away, but knew they were available. They have been snatched away from me, with no warning. And with only 3 free gradings a year, I'll probably die before I get to submit all my freebies. This really irks me. >>

I'm in total agreement. I had also been "saving up" multiple similar sets for quite a while whose free gradings could be sent to me on a single invoice, rather than having them send me many individual forms for just one coin. I realize that we're talking about a FREE benefit here, but making a DRASTIC change to a longstanding program, with no warning whatsoever, is so unlike the classy way PCGS typically does business.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    CalebCaleb Posts: 739

<< <i>

<< <i>This is dreadful news. I had accumulated another 25 free gradings. I've been planning for weeks to get the best value I could for these submissions. I really think PCGS should announce that these changes are coming 1/1/2011. That gives us Registry set owners a fair shot at receiving the benefits we have accumulated. Heck, I've had freebies that I chose not to use right away, but knew they were available. They have been snatched away from me, with no warning. And with only 3 free gradings a year, I'll probably die before I get to submit all my freebies. This really irks me. >>

I'm in total agreement. I had also been "saving up" multiple similar sets for quite a while whose free gradings could be sent to me on a single invoice, rather than having them send me many individual forms for just one coin. I realize that we're talking about a FREE benefit here, but making a DRASTIC change to a longstanding program, with no warning whatsoever, is so unlike the classy way PCGS typically does business. >>

I’m a YN and new to the boards but have been reading hear for awhile plus have a few sets in the Registry. I would like to point out a few things:

1) Not sure you could call this a “FREE” benefit, when you had to buy or pay grading fees for several coins before you are able to use it. To me, it was figured into the cost of the sets. I mean if you have a set with 200 plus coins required for the completion then you used to get the last 5 coins graded at no cost, basically a 2.5 percent savings in grading fees for the scenario giving. Now it is basically a 1.5 percent savings of the grading fees for the scenario above. If the set requires only 100 coins, then it has dropped from a 5 percent saving to a 3 percent in fees.

2) It used to a benefits for all set Registry participants, regardless if you were a collector cub member or not. If the Registry is truly open to everyone, then why is there a limitation? Shouldn’t it be the same for all?

3) With the addition of the date sets, classic sets, major varieties, complete varieties, combination sets, and different short sets, I can understand limiting the number of sets within a given series. We are one of the participants who has taken advantage of this in the past. But two sets per series would be more palatable (again, we have already used our submissions up so it will not effect us either way).

4) Would a little notice of the benefits change been fairer? Notice is always better, it could have started either July 1st with the new year for the Registry or January 1st with the start of the new calendar year.

Just thinking outloud,
    Caleb
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got murdered on the freebies. Guess when you think something is free you don't check it as well as when it costs full bore.
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    Looks like I got smacked as well. The silence from PCGS is deafening.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does that mean if you complete the 11 piece commem gold set you get none??
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>• There is a maximum of 3 free grades per year.
    >>

Ouch.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Talk about a major change....was there any kind of announcement?
  • Options

<< <i>Talk about a major change....was there any kind of announcement? >>

None to my knowledge. I only found out when I requested some free gradings early this week... and got a reply from BJ that a change was in the works. image
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    KozmanKozman Posts: 275 ✭✭
    It hurts here also. I have a few freebies which I qualified for and was going to request for the forms by the end of next month. I guess I am out of luck. PCGS could at least give us a cut off date for when this program would end. I used this service for upgrades of my merc collection and to get a true view at the same time. I guess my goal of getting half of my merc collection true viewed is beginning to fade. image
  • Options

<< <i>

None to my knowledge. I only found out when I requested some free gradings early this week... and got a reply from BJ that a change was in the works. image >>

That's exactly how I found out last week... was my first time ever requesting a free grading... talk about disappointment!!!!! I am still hopeful PCGS will at least honor the requests of those of us who requested our free gradings before the change was announced on their website. Will be watching my email image
  • Options
    Ah, crap! I was looking forward to some future free grades with some sets currently in progress. I was even already eligible to grade a gold $1, with the intent of finding a Type III to replace my Genuine. I guess there was too much playing the system; maybe people were building too many short-lived sets just for the free grades? Or, maybe they just were losing grading time and thus business revenue with too many freebies? Either way, I'm a bit disappointed. That, and, I, too, wish it had been announced in advance to give those holding out a chance to get their grades.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

None to my knowledge. I only found out when I requested some free gradings early this week... and got a reply from BJ that a change was in the works. image >>

That's exactly how I found out last week... was my first time ever requesting a free grading... talk about disappointment!!!!! I am still hopeful PCGS will at least honor the requests of those of us who requested our free gradings before the change was announced on their website. Will be watching my email image >>

Just got the email this morning... my request for the 6 free gradings I thought I was going to get was denied and I apparently only qualify for 1 free grading now under their new policy image

edited to add that I cancelled my request for free gradings if I was only going to get one... i had planned 6 coins to submit and i'm not prepared to narrow that down to a single coin to submit image
  • Options
    It also now occurs to me that since most of my core sets in progress are less than 20 coins, this strips my coin shopping incentive to favor, all other factors being equal, PCGS-graded coins over NGC. If I include NGC coins, my gold 12 coin type set is almost done.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    Any word for those of us who have free grading forms in hand, but have not yet submitted the coins? Will these be honored?

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Any word for those of us who have free grading forms in hand, but have not yet submitted the coins? Will these be honored? >>

I don't see why not if you have the signed form.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options

<< <i>Any word for those of us who have free grading forms in hand, but have not yet submitted the coins? Will these be honored? >>

I asked PCGS this question yesterday. I was told that we're good to go with any forms that have already been issued.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Still pretty bummed out about this sudden change in policy. Especially since I made my request before the change was made public.

After reading their new rules a little closer I now notice that you can no longer submit coins valued over $3000 for a free grading. I imagine that for some of the higher end sets that means none of the coins in the entire set could be sent in anyways.
  • Options
    RRRR Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    As a Registry participant with a many Registry awards, I'm disappointed in this change.

RR
    <html />
  • Options
    Way to keep collectors interested in completing a registry set. Keep up the good work PCGS.. image
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last month I sent in my 5 free Secure Plus gradings that I was given for my 116 coin Morgan Registry Set plus the 1 free quarterly special for Secure Plus. When you add that all up it is worth $390.00 of free gradings, so I can see why PCGS is cutting the fat on freebies with this new Secure Plus pricing. I came out 0-6 on the secure plus submission so I am happy that I did not waste my money.