Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

WOW! Just WOW!

Great Britain 1 Penny 1953 NGC MS 66 RD Elizabeth II
Current price: $146.27
End time: May-22-10 20:12:29 PDT

I had put this on my watch list last week, guess I won't be winning this one, and it still has 4 hours to go. I think I'll have to send a batch of moderns in for grading.

Comments

• Options
    In all due respect Jeff-you ain't seen nothing yet.

Check out the 1953 proof crown at $1,800 last time I checked.

Is " O...M with 50 some odd ebay feedbacks a genius, an idiot, a shill, or Warren Buffet just getting some jollies
    at the expense of the unwashed masses?

Be interesting to find out...
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    Sorry that's $1,600 at the close.

Maybe I'm living on the wrong planet...
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And now for questions followed by a comment...

What grade?

Was it a rare variety?

It seems surprising collectors would be willing to part with that kind of money - yikes

What will the 1746 LIMA crown fetch that is in the Goldberg Auction?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    With that kind of money I can buy R3 sixpences and Freeman R17 halfpennies. Sillier and sillier IMO.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I'm wiith you guys. The Penny is not the rare toothed border variety, just the normal beaded border that lists for 10 Pounds, at least the VIP Proof Crown lists for 600, it is a fairly scarce coin.

The only thing the penny has going for it is it's currently the highest graded I think, but there are still a bajillion of them out there to grade.
  • Options
    Spinks sold a couple of VIP crowns for 1.5 times their own catalogue (not auctioned) which I sadly was not in time to pick them up. So £600 x 1.5 is £900 or $1300. I chased that 1953 VIP to $1500 but gave up because of the likely 17.5% VAT on import I'd need to pay which would take it up to nearly $1800.
  • Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭

<< <i>Spinks sold a couple of VIP crowns for 1.5 times their own catalogue (not auctioned) which I sadly was not in time to pick them up. So £600 x 1.5 is £900 or $1300. I chased that 1953 VIP to $1500 but gave up because of the likely 17.5% VAT on import I'd need to pay which would take it up to nearly $1800. >>

Import VAT on coins to the UK is rated at 5%, not 17.5%. It still grates though when they were made here in the first place.
  • Options
    I thought it was 5% and in the past and I have paid 5%. The last time I had to pay it, last year, I'm sure I paid 17.5%. I had a quick search on the VAT website and couldn't pin it down to full or reduced rate as both seemed applicable for importing silver or gold collectables.
  • Options
    It's still crazy out there guys.

One bidder with 42 feedbacks seems to be driving the entire market for GB Elizabeth 11
    and George VI proofs.

I'm going to try on a couple tonight, probably lose again, then hunker down 'til he's spent out
    and some sanity returns to the market for the series...
  • Options
    flykiteflykite Posts: 147
    As the seller of the 1953 VIP coin, I can only say....thank you to that bidder! Throw out the book on prices right now!!

I want to thank all the participants in my 4 session auctions for the last month. The best thing I ever did was to open bidding up to include GB AUS NZ and SA bidders.

There were 5 bidders who really drove the bids in all my auctions....there is real demand out there.

Because of this, I have virtually abandoned US coins, as World numismatics has such a HUGE upside.

I want to thank all the participants; I will be back in the fall with more auctions (prices go soft from memorial day to labor day...vacation time!)

Ed